Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 09:16   #31

Re: Florida - Where are best sailing grounds?

I've been sailing in the St Pete area for 5 yrs now. As mentioned in earlier post's, there are plenty of shallow areas to cruise up to and anchor out in. John's pass is very popular, some inter coastal sailing as well
jeff criswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:51   #32
Marine Service Provider

the problem with St Pete is its HOURS from Orlando even if traffic isn't bad. And its often bad.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:38   #33

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I've live in the Daytona area for sixty years and have sailed Florida's east, west and Gulf coasts many times. Ponce Inlet has a bad reputation but it's not really that bad. But Florida's east coast, after the first time or two, get's pretty boring. The Biscayne Bay and upper keys would be my first recommendation if you have time to travel that far. Second suggestion, as others have made, would be to work out of the Tampa Bay area. Not really too great a drive from Orlando. The bay area and west coast are not as nice as the keys but much-much better than Florida's east coast.

Hope you find a spot you can enjoy.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:53   #34
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you like a steady 10 to 12 knots then Clearwater or St. Petersburg. St. Augustine on the East coast is nice but the inlet is tough in most weather. Also Charlotte Harbor in SW Florida.
Old 13-12-2019, 04:29   #35

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post
Okay. So I am going to be working in Orlando during the week, commuting from up north. So that really opens the door for me to put a sailboat down in Florida for some weekend getaways.

But where? Which coast?

Initially I was thinking CLOSEST port - but then realized why not drive a few hours if the sailing is substantially better?!?!?

I'd love your ideas on where I should dock the boat? Closest is Cape Canaveral area, or Daytona, but the inland waters look very shallow. Should I look elsewhere on the EAST coast? Or head WEST? Tampa? Port Charlotte? etc?
True adventure spirit!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 07:36   #36

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

I don't know about you guys -- but I am enjoying this post a great deal! Many thanks to all for the amazing input and detail (Hopefully, some future readers can also get value out of this string of responses. You guys have really outlined the ins/outs of some of the better sailing grounds throughout the Florida peninsula. I'm sure I'll look back at this string over time - looking for new places to explore!)
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail, sailing