Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 01:42   #31

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Seems like good advice ,,, once I find out what an “ op-shop “ and “ sweat pants “ are I might give it a try !!
For the latter, point your browser to: https://www.imagescotland.com/catalo...s/Sweat-Pants/

For the former, visit your local charity shop and look for an opportunity.
Old 23-12-2017, 02:37   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
For the latter, point your browser to: https://www.imagescotland.com/catalo...s/Sweat-Pants/

For the former, visit your local charity shop and look for an opportunity.
Thanks, Alan... didn't think that language understood by a Yank/Aussie transplant would not be comprehensible to a Scot. Divided by a common language and all that.

Jim
Old 23-12-2017, 03:25   #33

Omg , another Americanism , “ trackie bottoms “ to the rest of us , thank you both , will check that out ��
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 04:40   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If store-bought fender covers have prices that bring tears to your eyes, run down to the nearest op-shop and buy a few old pairs of sweat pants. Hack off the legs at appropriate lengths for your fenders, poke some holes (or go fancy with eyelets) and thread some small stuff through the holes to gather the ends et voila, very cheap fender covers!

Jim
I've done the sweat pants thing. In my experience store-bought fender covers last about 5x times as long and are somewhat self cleaning given the material and the weave.

I've got better things to do than keep running to Walmart and sewing covers to save a few bucks. While the price of fender covers does seem like highway robbery, in the long run I think they are worth it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 08:01   #35

Tried WD40 , no good , but did take off some bits of tar , will try some diluted bleach nxt
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 08:38   #36

Would not be too surprised if you have reached the limit of the stain removal on these fenders. But good luck. As an example related to another recommendation, we currently have two sets of whitewall tires to keep white and all that is necessary is a dish soap and brush or green scrubby pad. However whitewall tires are not gloss finished as most boat fenders are. So again, good luck with this endeavor.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 11:42   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
However whitewall tires are not gloss finished as most boat fenders are.
And more importantly, tires are not commonly fabricated from PVC! Very different properties, including stain removal.

Jim
Old 23-12-2017, 12:15   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The first fender covers I ever saw, were T-shirts that people put over their fenders to keep the gunk off the topsides.

Eventually made some, including out of "trackie bottoms". I tried various fabrics. What I finally settled on has been some polyester canvas. Although made for outdoor use, it has faded more than I would like. Acrylic canvas (sunbrella), lacks chafe resistance, and so do trackie bottoms. They hold up fine till they have to cope with stone wharfs, or rough timber. I usually sew up the tear, and let it live till I hit another discount fabric shop. I don't mind making them, long ago made a pattern for the teardrop "mighty fender", the others do not require a pattern.

I hear what Suijin is saying, though, his fender covers may last longer than mine, but then, I get to play with the colors scheme. The grey color of the trackie bottoms/sweat pants goes well with my hatch dodger and cockpit dodger.

I guess this speaks to the diversity of the yachting community. We build on our skills, and we have different values. An old friend (r.i.p. Jean) used to re-do her salon cushion covers every two years. Never bought fancy material, but materials typical of the area in which she was cruising. It was a lovely nod to the area.

Ann
Old 03-02-2018, 03:09   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I discovered Roll-Neck fender covers while in Martinique a couple of years ago. Great product. Way more cost effective than the stoopid over priced fender covers common in the USA market...not quite as cost effective as an old t-shirt, but looks much better. [emoji6]

I just replaced most of my terminally old fenders. Immediately covered the new ones with Roll-Neck. Salvaged one of the better old ones this way too.

You can now buy them on Amazon, but if shipping to the USA it will take a few weeks to get to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-Neck-Boa...f_=sxts_1&sr=1
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender