Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2020, 07:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 22'
Feels Like the First Time

I thought it might be fun to ask the community about their first experiences with sailing. Specifically, how old you were when you first held a Main Sheet and what type of boat you learned to sail on.

I was 10 years old at a sailing camp named "Camp Cory" located on Keuka Lake (one of the Finger Lakes in Upstate NY). At the time, they had a fleet of wooden 'K' Boats to learn on. I have since sailed on many vessels - mostly small but fun. Lots of Sunfish, Sailfish, Hobie Cats, 'E' Scows etc.

Now at 60 years, my GF and I enjoy weekends with our kids and grand-kids on Seneca Lake aboard our 22' Catalina.

I do fantasize about what it would be like to sail the world. I follow the YouTube channel of "Sailing La Vagabond' - and of course, follow many threads by this community.

Thank to all for your amazing stories and helpful information.
ScruffyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:25   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Feels Like the First Time

I didn't start till later in life. Must have been mid-30s before I stepped on board a sailboat; a O'Day 22'. Before that I'd never thought of it as an interesting activity, and certainly had no awareness of it as a lifestyle.

Now at 52 my only home is my boat, and I'm off cruising for about 1/2 of each year (still in Canada, so in winters we do other things). For me, it has never been about sailing. It's about the lifestyle that a cruising sailboat allows.

Don't get me wrong; I like sailing. It's a great way to move my little floating home around. But I don't really sail for fun. I do it because it's relatively inexpensive, and environmentally more friendly.

BTW, sailing vlogs like La Vagabond are interesting and entertaining, but they're not very reflective of the real world of cruising. If you want to get a real sense of cruising you should take your 22-footer over to the Thousand Islands, and spend a few weeks cruising around. That will give you a taste of the lifestyle.