Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 14:03   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
FL to Barbados in March, Barbados Live Aboard

I'm going to be 100% remote for the year and my fiancee can't get a job (lowly MBA lol). I'm seriously considering a programme Barbados implemented last year as a COVID response to allow 12 month work from Barbados.

Can anyone give me any feedback on sailing there from the east coast of FL in March time frame, and what living aboard in Barbados is like? It would be a 12 month stay.

This is a somewhat unique opportunity to make a little lemonade out of the s***t show that COVID has handed us, I'd like to maybe make it work for me.

FWIW my sailing experience is limited to flying somewhere and sailing their boat around for a week and 4 trips across the 'stream and back. I'm closing on my first "big boat" end of this month (38' Morgan 384).
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 14:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FL to Barbados in March, Barbados Live Aboard

The best way is to go over the top of the Bahamas.. set off when the winds are from a Southerly quarter and take advantage as they veer W over around 3 days..
Make as much Easting and a bit of N as you can while they are doing this.. usually this is followed by decent N winds which will help you on your way.. if lucky you may get a fair way out before you hit any Easterlies but whatever you do don't be tempted to run S as that will entrench you in both adverse current and winds.
You keep going till Barbados is to your South then hang a right.
Recommended this to a former CF member MarkJ who wanted to get to St Martin.. he made it in 10 days on his similar sized Beneteau.. you may take a bit longer if reports I have heard about the Morgan's sailing ability are correct.
As for living there on the hook or a mooring I cannot give any advice so suggest you get in touch with the authorities in Barbados and see if they will countanance it.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: FL to Barbados in March, Barbados Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The best way is to go over the top of the Bahamas.. set off when the winds are from a Southerly quarter and take advantage as they veer W over around 3 days..
Make as much Easting and a bit of N as you can while they are doing this.. usually this is followed by decent N winds which will help you on your way.. if lucky you may get a fair way out before you hit any Easterlies but whatever you do don't be tempted to run S as that will entrench you in both adverse current and winds.
You keep going till Barbados is to your South then hang a right.
Recommended this to a former CF member MarkJ who wanted to get to St Martin.. he made it in 10 days on his similar sized Beneteau.. you may take a bit longer if reports I have heard about the Morgan's sailing ability are correct.
As for living there on the hook or a mooring I cannot give any advice so suggest you get in touch with the authorities in Barbados and see if they will countanance it.
Indeed. (Phil knows his sailing!]
Head east-southeast until the butter melts and the trades fill in, typically between 60 degrees and 65 degrees west, then head south. (Barbados is ± 60 deg W)

FWIW: The Morgan 383 bears absolutely no resemblance to the Morgan “Out Island” series.
The Morgan 382 was designed by Ted Brewer, Jack Corey and the Morgan Design Team.
According to Brewer, the boat was loosely based on the Nelson/Marek-designed Morgan 36 IOR One Ton. The most obvious difference between the 38 and 382 was the elimination of the centerboard and the addition of a cruising fin keel (NACA 64 012 foil) with skeg-mounted rudder. They are two completely different designs from two different eras in yacht design.
In 1980, the 382 was given a taller rig and called the 383.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FL to Barbados in March, Barbados Live Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Head east-southeast until the butter melts and the trades fill in, typically between 60 degrees and 65 degrees west, then head south. (Barbados is ± 60 deg W)

FWIW: The Morgan 383 bears absolutely no resemblance to the Morgan “Out Island” series.
The Morgan 382 was designed by Ted Brewer, Jack Corey and the Morgan Design Team.
According to Brewer, the boat was loosely based on the Nelson/Marek-designed Morgan 36 IOR One Ton. The most obvious difference between the 38 and 382 was the elimination of the centerboard and the addition of a cruising fin keel (NACA 64 012 foil) with skeg-mounted rudder. They are two completely different designs from two different eras in yacht design.
Cheers for the boat info Gord.. knowledge limited to the OI's which I've often seen in the Caribe, nice liveaboards but not the best upwind.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:39   #5

The main anchorage is at Bridgetown. Unfortunately it is very rolly. Definitely not for a long stay. Donald streets guide will give you more information on Barbados.

See

http://www.street-iolaire.com/street...idad_20461.htm
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Correct. Entirely different vessels. And the 384 has a slightly larger rudder, supposedly for better steerage downwind. The mast is also slightly higher as well, although that change may have come with the 383. Still a little underpowered but supposedly a very capable and stable boat.

I guess I'll find out
Old 08-01-2021, 06:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
The main anchorage is at Bridgetown. Unfortunately it is very rolly. Definitely not for a long stay. Donald streets guide will give you more information on Barbados.

See

http://www.street-iolaire.com/street...idad_20461.htm
Yeah that's what I'm finding out. Barbados is ok with me staying there, but it just doesn't sound pleasant. I'm exploring other options to be south of the hurricanes rather than north of them, but I may be biting off more than I can chew for a first season and leaving myself very limited time to make a few necessary upgrades (primarily electrical/solar and refrigeration).

Tags
arc, Barbados