Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2017, 08:27   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS
Re: First time on a sailboat

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your trip and I hope you enjoy sailing. Fair winds and following seas.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 09:15   #17

I think the sailboat will take rougher water easily better than a powerboat, .. I flew to Texas & brought a catamaran back to Florida with about 400 miles experience on a mono hull & more that half of that was motoring... it's all about the skipper,be smart & safe & have fun! I have many years experience on power boats so fear was not a factor but understanding how everything works was my biggest concern. .
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 11:01   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think the short answer is that a tail wind would be something you'd really appreciate. If you're into the wind, anything over 10-15 knots is going to be uncomfortable and probably a bit frustrating.

If it were me I'd look for an east wind, stick to the coast which will give you a bit of cover and flatter seas. And you won't have to worry about a lee shore.

The wind in and of itself is more a function of giving you boost from behind or slowing you if on the bow. It's more the sea state that you should be concerned about if you want to make time and be comfortable.
I don't know about hugging the coast to tight. The Gulf is like a big shallow lake on the Fl. west coast. If the bottom don't get you the grounds swells can. I don't see a problem going direct with someone onboard with sailing experience.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 11:14   #19
SFS

I'm in the Tampa area, and might be able to help. Send me a Private Message if you are interested.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 12:35   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you plan on motoring, I hope you check the oil and filter, and make sure the engine is in good shape before leaving the dock. Often, a little rolling around in the waves will stir up all the sludge at the bottom of the fuel tank and clog the fuel filters. Also, be sure you have enough diesel to run for the whole trip. Some sailboats have very small fuel tanks. And older diesels run at WOT may burn more fuel than anticipated. On the other hand, if the boat has not been used much lately, this sort of italian tuneup might be just the thing to get the cobwebs out of the engine.

If you are accustomed to power boats, I think the biggest thing you will find is that sailboats are slow. Even under engine. 1 hour of driving a car is the same as 10 hours by sailboat (making best speed). And if the wind or waves are against you, your speed can easily be cut in half.

If you take your time, and bring some friends, I think you will have a great trip! Several times I've bought a boat sight unseen in Toronto, and sailed it home to Kingston...about 150 miles. Just don't be in a hurry, wait for good weather, and have fun!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 12:49   #21

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

I'm with Stu where he says don't sail to a schedule. Just did that for a 250 mile delivery because of work commitments....2 days work turned into five days of windward slog in some less than pleasant conditions...
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 14:16   #22

Hi Rob,
I live in Bonita and have been racing and cruising on sailboats in SW FL for the past 30 years. I’ve done the Keys run many times. In addition to the good advice from others on motorsailing for stability and making passages based upon a weather window and not a schedule I would add my local thoughts.

It’s roughly a 110nm run as you know. On the Hunter at 5kts as a safe estimate for passage planning you are looking at a 22hr run. I would bring at least one additional competent crew and leave a few hours before sunset for a morning arrival to Mantanzas Pass.

Weather wise this is a great time of year. The prevailing ENE winds make the Gulf nice. Just do not be out there when a cold front is coming through. Some may say to wait for the wind to go from the South prior to the cold front but with a boat that is new to me I would not. The last thing you want is to have an issue that slows you down with a big NW blow coming though and now you are face with a lee shore. Better window for me would be a few days after a front goes through and the wind settles into the ENE as it does for several days. May not be the best wind angle for a great sail but it will get you home in a new boat with calm seas and a nice overnight motorsail.
My opinion. Good luck and congrats on the new sailboat!
Keith
SV.OHANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 15:34   #23

Boat: Pearson

wfw, wait for weather. north, northeast winds are common in the winter for your trip, equals motoring , carry fuel filters and have a clean fuel tank. rarely does the gulf get over 10’, but north winds can be sloppy, your boat should do well, take someone, a sailor, naples is your harbor, when needed.
Old 30-11-2017, 15:51   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If you plan on motoring, I hope you check the oil and filter, and make sure the engine is in good shape before leaving the dock. Often, a little rolling around in the waves will stir up all the sludge at the bottom of the fuel tank and clog the fuel filters. Also, be sure you have enough diesel to run for the whole trip. Some sailboats have very small fuel tanks. And older diesels run at WOT may burn more fuel than anticipated. On the other hand, if the boat has not been used much lately, this sort of italian tuneup might be just the thing to get the cobwebs out of the engine.

