Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 07:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Feedback on a software idea

I have an idea for a software project to help with boat maintenance, but I’d like to run it past forum members first to see if it’s worth pursuing.

It's a system that enables you to catalogue your boat's equipment, track maintenance, find spares and access a community of knowledge to fix problems.

For example, let’s say you have a Yanmar 3JH5E engine in your boat. You find the engine in the software’s database and add it to the list of your boat equipment. This pulls through the maintenance schedule for the engine, a list of parts, equivalents parts & links to useful documents (service manual, videos etc).

The system provides reminders of when to service the engine e.g. change the oil and filters every 12 months or 250 hours. You can also use the system to look up the part number of the required oil filter and view a list of equivalent filters. Any maintenance work carried out is logged in the system, which you can search and filter.

The system also enables users to post questions against a piece of equipment, for other users to share their knowledge by answering them. I plan to prime the system with a list of common equipment and parts, but the idea is that users contribute to it by adding equipment and spares that they use - these are then available to other users to add to their boat’s equipment.

A good example of how this could be useful is when I recently replaced the bearings and oil seals on my Quick Aleph electric windlass. The bearing kit from Quick was very expensive but I found the equivalent SKF bearings and oil seals for sale at a fraction of the cost. Using the software I would be able to enter the original part numbers for the windlass and the equivalent SKF bearings and oil seals, which can then be referenced by anyone else with the same model of windlass.

The software would be web browser based and hosted on the Internet, so that you don't need to install anything on your computer and your data is always securely stored and backed up online. You would also be able to download your equipment list and maintenance history to your computer in case you needed access when not connected to the Internet, or you decide not to use the software anymore.

My plan is to make the software free to access for as long as possible. If it became very popular (a quality problem to have!), then I’d look at charging a small fee to help cover the cost of hosting the system - perhaps by charging a small fee for some premium features. But it would always be free for the early adopters.

Do you think this is something that you would personally find useful?

Are there any features that I’ve overlooked that you would want to see in the software?

Thanks in advance and I’d very interested in any feedback that you may have.
psedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:43   #2

Boat: X442
Re: Feedback on a software idea

I remember some similar discussions on this topic, one I can't find which I recall was very similar to your request but this one might be interesting to review:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-242853.html

I think the general opinion was that rather 'simple solutions' (pen and notebook, excel) were somewhat preferred.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:22   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Having to access your computer to get information on maintenance items means your boat will likely need to be plugged in at a slip. If you can afford a slip, you are probably paying someone else to do the maintenance, so don't need the information. Making the system 'phone-friendly' might help, but phone screens are not the best size to read directions from or to see diagrams. It might be worth determining your target market in better detail. It's not simply 'boat owners'. It's boat owners who do their own maintenance and who don't already have a system in place that works for them. Might not be a huge market.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 13:28   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
It might be worth determining your target market in better detail. It's not simply 'boat owners'. It's boat owners who do their own maintenance and who don't already have a system in place that works for them
And who have a good internet connection all the time.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:00   #5

Boat: Westerly Konsort

Maybe you can do a deal with some component suppliers and make a commission - even have the parts arrive before they are needed.
Halam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedman View Post
My plan is to make the software free to access for as long as possible. If it became very popular (a quality problem to have!), then I’d look at charging a small fee to help cover the cost of hosting the system - perhaps by charging a small fee for some premium features. But it would always be free for the early adopters.

Are there any features that I’ve overlooked that you would want to see in the software?
The natural market for this software would be service providers - eg a marina, boatyard or maybe a national marine store chain. They would contract with a provider to put up a branded version of this service, offered free to the business's customers to firm up relationships and loyalty and to generate repeat business.

As a stand-alone product, I don't think it would offer the average, experienced boat owner much more than their own notepad/calendar and pen. The internet graveyards are filled with similar endeavours (even from big companies) that are abandoned after 2 or 3 years, leaving the adopters to start from scratch again.

(I'm a retired web application developer)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:38   #7

Only obliquely related, but...
An app I would find useful would involve speech recognition and cataloging of reminders.
You would activate voice recording on your phone and say things like,
• "boat oil change fifteen June 2021"
• "car tire rotate one November 2022"
• "Lulubelle birthday six June 1966"
• "Want metric tap set".

The voice note would be parsed into text and stuck into the calendar of the phone and into a spreadsheet according to category like one sheet for Boat maintenance, etc. Reminders would be sent via emails/text as they come due.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:48   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee

I love the idea!
Please keep me in mind if you are able to get it done
I have a 1979 Cheoy Lee sloup offshore 38 with. Perkins 4

I am always looking for information on her
JRSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:57   #9

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalbay View Post
Only obliquely related, but...
An app I would find useful would involve speech recognition and cataloging of reminders.
You would activate voice recording on your phone and say things like,
• "boat oil change fifteen June 2021"
• "car tire rotate one November 2022"
• "Lulubelle birthday six June 1966"
• "Want metric tap set".

