Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 04:51   #1

First time Bareboat Sailer

Hi Folks,

So here is the plan, been a power boater most of my life so have pretty good experience on the water but not a sailer, just some day sailing experience. Just read and studied the ASA 101, 103, and 104 books and am heading for the certification course in Late December/ January. Then want to book a Bareboat charter in the Caribbean in February but not being familiar with the area and of course the issue with the Irma am looking for advice for the best area to charter. We would like to explore many small harbours with great little pubs and local flair. We would like to eat out most or even all evenings. It will just be my wife and I age 45 and 50. I am thinking that we will charter a 35+/- foot monohull and thinking 7 to 10 days. All advice would be greatly appreciated. including locations, best value charter companies, and must see places to go etc.

Thank you,
billhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:37   #2

Re: First time Bareboat Sailer

Once you complete your courses, you’ll know better whether you will be comfortable with a bareboat cruise. If you still “wonder” then the charter company is happy to provide a skipper for a day (or two) for a couple of hundred a day. One day skipper, after your certifications, might give you the confidence to complete the charter. You may find that the charter companies will require you to take a skipper for one day, just so they feel you are confident and capable.

With that said, and not addressing the BVIs current or future situation, sailing there is really not difficult. To me, it was very similar to sailing in a lake. You have land everywhere (unless going to Anegada), so you’re hardly every more than just a quick motoring away from a harbor is you feel uncomfortable.

Because you feel confident with powerboats, whenever you feel out of your realm you can simply drop the sails and motor.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:59   #3

Thanks for the reply, my issue really isn't whether I'm comfortable Bareboating but I also have no issue with hiring a captain for a day if I'm not. I'm really just trying to figure out where to go. Everything I read basically says that BVI's are the place to go but I just don't want to be disappointed on what I see when I get there due to Irma. Will I still enjoy the BVI's more than another sailing area that has not been hit by Irma, like St.Lucia for example? Also if someone has chartered with specific company or even a boat in the 35 foot range that they were very happy with, that info would be great as well.
billhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:26   #4

Being disappointed by the BVIs is always based on one’s expectations. If you expect everything on land to be the same as any trip report prior to Sept 17, then you will be sorely disappointed. If you’re going for the sailing, then you won’t be disappointed. I forget which thread it is, but one that is still active says there are *no* functioning marinas in the BVIs as of yesterday. Logistics for provisioning and fueling will be more complicated.

St. Lucia was not hit, so you can expect your trip to be similar to recent trip reports. I’ve only sailed two days out of St. Lucia and one 10-day BVI trip, so I have little experience in these areas. But the BVIs were better sailing and better logistics for us.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:27   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

BVI is indeed a good first timer venue, but I expect BVI, and other NE Carib venues, are still going to be recovering by Feb. As suggested, I would consider a different venue. Especially since you want some amenities ashore. There are plenty of other options.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, sail