Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 19:08   #1

Boat: Tayana 48 CC
Florida Homes with Docks

Interested in relocating from San Diego to somewhere in Florida where we can keep our Tayana 48 in the water, at our property, and have access to the ocean. We are just not familiar at all with Florida and don't know where to begin to look. Are there some areas further inland that are better protected from hurricanes but still have access to the open ocean? Want to plan a trip and check out all recommendations. Thanks in advance!!! Andrew and Anniken on SV Espíritu Búho.
Espiritu Buho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 19:41   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Florida Homes with Docks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiritu Buho View Post
Interested in relocating from San Diego to somewhere in Florida where we can keep our Tayana 48 in the water, at our property, and have access to the ocean. We are just not familiar at all with Florida and don't know where to begin to look. Are there some areas further inland that are better protected from hurricanes but still have access to the open ocean? Want to plan a trip and check out all recommendations. Thanks in advance!!! Andrew and Anniken on SV Espíritu Búho.
Yes, plenty of residential canals 2-3 miles inland where you have some protection from hurricanes. (Although a Cat 5 ‘cane will probably wipe you out regardless. )
Been in Fort Lauderdale with a private dock and close proximity to the Keys and to the Bahamas for 22 years, love it. (Except for the hurricane season.)
Old 20-02-2021, 19:54   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Do you have 6-foot draft? That severely limits where you can go in Florida. Anything more than 5 feet is problematic in the Keys and much of the West Coast. Yeah, you can head out into the Atlantic and the Gulf, but problems are many as you near land and look for an anchorage. I've hit bottom with 4 feet, 3 inches on the Florida Bay side of the Keys. Parts of the ICW on the West Coast aren't much better, and many inlets on both coasts are shallow. Be certain you're not better off selling your boat and buying another in Florida more suited to conditions.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 12:48   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiritu Buho View Post
If your draft is mor than 5ft these docks are rare and costly
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:09   #5

1. MOBILE HOME PARK: Many mobile home parks have private and cheap communal docks.

2. INLAND: There are lots of places inland, with very CHEAP docks. It is possible to go across Florida through Lake Okeechobee. A boat can go inland from Jacksonville to south of Orlando. How far inland depends on your draft. Large parts of the St. Johns River are so wide sailing is easy. You will likely be able to get to at least Lake Monroe, near Orlando.

Below is the Marina in Sanford. Lake Monroe is huge and there is access to other very large lakes.

zamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:24   #6

I bought a mobile Home in Saint James City on Pine Island FLA on 10/20 with a 40 foot dock for less than 200K. partly to have a place to dock my future Cat. I have 6 feet depth at a regular low tide but they have extreme low tides in December and maybe only 4 feet deep then. Probably still enough for a cat. I found the cheapest on water properties to be in South West Florida.
Harryweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:55   #7

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Tampa Bay, Manatee River, Charlotte Harbor, Fort Myers, Coconut Grove, Lauderdale, West Palm, Jupiter, Fort Pierce. And no place in FL is protected from hurricanes, that is why you buy insurance
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 16:01   #8

There are some subdivisions on Florida's gulf coast which are built among a system of canals. Being on the gulf side, you would be less threatened by hurricanes, although not completely out of danger.

SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 16:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
1.A boat can go inland from Jacksonville to south of Orlando. How far inland depends on your draft. Large parts of the St. Johns River are so wide sailing is easy. You will likely be able to get to at least Lake Monroe, near Orlando.
Absolutely true if your rig will fit under a 47 ft bridge.
Otherwise you are going as far as the Shands bridge at Green cove springs.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:41   #10

We live in Apollo Beach, which is between Tampa and Bradenton on the east side of Tampa Bay. We are on a canal that is 9' deep (up to 14' in some places), and the only challenge here is the entrance at buoy #2, which is currently around 5' at low tide. There are other sections where the canals are not as deep or have silted in (typically, those with a dead-end), but there are a fair amount of properties for sale right now and some of the owners without boats to rent out their spaces. If looking for a slip only, post on Nextdoor or the Apollo Beach group on FB.
sailormarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:46   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Check todays Naples News article on projected Flood Insurance costs. You might want to reconsider your desire to live on the water.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:47   #12

Cape Coral has more canals than any city in the US. On Gulf. Irma was a non issue for us.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:52   #13

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Do you have 6-foot draft? That severely limits where you can go in Florida. Anything more than 5 feet is problematic in the Keys and much of the West Coast. Yeah, you can head out into the Atlantic and the Gulf, but problems are many as you near land and look for an anchorage. I've hit bottom with 4 feet, 3 inches on the Florida Bay side of the Keys. Parts of the ICW on the West Coast aren't much better, and many inlets on both coasts are shallow. Be certain you're not better off selling your boat and buying another in Florida more suited to conditions.

I lived in Lighthouse Point (just north of Ft Lauderdale) for a number of years, in a house on a canal about half a mile from Hillsboro inlet. I drew 6.8 ft. On occasion my boat would be on the bottom at the dock, but other than that I had plenty of water in the canal and out to the ocean. I had a friend with a trawler tie up at my dock and run his engines for about 10 minutes and after that had plenty of water at my dock.

It is pricy, I paid about $4000 per month rent for the house and an additional $800 per month for my dock.

Prior to that I lived on a canal at Los Olas and had only 4 ft at my dock, and before that a I spent a couple of years on a canal just north of 17th st where I had plenty of water.

I had no problems with that draft in the keys or Bahamas, but then I never cared to go in Florida bay as it is terribly shallow there and very restricted waters.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:53   #14

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

I have a place in Ft. Myers Beach; my draft is 5'6". I have direct and quick access to the gulf with no bridge raises. The condos are affordable, but single family homes with docks here are very pricey. I have to really pay attention to tides as my entrance at mean is touch and go (more touch), so I don't come and go unless the tide is at least a foot above mean. It can be somewhat limiting, so if you can find a shoal draft or cat that draws less, it will open up a lot of sailing, especially if you plan to sail to the Bahamas.
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:36   #15

Boat: Xquisite X5 50"

Don't forget to get on a waiting list now for moving truck ...hehehe
jclark500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, florida, Homes with a dock, real estate