Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 07:44   #16

Re: Florida to Panama

I would like to know what you think about it in blue water. Thank you for your responses.
warrenthames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:22   #17

Boat: Fales Navigator 32.9'

We are a 32 ft motorsailor - full keel - 3.6 draft - sail assist - 5 kt average unless winds and current are in our favor. We are also planning to go to Bocas. What time of year and route would be the best for us.? Thanks
Little Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:43   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Not this route, but I am scheduled to take a G105 out this Friday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenthames View Post
I would like to know what you think about it in blue water. Thank you for your responses.

Im just going on a little coastal hop, but will let you know my impressions.

Pretty sure there are some Gemini 105 owners on here who could chime in. Maybe some existing threads on the subject too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:46   #19

Ok Little Whale. We are still
Planning and are leaving around end of January. So far, we are looking at going to the Bahamas and then southwest through the windward passage to the Cayman Islands , then not sure yet from there. I will be glad to keep you posted and hope that we can get even more input from this forum.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:47   #20

[QUOTE=Little Whale;2700688]We are a 32 ft motorsailor - full keel - 3.6 draft - sail assist - 5 kt average unless winds and current are in our favor. We are also planning to go to Bocas. What time of year and route would be the best for us.? Thanks[/QUOTE

]Which route do you plan to take. The express route (Windward Passage to Panama) or the W Carib Coastal route (Mecixo, Belize, Guate, Bay Islands, Providencia, Panama)?

Any guess as to month of departure and from where (Florida too?) ?
Old 20-08-2018, 08:53   #21

Quote:
Ok Little Whale. We are still
Planning and are leaving around end of January. So far, we are looking at going to the Bahamas and then southwest through the windward passage to the Cayman Islands , then not sure yet from there. I will be glad to keep you posted and hope that we can get even more input from this forum.
Going to Caymans will of course put you further W and more of a beat against the trades if you want to shoot for Providencia or direct to Panama. If youve got time, then you can just wait for a frontal shift.

Jamaica keeps you a bit more E. Ive sailed Jamaica to Bay Isands...an easy off wind trade winds sail. Getting to Providencia/Panama shouldnt be too bad...esp if you wait for a litle NE shift (likely in Winter months, SE shifts are more common in Summer months).
Old 20-08-2018, 09:51   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Baja Bash in a G105 will be dreadfull.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 11:11   #23

I haven’t studied the pacific coast part of this yet but am guessing that’s what you mean by “Baja bash?” I know it is against the Alaskan stream. What is it like?
Old 20-08-2018, 12:08   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I haven’t studied the pacific coast part of this yet but am guessing that’s what you mean by “Baja bash?” I know it is against the Alaskan stream. What is it like?
The Baja Bash is the 700 miles or so north bound up the outside Baja.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:03   #25

Sounds like Havana to windward passage times 7!
Old 20-08-2018, 13:15   #26

We were hoping you would recommend best time of year and route. I know every year is different. First we were told to do Bahamas to Raggeds, go thru Windward Pass to Jamaica - down to Providencia then to Bocas. April-May or after hurricane season with a northerly??? We really don't want to go to Mexico and around.
Old 20-08-2018, 15:36   #27

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:

It's gonna be really bad with your bridge deck so close to the water. You will be running the engine and that sail drive at full power for 900 miles. You might have to motor all the way from Panama too.
A friendly suggestion; think about taking more time for this trip or leaving the boat somewhere for a while. You don't want to break your boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 16:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Whale View Post
We were hoping you would recommend best time of year and route. I know every year is different. First we were told to do Bahamas to Raggeds, go thru Windward Pass to Jamaica - down to Providencia then to Bocas. April-May or after hurricane season with a northerly??? We really don't want to go to Mexico and around.
Ok then, my perspective on when, and some other details, for the approx route above. This also assumes you are on a cruising schedule, not a delivery.

Timing/Staging. April-May is the most stable weather, but you lose the advantage or frontal shifts. So...start a little earlier and catch a late season frontal shift. Stage in the S Bahamas in mid Feb to wait for a favorable front. They often still roll thru into March. Ive staged in Acklins for this purpose. You dont really need a frontal shift to make this run (see "Pineapple Cup" route, attached), but it helps get you a more favorable cruiser-ly wind angle to Jamaica.

Windward Passage (WP). It can get pretty sporty in the WP in a cold front...so dont jump on a big beast of a front...choose wisely. Northerly component winds compress as they go thru the Windward Passage and increase in velocity. Seas compress and get more vertical/shorter periods. Echo off Cuba/Haiti may cause multiple wave trains. Ive run the WP in a moderate cold front (sustained NW winds N of the WP of about 25 knots). In the WP we had sustained winds of about 30+ and seas of about 8' max, but some were quite steep and coming from multiple angles. However, wind and seas were all from northerly angles and we were bound for Port Antonio, Jamaica so it was actually a hell of a fun ride! (surfed to 15 knots!). Get familiar with the traffic separation scheme off the Cuba side of the WP...its a busy highway...I suggest you dont play in it... run outside of it to the E.

Jamaica-Providencia. Port Antonio is a good option for land fall...and a pleasant stop. You may have to bash a bit around the E tip of Jamaica on your next leg, but its only about 35 miles, Once S of Jamaica in Feb-Mar prevailing trade winds will almost certainly be NE-E. This gives you a pleasant angle to make for Providencia...another great stop.

Colombian Low. Before making for Providencia (and before departing Providencia), check on the status of the area of stronger wind & seas off Colombia. From about Jan-April the trade winds interact with the Colombia Low and amp up that area. If it gets especially strong, its increased wind & seas can extend all the way over to the Providencia area. Its more normal position is shown on the attached Pilot Chart snippet by the area outlined in red.

Providencia-Bocas. There are several pleasant stops S of Providencia which also shorten your run to Bocas, like San Andreas and Albuquerque Keys. However, once S of about 11N you will likely lose the Trade Winds and it will be a motor sail all the way to Bocas...but wait, youre on a motorsailer! [emoji41]

Panama Winds & Currents. For those not on a motorsailer (and the OP who is going to Colon), note that the route from Providencia to Colon will likely keep you in the Trade Winds in Feb-March. This is because the winds in W Panama are almost always light and variable year round, but the Trade Winds fill in seasonally (about Jan-April) in E Panama. So, heading further E is likely a better sail then heading to Bocas...though could have you a bit on the wind depending on current conditions. Currents off Panama get complicated too. There are two large gyres, one in the W and one in the E which you will have to contend with...see COPERNICUS/Windy for a view of these currents.

Howz dat?

Attachment 175844

Attachment 175845
Old 20-08-2018, 16:52   #29

You're the best!! Thanks
We'll just have to do the best we can!
Old 20-08-2018, 19:02   #30