Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 20:21   #1

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft
Finally went sailing - first time ever ... alone

It was awesome.

One of the most amazing things ive ever done.
LOVED IT ... on so many levels.

Lets start

i have a 16 foot trailer sailer, swing keel.

Starting off i was a bit uneasy doing this alone. Arrived at the public boat launch to find myself among dozens of powerboaters I took about 40 minutes to raise the mast (needed help from a bystander).

After so many odd looks from folks with motor boats I took my boat in the water. Docked it ... amazing how many people were willing to help, this was really helpful. Not necessary but definitely helpful.

While docked i had many issues ... one such issue was the i forgot to rig the rope that holds the boom up. Tried to down the mast alone while the boat was in the water ... not a good idea. After i got the mast back up with the rope in place (this time in the water i was able to raise the mast alone)

Im now happy that im almost ready to go, got my little motor hooked up. I start putting up the mainsail ... raise it. As i am starting on the jib another sailboat pulls in, as im doing this the guy (obviously realized i dont know what im doing ) tells me in a really nice polite way that he usually just puts up the sails while hes out there ... finds it easier. Awesome

I power my little motor after i pull down the jib and main. This motor is a 4hp beast, going at a whopping 1/2 mile an hour . Takes me about 5 - 10 minutes to get out to the water. I finally cut the engine and put up the main.

HOLLY CHRIST ... this was sooo awesome when the wind filled the sails and the boat started to move. I was moving faster then the motor,i found it amazing and very relaxing. I went up in this direction for a some distance ( im not sure how much ) visually was affraid to go too far that my motor would not be able to keep up and id have to paddle. I do a turn, boat keels slightly .. i adjust the rudder boat keels some more and IT BLOODY picksup ... now its FUN and fast.

I did this a few times and decided to put up the jib ... one thing worth mentioning here is that the boat amazingly heaved to on its own ... which IS INCREDIBLY useful. I did watch some videos of people doing it ... didnt imagine i ever need it so soon (yes i know)

Managed to rig up the jib ... this is where it got hard ... really really hard. I did not manage to work both jib and main in a sucessful manner. Tried a few times but with the jib up i was unable to control the direction of the boat. This is where i stopped and took down the jib, ran on main alone.

Next time i think i will start with the jib first.

Also got a few chuckles looking at the motor boats thinking of rising gas prices I do know what that is since i had a motor boat prior to this.

Some things that happened to me: Mast went down once while docked. Mast almost went down a second time ... luckily going back with no sails. The haliard unscrewed itself somehow and mast slightly leaned left ... this caused a bit of damage. The wood pole under the mast sounded like it cracked.

In retrospect the mast issues were because i did not spend adequate time fixing the haliards when i was on shore ... now i know the haliards have to be tight.

Cant wait for the next time

its hard to do alone with the jib. If anyone can shoot me some pointers, other then get someone else to help I would greatly appreciate it.

And if you red this far, thank you
Andrei123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 20:31   #2

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: Finally went sailing - first time ever ... alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei123 View Post
It was awesome.

It only gets better from here! Thanks for the take along

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 20:36   #3

As one old philosepher said,The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step. You have just taken the first step. GOOD ON YOU!____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 03:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Well done. Do you have a picture of your boat? Here are some bullet points I thought of in reading your posts...

- Dont know about the stability of your boat. If it capsizes can you right it?
- The halyards not being tight are probably shrouds. Halyards pull up sails. Shrouds stabilize the mast.
- you say the boat is "keeling" in a turn but you probably mean heeling.
- in higher winds do you know how to reduce sail prerssure and avoid capsize?

Have fun and be careful.

Tacking Alone
When I sail single handed I cleat the main sail and dont worry about it first. The tiller is between my knees and I am standing facing forward. I release the old working sheet and haul the new working sheet as I steer with my knees. I cleat the jib once I get it close, adjust the main then final trim the jib. It is not easy alone, nor efficient but you can do it.

If you boat sail plan is appropriate you can forget hoisting the jib and have a lot of fun on main alone. Hoist the jib when you have a crew.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 04:59   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

I did this a few times and decided to put up the jib ... one thing worth mentioning here is that the boat amazingly heaved to on its own ... which IS INCREDIBLY useful. I did watch some videos of people doing it ... didnt imagine i ever need it so soon (yes i know)

Managed to rig up the jib ... this is where it got hard ... really really hard. I did not manage to work both jib and main in a sucessful manner. Tried a few times but with the jib up i was unable to control the direction of the boat. This is where i stopped and took down the jib, ran on main alone.
its hard to do alone with the jib. If anyone can shoot me some pointers, other then get someone else to help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing .
Did you have the swing keel down? Boat will hard to handle (especially for beginner) with the keel up.

FWIW, the very first time I sailing, I used the main only, the second time, jib only, neither was that successful but the third time was wonderful with both jib and main. Then I realized that sailing is always about balance and having learning more ever since (>30 yrs)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 04:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Wow! You took me back to my first time.... THANKS!
Old 21-05-2012, 05:22   #7

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

A storey likely repeated a hundred times yesterday. Here is mine...

I have been working on the old Albacore. Last fall I dug out the old foam that was glued to the underside of the front deck and replaced it with new pink stuff. I broke apaty the tiller into it's 3 laminates and epoxied it together again, and then painted a coat of epoxy on it. .This past week, I installed an inspection port in the front chamber, after digging out the old foam, mouse nest and seed husks. I then cut a 2x8 foot 2 inch piece of foam into 4 inch strips and stuffed most of it into the chamber. The seat chambers had air hiss out when I opened up their bungs, and very little water came out of the port side (I started writing left side!) , so I'm leaving them alone. My wife and I cut out the mouse chew damage in the mail sail and sewed patches on. Like me, the boat is middle aged and ugly.

Yesterday there was a little fart of a wind, so we headed to the local lake about 1 mile away late afternoon. We didn't get going, because the mailsail was jamming on the way up. Backed out, came home, and sorted out the halyard and sail issues with the mast on a pair of saw horses.

Today we set out again. Heading up to a real lake about 20 miles away.

All you new sailors, and ones like me newly back to it, enjoy!

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:00   #8

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25

Quote:
It was awesome.

One of the most amazing things ive ever done.
LOVED IT ... on so many levels.

Lets start

Starting off i was a bit uneasy doing this alone. Arrived at the public boat launch to find myself among dozens of powerboaters I took about 40 minutes to raise the mast (needed help from a bystander).

After so many odd looks from folks with motor boats I took my boat in the water. Docked it ... amazing how many people were willing to help, this was really helpful. Not necessary but definitely helpful.

While docked i had many issues ... one such issue was the i forgot to rig the rope that holds the boom up. Tried to down the mast alone while the boat was in the water ... not a good idea. After i got the mast back up with the rope in place (this time in the water i was able to raise the mast alone)

Im now happy that im almost ready to go, got my little motor hooked up. I start putting up the mainsail ... raise it. As i am starting on the jib another sailboat pulls in, as im doing this the guy (obviously realized i dont know what im doing ) tells me in a really nice polite way that he usually just puts up the sails while hes out there ... finds it easier. Awesome

I power my little motor after i pull down the jib and main. This motor is a 4hp beast, going at a whopping 1/2 mile an hour . Takes me about 5 - 10 minutes to get out to the water. I finally cut the engine and put up the main.

HOLLY CHRIST ... this was sooo awesome when the wind filled the sails and the boat started to move. I was moving faster then the motor,i found it amazing and very relaxing. I went up in this direction for a some distance ( im not sure how much ) visually was affraid to go too far that my motor would not be able to keep up and id have to paddle. I do a turn, boat keels slightly .. i adjust the rudder boat keels some more and IT BLOODY picksup ... now its FUN and fast.

Next time i think i will start with the jib first.

Also got a few chuckles looking at the motor boats thinking of rising gas prices I do know what that is since i had a motor boat prior to this.

Some things that happened to me: Mast went down once while docked. Mast almost went down a second time ... luckily going back with no sails. The haliard unscrewed itself somehow and mast slightly leaned left ... this caused a bit of damage. The wood pole under the mast sounded like it cracked.

In retrospect the mast issues were because i did not spend adequate time fixing the haliards when i was on shore ... now i know the haliards have to be tight.

I'm happy to read your experience.
But if you don't mind my humble advice, it's better always to get the sails up before to cut the engine, just for safety reasons. And the opposite when we are going to start the engine: first start the engine, then put the sais down.
best wishes and thanks for sharing
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:16   #9

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Oh boy!!

Now it's in your blood
Welcome and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
You will find mostly great (like that above) advice here. Sailing is GREAT decompression.
Stressful day...go sailing...MUCH better.

pretty soon, you will be asking about what boat to buy to sail around the world

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:23   #10

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Isn't it wonderful.....I will never forget my first sailboat ( 23.5 ft Hunter w/swing keel) or the adventures I had single handing and w/friends....
There is nothing like it in the world...good and the terrifying...its all good...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing