Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 18:50   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: First impression of Caribbean after arriving from the Med

Who is putting in the new engine? I had Gordon with St. Maarten Diesel put two in my Cat. He did a fair job, though there were a few small overlooked issues that could have had major consequences. The bolts holding my port shaft to the transmission all came off and a hose clamp from my water heater to the engine wasn't properly clamped to the motor, causing the hose to rupture. If you need any small work done on gel coat or interior wood work I've a few names. Also, electronics and miscellaneous mechanical work.
Old 02-01-2015, 19:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Who is putting in the new engine? I had Gordon with St. Maarten Diesel put two in my Cat. He did a fair job, though there were a few small overlooked issues that could have had major consequences. The bolts holding my port shaft to the transmission all came off and a hose clamp from my water heater to the engine wasn't properly clamped to the motor, causing the hose to rupture. If you need any small work done on gel coat or interior wood work I've a few names. Also, electronics and miscellaneous mechanical work.
Thanks for asking and thanks for your feedback. I know Gordy as he quoted me on the Yanmar. I'm using a fellow named Lindsay who is the Beta dealer down here. Looked at his work and lots of discussions,seems like a straight shooter. I'm OK on everything else as far as I know. Thanks again for your kind offer. Happy New Year, Robert
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 20:02   #18
cruiser

I'm a Caribbean fan who has never even thought about cruising the Med. To me no water on Earth is as beautiful as the Caribbean water and the sun cant be beat. I guess my main concern about a Med cruise would be the distance. I have done blue water cruising but not trans-oceanic trips.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 14:51   #19

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Thanks everyone. Very helpful information for a novice like me.
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:07   #20

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Robert, that was a really good synopsis. I only spent two years in the Caribbean and then only weeks at a time but I've no desire to leave the Med for there.

You pays ya money and takes your choice. Having cruised both I can agree with some, but a long way from all of Robert's opinions/findings; I certainly won't be heading back to the Med anytime soon.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:14   #21

Thanks, we all view things differently which is a wonderful thing about the human experience.
Old 03-01-2015, 15:21   #22

Boat: Catana 471

Thanks, robert sailor for your observations. I have not cruised the Med, but at one time it was in the master plan. Being from the east coast of the US, the Carib and Bahamas were/are a natural, tropical cruising destination for me - and I'm well on my way to seeing all of it. No one should be surprised that the Carib has nothing on the Med as regards history and culture. Apples and oranges, or maybe apples and potatoes. Indeed, perhaps a contrasting rather than a comparison should be the approach here.

Anyway, I have met numerous and gracious cruiser folks in the Carib and Bahamas who either were from Europe or had already cruised the Med. When I described my earlier intentions to cross the pond and cruise the Med, almost unanimously they looked at me like I had two heads, "Why would you want to do that?? Are you crazy?? You silly North Americans! You have the best sailing right here!" Inevitably, it came down to sailing vs touring. I have subsequently decided to tour Europe from a land base....

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 20:13   #23
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Robert, that was a really good synopsis. I only spent two years in the Caribbean and then only weeks at a time but I've no desire to leave the Med for there.

You pays ya money and takes your choice. Having cruised both I can agree with some, but a long way from all of Robert's opinions/findings; I certainly won't be heading back to the Med anytime soon.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean with the first sentence but the rest sounds good.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:45   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sardean.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39   #25

Boat: Leopard 40

We lived in Europe for years and spent a good deal of time around the Med. We live in the Caribbean now. I don't think you can compare the two, they are very different worlds. That said, I am really looking forward to crossing the pond in 2016. I want to see everything from the water.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:55   #26

[QUOTE=Tom and Maje;1714667]We lived in Europe for years and spent a good deal of time around the Med. We live in the Caribbean now. I don't think you can compare the two, they are very different worlds. That said, I am really looking forward to crossing the pond in 2016. I want to see everything from the water.

Hey Maje,
Yes they are literately worlds apart and a normal dirt dweller would never compare them but folks here are sailors and that is what makes them a destination to compare. R
Old 04-01-2015, 07:02   #27

Boat: Leopard 40

[QUOTE=robert sailor;1714686]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We lived in Europe for years and spent a good deal of time around the Med. We live in the Caribbean now. I don't think you can compare the two, they are very different worlds. That said, I am really looking forward to crossing the pond in 2016. I want to see everything from the water.

Hey Maje,
Yes they are literately worlds apart and a normal dirt dweller would never compare them but folks here are sailors and that is what makes them a destination to compare. R
Don't kid yourself. Dirt dwellers compare as well. A destination is a destination whether you are on land or on water. I have not sailed in the Med yet, but I have in the Caribbean. I think they are both wonderful places, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Lots of friendly cruisers in the Caribbean, many more than the Med which are mostly holiday sailors and charters.
Wind that is somewhat predictable..you can sail here almost all of the time compared to the Motorterranean.
Food is expensive and second rate in quality compared to the Med
Weather is wonderful
Unbelievable chandleries larger than I have seen even on the mainland and reasonable prices compared to the Med.
Real good anchorages
First impression is that it is not as safe here
Islands are usually day sails away from each other.
Lathering up with deet everyday to avoid getting bitten from mosquitoes and getting sick.
Lousy wifi and expensive internet
Limited local culture (young area)
Lock up everything or lose it
Good snorkeling and diving
Short days
Limited economies mostly tourism
Warm winters mean family and friends like to visit
Insurance is almost double
Cheap rum
Island time for trades/suppliers
They speak English here
Hurricane season
Towns and cities are ramshackle in quality and appearance

Looking back on the Med,
Better have a good engine as you will be using it a lot. Fuel is close to 2 Euro a liter in places
Unbelievable selection of fresh fruits and vegetables not matched anywhere we have traveled. Tomatoes taste like the ones that came from the garden when you were a kid. Oranges that when peeled you can smell from 50 feet. Prices are cheap and the quality is unmatched. The weekly outdoor markets will be forever missed.
No issues with mosquitoes and the diseases that come with them.
Reliable and cheap internet
Site seeing history and culture that can take your breath away.
Never needing to lock your dingy or your boat
Many excellent anchorages
Very safe everywhere we visited

Snorkeling can best be described as lousy and the most exciting thing you will see is your anchor.
More night life with much longer days
Insurance is cheaper, as in half.
Long distance for visitors and competing seasons.
Cheap wine
Trades and suppliers generally on time
No hurricanes
More sailboats than you have ever seen in your life
Tourists by the millions almost everywhere in high season
Some of the finest architecture in the world
having spent 4 years in the caribbean, both western and eastern, and so far 2 years in the med, you are pretty much spot on. not sure on insurance if you duck out of hurricane.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:33   #29

[QUOTE=Tom and Maje;1714692]
Quote:

Don't kid yourself. Dirt dwellers compare as well. A destination is a destination whether you are on land or on water. I have not sailed in the Med yet, but I have in the Caribbean. I think they are both wonderful places, but it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Maje
OK but if you haven't sailed the Med yet how can you have an opinion of the sailing there other than reading/discussing other peoples opinion?? Either way good to hear you are heading there, you'll have the time of your life. R
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48   #30

Quote:
Thanks for the directions Dave, we have been to your suggested stores and listen to the net at 7:30am each day. The food here is much lower quality than the Med which is much higher quality than the USA or Canada and the prices here are about double what we were used to in the Med.
Why leave the Med?

While each location has attributes, you appraise the Caribe so low, what did you want to accomplish with your post?

Will you go back to the Med, or over to Bristol?

It seems like you are enjoying life and seeing the best parts of the world. As a foodie, I would choose the Med, but in the Caribe the women are far more willing to share their beauty.

I'm just sayin'
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib