Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 14:32   #1

Boat: hydrostream
Florida

Made the trip to Florida last week. Looked at few liveaboard marinas, looked at a few boats.
Found a very livable marina.. needs a different boat. Boat was a 70s 30ft Colombia.. not horrible.. nice water cooled air conditioning, nice dodger and surround, nice chain plates, mast step, yanmar, but small inside, being 6'1" 210#. The vee birth is 5'5", settees under 6 ft and narrow. Couldn't really sleep comfortably anywhere in it without a major remodel.
I was surprised how many liveaboards are around, several available. From Jacksonville south. Also a few Marina prices were very reasonable, with showers, laundry, water, electric. Pretty much what one needs for under $300/mo .
Florida is beautiful, last visit was 87. Took my time and drove 1A1 down the east coast.. Stopped at Charley's Steak House.. south west to Tampa to watch the sunset over the water. Visited a buddy for an afternoon that lasted till 6am.. made my way back to PA..
Seems everybody is looking for an air conditioning mechanic, on the brightside the groundhog was wrong, spring has sprung and we're waiting on the onion snow.
Old 22-02-2017, 15:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
..................... Took my time and drove 1A1 down the east coast..
I enjoyed your post, but I believe that your driving in an alternate dimension. While you're on 1A1 most of us are on A1A! You must have avoided a lot of traffic! LOL We've been many decades based in Florida,- 'lots of variety!
Old 22-02-2017, 15:57   #3

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I finally made my way from Pa. to Fla. It took me way too long to get here. Anyway, I think Jax is much better than Pittsburgh. A lot less gray weather.

Good luck in your endeavor.

No comment on 1A1.

But just today I talked to a person from out of state that was trying to put an address in her (yes, a blonde) GPS as AlA. 'L'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:18   #4

The one comment I would make is, before committing to moving to Florida full time, you should come down for a nice long visit in July or August. A whole lot of people, who have only visited when it is cold up north, think Florida is wonderful (which it is). Then they move down, get a load of what summer is like, and decide that they can't live here full time. I have personally known several people who spent a whole lot of money to move here, ended up regretting it, and then spent even more to move away again in a year or two.

Just something to think about.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:51   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The one comment I would make is, before committing to moving to Florida full time, you should come down for a nice long visit in July or August. A whole lot of people, who have only visited when it is cold up north, think Florida is wonderful (which it is). Then they move down, get a load of what summer is like, and decide that they can't live here full time. I have personally known several people who spent a whole lot of money to move here, ended up regretting it, and then spent even more to move away again in a year or two.

Just something to think about.
This is totally correct.

Lots of folks from up north and many locals just stay in the AC from late June thru August at least.

Those of us that were young and raced sailboats, cycled, and ran long distance in the sun down there took a real beating. My skin was almost perfect when I arrived in the mid 90's but was in pretty bad shape when I left 12 years later

I noticed the same thing with some of the female triathletes I rode with. They were still nice looking women but their skin had taken a beating
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 06:00   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Spent part of a summer in the Chesapeake, and 105 degrees and no wind, on an un-airconditioned boat is a bit unpleasant also.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 06:12   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Spent part of a summer in the Chesapeake, and 105 degrees and no wind, on an un-airconditioned boat is a bit unpleasant also.
Which is why many here work on their boats in July but do not sail a lot other than daysailing

Others get back into early morning cycling, running, .......taking the dogs to the beach before 10 am etc
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:27   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My wife and I grew up in Florida, she in Jacksonville and myself in Ft. Lauderdale. We spent our share of time in the sun, mostly at play, but we notice different behaviors for those from the North. We have spent the last fifteen years in retirement cruising up to the Chesapeake or on to Maine in the summers. We spend our daytime in the shade, but we see the local boaters laying out in the sun. In the winters we're in Florida wearing our jackets and we see those from the North laying out in the sun.

We've had people surprised to hear that we've lived on a boat for 45 years and we don't have much of a tan. We don't spend any more time out in the sun than necessary. I think people who spend time in the northern winters behave differently when they are in sunny climates.

It's probably the same reason that I eat so much ice cream when I'm traveling away from my boat where my freezer isn't cold enough to keep ice cream hard.
Old 23-02-2017, 12:37   #9

Boat: Hunter 30 G

We moved to St.Petersburg six years ago from Philly, absolutely love the summer, can't wait for it to return. But be aware, if you stay in the aircon all season, you won't like it, you must get out an get acclimated or it will punish you. I always use the aircon for sleeping, but stay outside during the day, works for me, my wife not so much.
Old 23-02-2017, 12:55   #10

Boat: hydrostream

Thanks for the replies.. 1A1.. A1A.. oops. First visit was August 87, met couple eating breakfast, went water skiing with that couple, found Charley's Steak House.. and that was the first day..It was hot.
I like hot weather and water, the older I get the more I feel like a reptile.. Northerners like the sun we don't get 7 or 8 months a year.
Florida is as nice, maybe nicer then I remembered.
Old 25-02-2017, 09:53   #11

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Good old florida..

Come for vacation..

Leave on probation!

No questions please lol
Outcasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:30   #12

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcasts View Post
Good old florida..

Come for vacation..

Leave on probation!

The full expression is "come on vacation, leave on probation, come back on violation."
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida