Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 15:41   #16

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Fish that glow in the dark

Wolves are thriving in the "zone" as they call it. Just watched a PBS documentary on the area. And the swamps have returned because man is not removing the beavers anymore.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 16:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
All the bad publicity means that fusion research (perfectly safe nuclear) won't be given any funding, because the public tends to lump like-sounding things together. China has already spent $2 billion on fusion research, while the U.S. completely shut down its program. Wonder what happened to Google's solar program?
Yeah, decades of fusion research hasnt yielded much... let the chinese do it, then we'll steal it from them , not like they havent stolen technology for a long time!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 16:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i grow a thrid eye in my forehead i will stop eating fish. that third eye will be able to see the glow in dark fishies better than my regular eyes, mebbe...lol
You should try to train that third eye to keep a watch while the other 2 are closed
These fish could be a singlehanders best friend!
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 17:04   #19

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I worked on a nuclear powered submarine for a while and we all wore dosimeters that had to be inspected monthly to ensure that we weren't getting over exposed. Two types of hazing we frequently did:

- Squirt people in the face with few day old reactor coolant water. It was a good demonstration on the power of halflives, and understanding what the halflife of any element before you just start arbitrarily talking about radiation.

- Taking the radiation meters, pointing them towards the reactor, then going up topsides and pointing them at the sun. More radiation from the sun than from a properly shielded reactor, every time.

I'm not trying to minimize nuclear radiation fears, but the general public's understanding of the dangers from nuclear power is really warped. In general if you can't describe off the top of your head the difference between fuel grade and weapons grade material I'm just going to tune you out.
Isotopic enrichment. now on to something more interesting. Charlotte said Santispac might be a future anchorage. She said Bahia de Los Angeles was a destination. What is there, did I miss something?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:05   #20

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

You can mock all you like, its what some people do best - just before I have the dubious duty of saying i told you so.

Hows Egypt melting down 12 months after i said it would?

At the Very Least, Your Days of Eating Pacific Ocean Fish Are Over
Old 17-08-2013, 09:08   #21

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Kinda reminds me of a film I saw about GIs in Nam being made to drink a glass of agent orange to show the folks back home how harmless it was. I wonder which cemetary they got buried in.

Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I worked on a nuclear powered submarine for a while and we all wore dosimeters that had to be inspected monthly to ensure that we weren't getting over exposed. Two types of hazing we frequently did:

- Squirt people in the face with few day old reactor coolant water. It was a good demonstration on the power of halflives, and understanding what the halflife of any element before you just start arbitrarily talking about radiation.
Old 17-08-2013, 09:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
You can mock all you like, its what some people do best - just before I have the dubious duty of saying i told you so.

Hows Egypt melting down 12 months after i said it would?

At the Very Least, Your Days of Eating Pacific Ocean Fish Are Over
Interesting article. I seriously hope it's overstated.
So... thinking towards reality here.... how much does a device to measure radiation in your seafood cost and where can one get one?
It's such a hot topic... hard to believe the news corporations dont want to be the first to test fish on the shelf and break the story, for the cost of a handheld device.....? So I'm a skeptic until I see the meter readings...

Old 17-08-2013, 09:54   #23

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Probably less harmful than the cancer radiation treatments I am getting presently. Would prefer eating pacific tuna to them any day of the week.
I do appreciate your concern and attention to the subject Anjou, but it is not as if my voice or others were heard in eliminating nuclear power or weapons for the last few decades. So society sometimes needs horrific lessons to learn their mistakes. Is unfortunate but history also repeats itself all too often.
Old 17-08-2013, 09:58   #24

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Interesting article. I seriously hope it's overstated.
So... thinking towards reality here.... how much does a device to measure radiation in your seafood cost and where can one get one?
It's such a hot topic... hard to believe the news corporations dont want to be the first to test fish on the shelf and break the story, for the cost of a handheld device.....? So I'm a skeptic until I see the meter readings...
I would think it is overstated since the NOAA chart they used to depict radioactive movement across the Pacific is really the overlay used to show Tsunami generated wave height.

You just have to be a bit wary of what is on the Internet.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:34   #25

Boat: Gufstar Trawler 36' Sea Schooner

I wonder how the Japanese speak of GE the company that engineered and sold them the Fukushima Daichi reactors designs. Maybe they laugh a little when they built them on the down wind side of there Country, and used the ocean kinda like a toilet flushing towards the US. Bet they shop China for there next ones.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:42   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glow in dark fish

catch one--you can see em in the ocean...
clean and fillet it. you wont need lights, so is an efficient dinner.
pan fry in skillet with butter or breaded. lotsa garlic..onion, serranos, julienned

serve with pico de gaglow

you will die happy.

recipe only works in pacific ocean.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 14:23   #27

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
If you want evidence of this, I suggest you look for yourself because all mainstream media are following the orders of your liberal leaders and sitting on the story.
Now I'm confused. For years the liberals have been bashing anything with the word "Nuclear" in it. They shut down reactors and storage facilities all over the world. Anti-nuke protests are always big news in the "liberal media." One of the protesters (a former liberal MA governor) rode the anti-nuke media wave as far as the US presidential nomination a few of election cycles back.

And now you say they're trying to cover up their one big chance to say "I told you so"?

I give up. I can't even keep the conspiracy theories straight any more.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 14:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Now I'm confused. For years the liberals have been bashing anything with the word "Nuclear" in it. They shut down reactors and storage facilities all over the world. Anti-nuke protests are always big news in the "liberal media." One of the protesters (a former liberal MA governor) rode the anti-nuke media wave as far as the US presidential nomination a few of election cycles back.

And now you say they're trying to cover up their one big chance to say "I told you so"?

I give up. I can't even keep the conspiracy theories straight any more.
Yeah, that one confused me too! But it's just more powerful using the "liberal" adjective!
I sent the link to the article to all 3 local tv news stations as Consumer Alert asking them to test the Pacific fish in Pike Place Market to see... would be interesting story either way....

Old 17-08-2013, 14:38   #29

Boat: PETERSON 44
Nuclear leaks are scarely ****. You don't need to be a liberal to worry about how this stuff is managed. We still don't know how to deal with the spent waste. Look at the leaks in the us at a major military storage facility. Used to be we just ran it out to deep ocean and dropped it. Pretty sure everyone thinks that's a dumb idea now. Sometimes even if its a liberal squeaking it's worth taking a moment and thinking through repercussions.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 15:18   #30

Yeah, once the fish test positve the trick will be isloating if they are contaminated from the storage in Hanford up here via the Columbia river or from Japan!

Tags
fish