Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 12:57   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Floating dock vs standard

I've spent a lot of time at both and hands down I prefer floating docks. Tie up the boat and you're done. I spent a couple of years at a fixed dock in Annapolis and it was a serious PITA...adjusting lines for bit spring tides and storms. getting on and off, and getting stuff on and off the boat when the tide was unusually low.

Fixed docks are generally easier to get in and out of as well; hang out the fenders and if you bump on the way in or out it's predictable. Some fixed docks, with pilings, you're watching five things at once. And it's easier to throw a loop around a dock cleat, usually, than to wrestle with getting a line around a tall piling.

Regarding there "always being some rubbing, if you springs the boat right it's minimal to nonexistent. That's what fender covers are for. :P
Old 02-04-2019, 13:22   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Prefer a floating dock. This is my solution for boarding.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190402_130922.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	189239
Old 02-04-2019, 13:43   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The OP is an area with only a few feet of tide.

I've used both for many years. No real preference in minimal tide areas, just different. If there was a strong preference, all of the high-end marinas would have floating docks, and that is not the case (HHN comes to mind).
Old 02-04-2019, 13:55   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Thanks to all for the helpful insights! This gives me much to think about.

thinwater: It is HHN that is installing the floating dock, at F dock. Since they are only converting one dock, I think it might be they are testing the waters for interest, maintenance, etc.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 14:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Thanks to all for the helpful insights! This gives me much to think about.

thinwater: It is HHN that is installing the floating dock, at F dock. Since they are only converting one dock, I think it might be they are testing the waters for interest, maintenance, etc.

Interesting. I had not noticed that. But they just replaced most of the docks in the last two seasons! Well, they like construction.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:25   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

I would guess HHN's new floating dock will be full by the end of the month... if it's not already.

We just got an e-mail notice from them advertising the change... and I thought for a few minutes about changing marinas.

-Chris
Old 03-04-2019, 04:58   #22

Boat: Leopard 39

Where I dock on the West Coast of Florida, the normal tidal range is 3-4 feet. I have a fixed dock, and 4 feet is about as high a tidal range as can be accommodated against a fixed dock without having to adjust fenders on a daily basis. I have 4 foot +long fenders (made for vessels up to 75 feet in length) that work well (I stagger their lengths a bit), but even those have to be adjusted during times of tropical storms and surges to keep them between the vessel and the dock. If I were lying against tie poles, fender boards would work too. As zoning prevents me from placing tie poles to secure the other side of the vessel and given tropical storms, the vessel's windage, and the fetch involved, I would not be comfortable with a floating dock. Every situation is unique, and it's great to have options.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:51   #23

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

In general, floating docks are the easiest to negotiate a consistent height to get on off the boat. The type of floating dock was not discussed yet but deem a larger cement type vs. wood to be superior. The cement floaters are typically more stable under foot and usually have very secure cleats that will not pull out during storms. Another plus is they will adjust to extreme tidal surges during rain floods or wind driven anomalies.
Down side with floating piers is during storms or high winds they can possibly make a lot of noise from the metal roller on the metal piling or squeaking and sometimes get jammed/don't adjust (unusual, but happens).
Also as mentioned typically w/floating docks you can't web in lines well when when preparing for tropical storms and then depend on big fenders to hold the boat off the dock. For minor blows probably ok, but even new fenders can eventually fail with continued punishment. Would need to check w/ the marina and you are on the floating dock if it's mandatory to pull your boat during possible TS.
Even the Chesapeake can get hit w/TS/hurricanes (usually mid Sept.) so most marinas have a plan of "what if" when they need to prepare and best to know what that is ahead of time.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Where I dock on the West Coast of Florida, the normal tidal range is 3-4 feet. I have a fixed dock, and 4 feet is about as high a tidal range as can be accommodated against a fixed dock without having to adjust fenders on a daily basis. I have 4 foot +long fenders (made for vessels up to 75 feet in length) that work well (I stagger their lengths a bit), but even those have to be adjusted during times of tropical storms and surges to keep them between the vessel and the dock. If I were lying against tie poles, fender boards would work too. As zoning prevents me from placing tie poles to secure the other side of the vessel and given tropical storms, the vessel's windage, and the fetch involved, I would not be comfortable with a floating dock. Every situation is unique, and it's great to have options.

A fixed dock without dolphins is what most of us would call a bulkhead. It is no ones favorite and I don't think it relates to the OP's question, which related to 6 pole slips.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:42   #25

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Have done both but prefer floating which is what I have now. I back my boat in (power and water connections on stern) but the boarding gate is mid-ships (center cockpit boat). Floating docks with concrete decks are the best--super stable which my wife loves. Wood decking or plastic decking can get wobbly out at the end if not anchored properly on the outer piling(s). Before signing up, walk out to the end to see how stable the dock is.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:05   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Up to 18' tidal change here in the south Puget Sound and that can happen in about 7 hours sometimes so everything is floating. Floaters work and they really are a non-issue. At the extreme southern part of the sound it is almost 20' swing btw!
Old 03-04-2019, 14:31   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Slightly off topic: In the next year, or so, I will visit the Bay of Fundy. I want to see 50' tides!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 14:49   #28

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Slightly off topic: In the next year, or so, I will visit the Bay of Fundy. I want to see 50' tides!

The tidal range in Fundy varies from approx. 20ft @ the entrance to 50 ft. @ the NE end. / Len

https://www.bayoffundy.com/about/highest-tides/
Old 04-04-2019, 15:55   #29

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

If you use the inflatable fender steps, make sure you check the load ratings first. Most of the ones that I've seen were rated for only 225lbs, which wasn't enough to support me.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 16:39   #30

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
If you use the inflatable fender steps, make sure you check the load ratings first. Most of the ones that I've seen were rated for only 225lbs, which wasn't enough to support me.

Just my opinion of course, but if you go with inflatable fender steps as the primary way to get on and off your boat while at the dock, loading things is not going to be fun or safe as you need two hand to hold on and then work your foot partially into the fender which I am sure have some give (I have never used them..... just an observation). Steps are nice because you can walk up to deck level or almost and then place things onto the boat. Makes life easier and again in my opinion safer.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, loa