If you are accustomed to power boats, I think the biggest thing you will find is that sailboats are slow. Even under engine. 1 hour of driving a car is the same as 10 hours by sailboat (making best speed). And if the wind or waves are against you, your speed can easily be cut in half.

If you take your time, and bring some friends, I think you will have a great trip! Several times I've bought a boat sight unseen in Toronto, and sailed it home to Kingston...about 150 miles. Just don't be in a hurry, wait for good weather, and have fun!
Hamburking brings up a good point I forgot, make sure you know how to bleed the diesel line and get the engine running again in case water or crud get in there. You probably know about all that already, but just in case you don’t, practice before you go.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 15:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hamburking brings up a good point I forgot, make sure you know how to bleed the diesel line and get the engine running again in case water or crud get in there. You probably know about all that already, but just in case you don’t, practice before you go.

I was just thinking the same thing! Bring filters and know how to bleed the fuel line.
Old 30-11-2017, 16:03   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Its a lot easier to change the fuel filter at the dock before you leave, than when the engine dies during the night or in a narrow channel. His Hunter 33 should have a decent Yanmar, but if it were me, I'd do an oil change before starting out. I have found that maintenance is often neglected on a boat for sale. Running the diesel 24 hours on fresh clean oil will do it good. And doing this work before you leave will get you acquainted with your new boat. And you can shower ashore too. If you've done an oil and filter change on a boat before, you'll understand why this is so nice. Do the work at sea, and all your food you touch will taste like diesel fuel....LOL!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 16:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Its a lot easier to change the fuel filter at the dock before you leave, than when the engine dies during the night or in a narrow channel. His Hunter 33 should have a decent Yanmar, but if it were me, I'd do an oil change before starting out. I have found that maintenance is often neglected on a boat for sale. Running the diesel 24 hours on fresh clean oil will do it good. And doing this work before you leave will get you acquainted with your new boat. And you can shower ashore too. If you've done an oil and filter change on a boat before, you'll understand why this is so nice. Do the work at sea, and all your food you touch will taste like diesel fuel....LOL!!!

[emoji106]
Old 30-11-2017, 16:41   #28
TFM

Boat: Beneteau Oceanus 331

All good stuff. I'm a very senior citizen with limited sailing experience compared to most of the people on this site. My boat is a Beneteau 331, 2'11" draft which I took on a Fort Myers>Key West>Fort Myers circuit twice in the past two winters, first with crew, then solo, by different routes each time. Both trips were straightforward with only a couple of legs uncomfortable because of weather. If your draft is shallow, you might enjoy the back passage from Marco via the town of Goodland to the Gulf or vice versa.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 19:35   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV.OHANA View Post
[emoji106]
Welcome aboard, OHANA!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 14:01   #30

Boat: Peter Snell Easy 37'

Hi Rob,
I converted back to a Sailing Boat after owning a Flybridge Cruiser for the past twenty years. It is such a great change!! Having sailed as a kid I knew the basics of Sailing. I'd occassionally sailed as crew on mates yachts for local racing too. So, a little experience.
When I bought the current yacht I sailed around for a few days, then provisioned up and headed North with my trusty Sea dog. I checked the conditions and headed out in a 40 Knot Westerly. Now this may be criticised by many a scurvy sea captain, but I had no fear or doubt as to my ability and as to what 40 knots of Westerly is. Where I'm from, 40 knots of Westerly equates to a flat sea and great sailing conditions if you hug the East coast of Australia. I had about 1/4 of my headsail up and was travelling at a steady comfy 4 knots.
So you see, if you know your limitations, do your research on Weather and how it will impact the route you choose to take, know your limits of your boat, have ample safety gear and perhaps take someone else who's a local sailor with sailing experience.
And enjoy!!!!
jasonleeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat