Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2005, 06:52   #1

Send a message via AIM to GrayGoose
Wink First offshore at night

My first offshore at night is kinda modest: from NY harbor, Liberty Island, south out between Staten Island and Brooklyn, hang a left onto roughly 090, following the south shore of Long Island 125miles, past Montauk point and to Block Island's Great Salt Pond. I've read Coast Pilot's and gone over the course, prevailing winds are south westerly. Any sage advice from experienced cruisers? Thanks.
Jack:
Old 20-03-2005, 14:27   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Beyond all the normal 'sage' advice, just prepare the boat, have the safety stuff done, pick a reasonable weather window and go sailing and enjoy
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 16:17   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
If the weather is at all questionable, take the inside route through Long Island Sound. It may even be shorter if you are coming down the Hudson. There is no place to tuck in on the south shore should the weather turn until you get to Montauk. When you arrive in the Great Salt Pond at Block Island, get a slip or mooring. The holding is terrible. It is slick mud that will not be your friend in a blow.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 13:31   #4

Send a message via AIM to GrayGoose
First Offshore at Night

Jim, I tried to email you directly, but it was disallowed; don't know why. Thanks for your safe advice, but I've sailed out the north shore four times, anchoring all the way, and on to Block Island. I want a little more risk--just a little more---and it seemed a reasonable risk since two friends also made it their first overnight sail. I figure if I watch all safety equipment carefully, and choose my weather window carefully, the 30 hours should be okay. I need to increase the risk to increase my skills. I want offshore. Thanks again.
Jack
Old 21-03-2005, 20:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
All the Best Jack. Becarefull about wishing more risk when it is the Sea you are wishing it to.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 08:31   #6
cruiser

Exclamation What to Watch Out For

Hi,

I have done this route as well as the LI Sound route several times in my 30' O'day. Here are some items to be aware of on your trip:

*Weather - The southern side of Long Island has relatively few harbors suitable for sailboats. Try for a good window.

*Fatigue - It's a long trip to singlehand, since you are close to shore and will encounter heavy traffic. Me and my wife together even were up against some fatigue doing this trip in a shot without stopping. Hopefully, you have some crew to make it less tiring.

*Traffic - The commercial vessels going into NY Harbor and Buzzards Bay / Long Island Sound are numerous. Frequenly, you will find tugs pulling barges with extremely long steel cables between the two. Be very aware of this setup at night and in when visibility is reduced. A fair number of boats (both private and commercial) have fallen victim to this tug/barge setup.

When do you leave? Soon? It will be a chilly one this time of year!

Take Care,

Sean
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote