Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2024, 01:07   #1

First crossing from Chessapeak to Bermuda, any tips?

So we are going to be doing our first bigger crossing from the Chesapeake to Bermuda in November. We have sailed for the past 2 summers on the great lakes and then came down the Erie and onto the Chesapeake. Our plan is to head over to bermuda and down to the bahamas.

Our boat is a well equipped and maintained Moody 425 with a watermaker, plenty of solar, auto pilot, etc. We also have an EPIRB, starlink, Radar, AID receiving, offshore liferaft, iridium, and hydrovane. So I think we have the basic gear and safety stuff covered. We will have 3 people on board to split up watches.

Our plan is to head out in late October or early November. We figured we would engage Chris Parker to provide weather and departure help and just wait until we have a nice window to take off. Once there we have all the time in the world to explore Bermuda and wait for a nice window down to the Bahamas.

So my questions for all of you who have done this route before are:

If we don't have to be anywhere until next summer is this the best route to take? We are basically going to spend all winter in the Caribbean and then head back up to the Cessapeak for hurricane season. Should we consider going straight down from Bermuda to the BVI's or Puerto Rico? Or are there any other routes that you'd suggest?

what other things should we consider for our departure?

What other advice can you offer?
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:19   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: First crossing from Chessapeak to Bermuda, any tips?

If you go to the Bahamas you have a long way to go (to windward) to get to the Eastern Caribbean. If you want to go to the EC for the winter don't go to the Bahamas on the way down. The prevailing wisdom is that you go east from the Chesapeake to about 65°E and then hang a right so you can reach to whatever target you want - Virgins, St Martin, etc. In general, you probably don't want to stop in Bermuda on the way down if you have favourable conditions to keep going. You can go to Bermuda on the way back and it will be much warmer in May(ish) than November.

WRT to hurricane season you can go north to the Chesapeake or south, to at least Grenada. If you are staying on the boat for the summer/fall you can go wherever you want in the EC but be prepared to go to Grenada or Trinidad if necessary.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:30   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

If you use a weather router such as Chris Parker and have a lot of time on your hands, you might want to re-think heading all the way out to Bermuda to make sufficient easting for either the Bahamas or the windward islands.

I've done the trip from Norfolk to the BVI/St. Martin a couple of times now and have waited until I could (almost) make the whole distance on beeline course.

I just returned from Bermuda to Norfolk a month ago - that is 600 miles (I also sailed th 600+ miles from Newport to Bermuda; plus the Norfolk-Newport delivery)!

Unless you really want to visit Bermuda (and can afford it), you might want to re-think your passage planning the recommendations you get here strongly depend on whether or not you are going to make that detour.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
If you use a weather router such as Chris Parker and have a lot of time on your hands, you might want to re-think heading all the way out to Bermuda to make sufficient easting for either the Bahamas or the windward islands.

I've done the trip from Norfolk to the BVI/St. Martin a couple of times now and have waited until I could (almost) make the whole distance on beeline course.

I just returned from Bermuda to Norfolk a month ago - that is 600 miles (I also sailed th 600+ miles from Newport to Bermuda; plus the Norfolk-Newport delivery)!

Unless you really want to visit Bermuda (and can afford it), you might want to re-think your passage planning the recommendations you get here strongly depend on whether or not you are going to make that detour.

We were planning on going to Bermuda simply because we haven't been there and it seems like a neat place to visit. If you had the time is it worth the trip just to go there?
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A trip to Bermuda can take around 7 days, and it's hard to predict the weather 7 days out.

Additionally, you'll have to contend with the Gulf Stream and it's many meanders.
Several weather routers are available, whether you chose to use them or not. If you are not racing, their services might be moot.

Somewhere along the line you are bound to have some foul weather, especially in November, so expect that.
Finally, when you get there, bring a fat wallet. Bermuda is expensive. It's mandatory you have a " dark and stormy" on arrival. Maybe two or three even.

I have sailed directly from Bermuda to the Abaco's and experienced some of the worst weather I've ever been in. Not to say you will, but can happen.

Once you make it to the Abaco's, you can chill for the remainder of your voyage.

Your boat sounds well equipped and with 3 onboard, you'll be fine.

Have a good trip !!

Bermuda is ringed with reefs, so take care on your approach. I've done several trips there and have always chosen to come in at St. George's on the NE side.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

I should tell you that Bermuda has a Harbor Master. Their office is on a hill at St. George's.
They like for you to check in by radio prior to arrival, so don't forget to do that.
Once there, scooters are everywhere and you can rent these to see the place. There is also excellent bus service anywhere you want to go.

You'll enjoy your time. Bermuda is off course, very British, and well worth a visit.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:35   #7
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

One piece of advice I've not seen above - when going from the Chesapeake to Bermuda, once you hit the gulf stream, get across it as fast as possible. If you are sailing with good wind/speed great, but keep your boat speed up so if you need to add in your motor to stay close to hull speed - do so. You don't want to get stuck in the gulf stream with a change of wind/weather - just get across it as fast as your boat can go. Plus remember it will be pushing you north so account for that with your route planning.

dj

p.s. are you registered with sailclear? You'll want to register and use that for bringing your boat and crew into Bermuda.
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:03   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'll second if you want to go to the eastern Caribbean do not go to the Bahamas first--it is a long slog to windward from the Bahamas to Puerto Rico and the Virgins. Better to hit the Bahamas on the way back in the spring, but it is also a great route to go say VI to Bermuda and then to Newport. That route will have favorable winds the whole way unless you get a cold front as you approach the USA. Needless to say, avoid northers in the Gulf Stream whenever possible!
Old 04-08-2024, 08:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

An easy up to date visual reference for wind, waves and Gulf Stream location is:
Mike's weather page.

https://spaghettimodels.com/

Take a close look at the " Gulf Stream" chart and you will note the many twist and turns it takes, plus spins of numerous of twirls, etc.

The Gulf Stream should not be feared. It can get boisterous in a north wind ( wind against current conditions), but it is generally quite manageable, especially so as your route is in general SE direction. The waves will get big, but are generally spaced reasonably far apart. Just reef down and hammer thru'.
Off the east coast of Florida, the GS runs north lickity split, hence the bad reputation in a north wind, but further up north the current speed is not as dramatic.
One way or another, you will have to cross it, or even ride it, if flowing in the right direction.

The E Carib is nice, but if diving and fishing, etc, is your thing, it's tough to beat the B'mas.
Old 09-08-2024, 07:40   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42

I would skip Bermuda and agree it is a tough passage from the Bahamas to roughly St. Martin/St. Marteen. We’ve done that passage and would not do it again. Take I-65 and hit the Bahamas on your return.

My wife and I love the EC. You will experience far more of the real Caribbean in the EC. Due to the close proximity of the Bahamas to the U.S. the Bahamas have lost some of their Caribbean character. Our first visit to the Bahamas was over 40 years ago. Don’t misunderstand, we love the Bahamas and the Bahamian people, but the EC is much more diverse.
Old 09-08-2024, 07:55   #11

Boat: Hylas 49

If this is your first trip, try contacting the Salty Dawgs which organize rallies each year from Hampton to Antigua or Bahamas. Some members stop in Bermuda. As a newbie there are lots of benefits to cruising in company.
Mbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 08:03   #12

I plan on doing the same, in oct-Nov 2025 on a Pearson 32. I won't have the size or all the equipment you have but, but I will equip it before I leave.

I like the idea of getting through the GS quick and with power if needed. Any idea how many days worse case scenario to cross averaging 5 knots?

I won't have a wind vane as much as I'd like. Will have AIS B, auto helm, life raft, plan on new running rigging, new ocean mainsail, gib and geneoa, harness and jacklines, 200 watts solar, 200AH house battery, 2 start batteries, lots of water and spam. Actually no spam. I will maybe use a Garmin Inreach or something similar, and maybe get an EPIRB

Probably going to just be two of us.
sfomarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 08:45   #13

Boat: Sabre 402

Just spoke with a friend who got caught in a Gulf Stream eddy returning from Bermuda to NY. They were sailing at almost eight knots but only making four over the ground for 20 hours. To get out of it they had to head West for two days instead of their desired Northerly course. Weather and overall conditions in the Gulf Stream can be quite nasty even in summer. At one point we had three waterspouts in sight at the same time. Crossing in November calls for being very wary.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 12:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Positioning yourself to get the most of the Gulf Stream is important.

Check out the Gulf Stream forecast here: https://www.passageweather.com/maps/...a/mappage2.htm
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 15:49   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Go as far EAST in the Caribbean as you can. The Virgins to St Martin can be a slog. I would aim for at leat St Martin or even better Antigua. Don't worry about missing SXM , you can vist on your way back.

Frankly I see no need to come back to the states or Canada. You are better off in hurricane season in Grenada or Trinidad if hurricane is your only consideration.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda