Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 11:11   #1
TFM

Boat: Beneteau Oceanus 331
Florida to Georgetown in January?

Hoping to get to Georgetown in the Exumas in January from Florida. A very knowledgeable friend, who is a well experienced sailor and who has made many many trips between the east coast of Florida and Georgetown over the past 20 or so years in 35' to 50' monohulls and catamarans, has suggested I could likely spend weeks waiting for suitable weather to cross in my 33' Beneteau. Before I commit to crew and friends who want to make the trip with me I would like to have 1st hand knowledge. For the record, I did the same trip at least 3 times in December in the 1990's in my 1st boat, a 56' cutter. I was in my 50's then, and remember waiting a few days for favorable winds, but never weeks. Now in my 80's, I've recently made one Gulf Stream crossing and a round trip to Cuba with comfort in Spring conditions. My main concern is waiting weeks to start a journey. This doesn't work for friends who still have a steady job. Thanks for your input.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23   #2

Boat: Salona 44
Re: Florida to Georgetown in January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM View Post
Hoping to get to Georgetown in the Exumas in January from Florida. A very knowledgeable friend, who is a well experienced sailor and who has made many many trips between the east coast of Florida and Georgetown over the past 20 or so years in 35' to 50' monohulls and catamarans, has suggested I could likely spend weeks waiting for suitable weather to cross in my 33' Beneteau. Before I commit to crew and friends who want to make the trip with me I would like to have 1st hand knowledge. For the record, I did the same trip at least 3 times in December in the 1990's in my 1st boat, a 56' cutter. I was in my 50's then, and remember waiting a few days for favorable winds, but never weeks. Now in my 80's, I've recently made one Gulf Stream crossing and a round trip to Cuba with comfort in Spring conditions. My main concern is waiting weeks to start a journey. This doesn't work for friends who still have a steady job. Thanks for your input.
It’s possible to have to wait that long and you will hear a lot of those opinions. People waiting for optimal conditions. It obviously of depends in large part on you and your crews comfort level and your boat. What I would personally do iis create two or three different weeks/windows on which to transport over Jan and/or Feb if needed. Look closely at the weather and abort if it looks bad. That way you aren’t wasting the vacation days of working crew. Perhaps they can inform their jobs of the nature of the plans. For me, I would find some contingencies to keep the boat in New Providence as well in case the weather was only good for a short trip. That way you could do the trip in steps should the situation dictate. With a little luck you will find a reasonable window. Just my opinion, I don’t claim to be a world expert, lol. Sounds like your open ocean experience is good. If it’s been a while update your safety and communications equipment. Safety equipment like PLBs, EPIRBS, PFDs are really a must in my opinion.
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 23:26   #3

Boat: Bali 4.0

There is a difference in waiting for a good weather window and waiting for a window that makes everyone comfortable. Chris Parker, who is widely respected as the best forecaster for the Caribbean is also known to be very “conservative” and will wait for a day with no wind at all... so if your friend is used to waiting for his version of a window I have no doubt it is or can be weeks.

The simple fact is that you may well have to wait for a window that fits the comfort level of you and your crew, and nobody will know for how long until you get there.
It’s difficult planning any sail around schedules back home, but also one of the worst mistakes you can make... never sail with a deadline/schedule.

What if you had those with schedule restrictions meet you there?
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 06:19   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I have a similar conundrum, at almost the same age as TFM. Some years ago my totally inexperienced brother came down the intercoastal with us, intent on crossing from Lake Worth. We had head-winds all the way from Titusville, and upon arriving at Lake Worth found people who had been waiting weeks for a favorable wind. I did not want to cross with my brother, who would have become an instant liability in the six foot seas, so we turned round and had a superb sail all the way back.
I am now considering February, again with inexperienced crew who have to give advance notice to their workplace—which we do not. So I’m inclined to either put it off until say, late March, or have them meet us when we eventually get there.
It’s only a short 60nm, a distance I am used to doing single handed, and we have a powerful schooner.
Why hamstring yourself to newbies on a schedule, which theDangerz rightly says, is the worst thing you can do on sailboat. Yet we still do it don't we?
Old 15-12-2019, 06:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Generally there are opportunities every week or more to sail across prior to a cold front in S to SW to W then NW winds. Have done upper Keys to Nassau in under 24 hours. Can be quite rough, but no danger just a bit uncomfortable in the Gulf Stream. You want to be on the bank before the wind goes NW
Old 15-12-2019, 07:42   #6

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Why hamstring yourself to newbies on a schedule, which theDangerz rightly says, is the worst thing you can do on sailboat. Yet we still do it don't we?
We do not.

We don’t have guests join very often... but when we do there are very solid rules/expectations laid out up front. We will do everything in our power to safely get to you, but there’s a chance your vacation could happen without us. We will also do our best to pick you up and drop you off at specific times to make your travel plans, but weather makes all final decisions.l and you should be prepared to have to change them without much notice.

Most cruisers we know EITHER have guests tell them where there want to visit and then give them a couple week notice of when to come, OR have guests tell them when they can visit and tell them a couple weeks in advance where to book the flights.

We originally thought that sounded harsh... but the simple fact is that the easiest way to get in trouble or at risk on a boat is making bad weather decisions based upon a schedule/deadline.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 07:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Yes it is possible to do it ANY month of the year. It helps to have experience and requires waiting for a weather window.

Contrary to internet knowledge I have had safe crossings with winds out of the north. Just need to have sound weather reports and know how to read the GRIB files.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, georgetown