Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2019, 11:45   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Florida - Where are best sailing grounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post
That’s very helpful. And touches on one of my concerns. I’m from the northeast, so I like varied ‘terrain’. An island here and there. A hidden cove. Some protected bays - and some open water. And some destinations to target within 6-8 hours.

When you said the East Coast is ‘mostly straight shoreline’, that makes me think the Wesr, or SW (or SE) might be more varied and interesting?
Some sort of map is your best friend. Even a Rand McNally will show you what the coast looks like. You can even figure out traveling distances.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 15:46   #17

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30

I berthed at a marina just west of Port Canaveral called Harbor Town Marina.
It's on the canal leading from the ICW to the port, which is EAST of the locks. Those locks will be CLOSED from December 1st through April for maintenance.

Lloyd, Be aware that if you berth at the port you won't be able to go into the ICW for side trips to Cocoa, Titusville and the like. If you're berthed on the ICW side, you won't be able to get to the Ocean from the ICW.
Sea King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 17:06   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea King View Post
I berthed at a marina just west of Port Canaveral called Harbor Town Marina.
It's on the canal leading from the ICW to the port, which is EAST of the locks. Those locks will be CLOSED from December 1st through April for maintenance.

Lloyd, Be aware that if you berth at the port you won't be able to go into the ICW for side trips to Cocoa, Titusville and the like. If you're berthed on the ICW side, you won't be able to get to the Ocean from the ICW.
Stayed at Harbor Town on a trip down the ICW and thought it was a very nice marina. Nice people, good location. Well except for the closing of the locks
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:06   #19

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

We keep our boat on Biscayne Bay. The cruising is great. There are abundant anchorages for either a lunch or an overnight. You're 42 miles from Bimini. There's nightlife, dining, museums and world-class shopping all within minutes. Biscayne Bay is on any list of best places to sail in America. Sailing crews come from literally around the world to train here. You're out of your marina or mooring field in minutes and sailing. All that said, marinas here ain't cheap...
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:15   #20

Boat: Tartan 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I vote for SW coast as by far the better cruising ground...add to that the Keys and Dry Tortugas. But all thats a long way from Orlando.

The N Gulf Coast is a good cruising ground too...all the way from Pensacola to Mississippi Sound.
Definitely great sailing in the norther gulf coast. We keep our boat in Pensacola and have explored lots of the panhandle in both directions. Lot’s of great bays to sail, inside options, lots of easy inlets for outside routes, tons of quiet anchorages, state parks, beautiful waters, and AFFORDABLE!. Premium location marinas here are 1/3rd the cost the south.

Of course the downside is that getting to the Bahamas is a big time investment and difficult to do if working.

I figured the pan handle was too much of a drive for the OP though.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58   #21

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
99% of the FL east coast will be out the inlet, turn left or turn right, go up the coast and for a short cruise turn around and go back or for a longer one, go in at another inlet come back down the ICW. Good once or twice but for repeated sailing, unless you like sailing just for the sailing and don't care where you're going, it gets old fast.

There is a bit of variation around the Indian River and the Cape but 90% of that area is about 1' deep outside the channel so again you're limited.

If you want islands and actual cruising the west coast is really the option. But again, a lot of shallow water so a moderate draft will open a lot of options for where you can go. We're on N Captiva now for the week and even with my 19' motorboat we drag bottom a lot of places
Very helpful. I think I would indeed get bored quickly on the East coast. Anyone have a differing view?
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:01   #22

West coast, pan handle, key west to key biscayne, are all fabulous sailing grounds. The east coast doesn't have much going for it except offshore sailing and lots of dicey inlets.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:10   #23

West Central Florida has alot to offer and is reasobably priced. Dockage is running $12-$15 a foot normally. Ranging from old florida type marinas to more upscale places with pools. There are a couple good saillofts/rigging places in st. pete if you need anything.

If you are Tampa bay based you have easy access to alot of cruising friendly areas for overnights like and anchorages like Gulfport, St Pete (when the mooring field gets reinstalled or transient slip), Anclote Key, Desoto Point, Egmont Key. Lots of interesting places to overnight and explore.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:15   #24

Boat: Watkins 29

My guess is that the OP is sorry he asked by now!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:52   #25

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post
Thanks. Would the East coast sailing be mostly in the Atlantic, then? Doesn’t seem like many bays or inland sailing, right?

===

That is an accurate assessment in my experience. Except for the St Johns River, virtually all east coast sailing is on the ocean. On the west coast, Tampa Bay and the Charlotte Harbor area offers a decent amount of inshore sailing, and to a lesser extent, the lower Caloosahatchee River in the Ft Myers and Cape Coral area. The best Florida cruising is in the southwest, extending from Tampa down to the Florida Keys.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:55   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
West coast, pan handle, key west to key biscayne, are all fabulous sailing grounds. The east coast doesn't have much going for it except offshore sailing and lots of dicey inlets.

East coast has access to the Bahamas and the rest of the Caribbean, other wise I agree.
If your a deep draft boat, I think the East coast is more friendly for you too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

That is an accurate assessment in my experience. Except for the St Johns River, virtually all east coast sailing is on the ocean. On the west coast, Tampa Bay and the Charlotte Harbor area offers a decent amount of inshore sailing, and to a lesser extent, the lower Caloosahatchee River in the Ft Myers and Cape Coral area. The best Florida cruising is in the southwest, extending from Tampa down to the Florida Keys.

Don’t forget Pensacola bay and the bay at Panama City.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11   #28

Boat: Watkins 29

Unless you get down to Biscayne Bay in Miami, East Coast sailing is mostly in the ocean... which limits you due to weather and waves. Unless you like sailing in 5 to 7 footers in the winter.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:12   #29
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I’ve spent the last 8 years on the central FL east coast. I have a 43ft Beneteau with a 5.5 ft draft. I currently live in Ponce Inlet and know the waters here and in The Merritt Island/Canaveral area very well. The depth in the Halifax River is challenging and you have to know the Inlet if you want to stay off the bottom. The charts are WRONG in the Inlet due to constant shoaling which changes faster than the charts are published. Anyway, if I lived in Orlando, I would get a smaller boat - maybe 22-30 ft with a draft of 3-4 ft if possible, or a multi-hull and keep it outside the locks in Canaveral. The locks are nice when there’s a storm, but a pain in the butt otherwise. I had my boat in Merritt Island and it would take 2 hrs to get out. If you want to just sail the ICW, the Banana and Indian rivers are wide enough there from just north of the 528 bridge down to almost the south top of Merritt Island to have a reasonable sailing experience on some days. The wind isn’t reliable inside and it’s really hot in the summer. My personal preference is the ocean. If you want to sail and use restaurants and marinas, then keep the boat inside the locks. There are numerous marinas in the Cocoa and Merritt Island area.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:35   #30

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran

I too live on east coast of FL. The Sebastian inlet will only allow very small sailing vessels due to a low bridge, however the inlet at Ft Pierce 15 miles S. of Sebastian is one of the best on the east coast. You could keep your boat there, the drive is pleasant from Orlando, many many restaurant choices at inlet and surrounding area. The water depth is on average 4ft to the north in the Indian river lagoon all the way up to Melbourne/Merrit island. Plenty of "inside" islands to stop at near Sebastian on the ICW and clean wind there too. Finally anything S. of Miami's Rickenbacker bridge (Keys) is great sailing.
Spartanacus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail, sailing