The voice note would be parsed into text and stuck into the calendar of the phone and into a spreadsheet according to category like one sheet for Boat maintenance, etc. Reminders would be sent via emails/text as they come due.
Digital assistants can already do that (create reminders). Siri, Cortana, Google, Bixby, take your pick. Unfortunately, that functionality requires internet connectivity.

Kamen
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:01   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedman View Post
I have an idea for a software project to help with boat maintenance, but I’d like to run it past forum members first to see if it’s worth pursuing.

It's a system that enables you to catalogue your boat's equipment, track maintenance, find spares and access a community of knowledge to fix problems.

For example, let’s say you have a Yanmar 3JH5E engine in your boat. You find the engine in the software’s database and add it to the list of your boat equipment. This pulls through the maintenance schedule for the engine, a list of parts, equivalents parts & links to useful documents (service manual, videos etc).

The system provides reminders of when to service the engine e.g. change the oil and filters every 12 months or 250 hours. You can also use the system to look up the part number of the required oil filter and view a list of equivalent filters. Any maintenance work carried out is logged in the system, which you can search and filter.

The system also enables users to post questions against a piece of equipment, for other users to share their knowledge by answering them. I plan to prime the system with a list of common equipment and parts, but the idea is that users contribute to it by adding equipment and spares that they use - these are then available to other users to add to their boat’s equipment.

A good example of how this could be useful is when I recently replaced the bearings and oil seals on my Quick Aleph electric windlass. The bearing kit from Quick was very expensive but I found the equivalent SKF bearings and oil seals for sale at a fraction of the cost. Using the software I would be able to enter the original part numbers for the windlass and the equivalent SKF bearings and oil seals, which can then be referenced by anyone else with the same model of windlass.

The software would be web browser based and hosted on the Internet, so that you don't need to install anything on your computer and your data is always securely stored and backed up online. You would also be able to download your equipment list and maintenance history to your computer in case you needed access when not connected to the Internet, or you decide not to use the software anymore.

Thanks in advance and I’d very interested in any feedback that you may have.
Yes, Yes, Yes! I would definitely use this. You’ve taken an old idea and made it more complete. To download and use offline is great. Crowd sharing is a huge positive. Access to how-to videos is great. Your specific’s listed are all excellent. I cant think of any particular features to add at the moment. I think you will add useful features as you progress. Thanks!
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:40   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

as long as it is downloadable I think it's a great idea. A step up from other programs.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:46   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

It sounds like a useful product to me.
I hate reinventing the wheel. The biggest hurdle I see is getting enough people to share their knowledge to make it useful.
Contrary to psk125's opinion, I have my boat in a marina but I, and some of my neighbours, do all our own maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:50   #13

So got this.

"Alexa, please perform all the necessary maintenance, repairs and replacements to my boat?"

"Alexa, swab the decks."

"Alexa, unplug the toilet and pump out the holding tank."

"Alexa, order and procure all the provisions for our next voyage."

"Alexa, make readiness for a bon voyage."

"Alexa, raise then trim the sails."

"Alexa, set course and maintain best VMG for our destination."

"Alexa, reef and trim the sails."

"Alexa, gybe the boat hard over."

"Alexa, calm the wind and the waves."

"Alexa, drop and make fast the anchor."

"Alexa, launch the dinghy."

"Alexa, raise and secure the dinghy."

"Alexa, raise and secure the anchor."

"Alexa, return the boat to the slip at the marina and make fast the mooring lines."

"Alexa, clean the galley."

"Alexa, scrub clean the bottom of the hull".

"Alexa, get me a cold beer!"

"Alexa, hold my beer!"

"Alexa, take care of our boat [named Alexa] until we return for another day sail."

"Good bye, Alexa."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Having to access your computer to get information on maintenance items means your boat will likely need to be plugged in at a slip. If you can afford a slip, you are probably paying someone else to do the maintenance, so don't need the information. ..................................

I have owned this boat for 23 years. I have always kept her in a slip. I have only had "someone else" do work on my boat twice in all that time. Once was new standing rigging, the other was an exhaust riser replacement that was beyond my abilities at the time (have since done it a few times myself).

This concept is nonsense.

That said, I agree that by keeping good records any skipper could do it with pencil & paper or a spreadsheet.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:16   #15

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

As a coastal trailer sailor, this would be perfect. I would only need access to it from home, and my boat is outside if I want to work on it.
I love the idea of being able to modify it so everyone else has access to the information, but I think that information would need to be monitored, as people may insert completely wrong information, or get sections jumbled up leaving a mess. Over time it could become really useful.
Also note that boats do last a really long time, so the database could become really large with all of the types and years etc. so be sure to plan for that.
Don't be put off by the naysayers in here, some people are old and crotchety, and would never use any newfangled web products, no matter how innovative they are.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software