Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 13:49   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Re: Floating dock vs standard

I am switching to the floating dock. With one of the marina staff we walked out on the dock and out on a finger pier. All very stable. Three slips left.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:14   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Surprised it's not full already. (Without knowing much about costs.)

-Chris
Old 08-04-2019, 07:13   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I live on Lake Ontario, no tides, but there is seasonal variation in water levels usually about 4 feet, and the occasional storm surge.

My home dock in downtown Kingston is a floating dock. And most of the time its great. However, one year we had very high water levels. The end of my floating finger is anchored with a chain. Apparently this chain was not long enough for the high water level, and the end of my finger was underwater. Although all my lines were still secure, my fenders had nothing to push against. Fortunately, I was able to secure a line from the other side to hold the boat away from the parially submerged finger dock, and I avoided any damage. It did make for trouble coming/going from the dock, but the unusually high water level was shortlived.

I guess my point is that floating docks are great, if they are installed correctly. And that is most important when storm surges or other unusual situation occur. We don't worry about tides here on the great lakes, but record high and low water levels are now occuring more often. My marina, confederation basin in downtown Kingston, spent something like $600,000 last year so that the existing docks could handle higher water levels.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 10:58   #34

Boat: CSY33

Ive been on both and no question prefer floating if well constructed. Of course, want any dock to be well constructed.

I don’t understand the comment about not being able to web in lines and fenders during storms? I set my lines to allow minimal, but some, motion, and never worry. Extreme hi or low tides, prolonged wind storms, no matter. My vessel’s relation to the dock never changes. Also don’t understand about ice? That can be an issue with any dock if not well constructed.

I prefer wood tops to cement. The finger piers on cement covered docks are top heavy and trying to turn over. As time passes that torquing can induce substantial twists. At one marina I have seen most of them are twisted that way. Another marina recently replaced three aged wood floating docks with new. Specially treated wood topping. Ultra stable feel like they are resting on solid ground. That second marina also has very large, very deeply set pilings. Even rode out the supreme tides of Isobel.

Construction quality and especially the strength and depth of the pilings are critical. Some floating docks are far more secure than others that way. For me, if constructed well and affordable I will take floating vs fixed any day.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 14:28   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I moved the boat from the standard dock to the floating dock today. Two big pluses immediately: Much simpler arrangement of lines with no concern of tides. And I can lower the swim platform to access the boat from the stern; maybe 6" drop from peir to platform.

I provided entertainment when moving the boat. I had checked the forecast several times and the winds were supposed to be light from the SW. Got all the lines off the boat, motor running, last line released....and...then I realized the wind was double the forecast and from the SE making leaving my old slip a pain I wasn't prepared for. Oh, well, some help from an experienced dock hand and all was made right (with no injury or damage).
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, loa