Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2023, 09:42   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Feeding lines thru boom?

Hello

Replacing 3 worn lines inside my boom.

I have reason to believe they were not installed correctly by some previous owner. There seems to be undue friction when reefing, leading me to believe they do not run parallel and free within the boom.

So….how to feed 3 new lines in and have them not wrap each other? Is there a trick? I have a few ideas but nothing that I can think of would GUARANTEE 3 lines running perfectly in parallel the entire boom length.

Ideas?

Thank you

David
Seattle
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:48   #2

Re: Feeding lines thru boom?

Just one point : if they're outside the boom, you can see what's going on.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:14   #3

If they were outside the boom, I wouldn’t have the question.

They are all INSIDE the boom….
Old 07-04-2023, 10:16   #4

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Depends on what kind of reefing system that you have. Single line reefing systems have a shuttle block inside the boom that can be a problem. They often seem (at least, to me) to have more friction than other systems do.

Generally - just take the cap off the end of the boom so you can see what you're doing. Replacing it is relatively easy - the ones I've seen are either screwed or riveted on.

Otherwise - take your boom off the mast and stand it upright - feeding the lines by using gravity.

There may be other, and better ways - but these are the ones that I've used.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:30   #5

Pull/push all three lines at the same time. I generally use a little stick/rod as a toggle and attach all my lines to that, about 1/2"/1cm apart. Then pull that through the boom. Then use a flashlight to make sure it has not rolled on the way down, but if you keep a little tension on the ropes as they go in it generally won't roll. If you does, you unroll before detaching the lines, that way they all maintain their orientation vis-à-vis each other.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 12:04   #6

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
Pull/push all three lines at the same time. I generally use a little stick/rod as a toggle and attach all my lines to that, about 1/2"/1cm apart. Then pull that through the boom. Then use a flashlight to make sure it has not rolled on the way down, but if you keep a little tension on the ropes as they go in it generally won't roll. If you does, you unroll before detaching the lines, that way they all maintain their orientation vis-à-vis each other.

This was my first thought. I'd use on of the existing ones as a messenger line to pull the three new ones through and if successful, then remove any of the remaining old ones.

DD
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 13:29   #7

I get it….

But seems near impossible to feed all 3 lines together WITHOUT the bundle turning one way or another as it goes thru the length…..and a flashlight, looking in past the end caps, cannot see to the middle…

At least there is no way to know for sure if they went in without twisting…..or is there?
Old 07-04-2023, 14:25   #8

Boat: Moody 376

Remove the end cap on each end. Use topping lift and halyard to suspend the Boom this way you can sight through it while you are working the lines to ensure they don’t get mucked up.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:28   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

What about making a little cart with wheels that will roll down the inside of the boom? If you shape it so it fits but can't twist (because of the shape of the boom) or make it heavy enough, it won't twist. You can clear the inside of the boom of all the old lines but one and use that one to pull the cart - with your new lines attached - through.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:45   #10

If your really can't see down the boom with a light, pull a fourth string along with the lines, and then use that to pull back a flashlight, inspecting the inside for a rolled group of lines as you go.

But, I've found if I flake the lines, feed one from the port side, one from the starboard, and one (or more) down the middle, if you keep just a little tension on the outer lines on both sides they don't tend to roll. I gave up on pulling one at a time because it was too hard to keep them from crossing.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:53   #11

Pull the lines one at a time.

First line, place the boom on its port side, feed the line and fixture it taught against the port side.

Second line, place the boom on its starboard side, feed the line and fixture it taught against the starboard side so that the two lines are kept separate.

Third line, place the boom upright and feed the line and fixture it taught against the topside or bottom side.

Three lines will run true and not be crossed.

One can always run an endoscope to view the inside of the length of the boom for the positioning of the lines and an rubbing or entanglement with objects inside.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:53   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Hello

So….how to feed 3 new lines in and have them not wrap each other? Is there a trick? I have a few ideas but nothing that I can think of would GUARANTEE 3 lines running perfectly in parallel the entire boom length.

Ideas?
I would use each of the old lines as separate messengers for the replacements. But before you pull them through, run the length of the old lines out the uncapped boom end. Then thread each of those through a length of plastic conduit, cut to the length between the boom end and the line entrance. If any hang up before you get the whole length of conduit in, then you have a wrap - you should then be able to unwrap them by twisting the affected conduits around each other.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 16:25   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

I once used an electrician snake as a messenger to pull lines through my boom... Worked great. $15-30 bucks.
A la carte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:20   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Feeding lines thru boom?

Use an electricians push rod (similar to a fishing rod, mine is in 8 pieces 2’ long each and longer are avail

Push thru a pull line, pull the 1st one, secure, repeat being sure to keep clear of existing line.

http://www.pushpullrods.com/
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:49   #15
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Yes, there is a very easy trick. Get two supermagnets from the hardware store, any ordinary kind will do. Attach a lightweight messenger to one (tie it, tape, glue) and put it in your boom, possibly using a nonmagnetic stick if necessary. Use the second magnet on the outside to slide the inside magnet up the boom. Fish it out the other end. Because you are sliding up the side, you are guaranteed there are no wraps. No messing around with fish tapes. It's very easy.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote