Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 10:05   #1

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Fly one way to Nassau

I have been asked to help a friend bring his boat back from the Bahamas to Florida. I can fly one way for half the cost of a round trip. However, I know I need to prove I have a return trip or a continuing plan when I check in. Has anyone done this recently? Would an email to me from the Captain of the boat stating that I am joining as crew suffice?

I know the owner/captain of the boat very well and I know the boat so, I don't need warnings about jumping on boats without checking them out. All is good there. I'm just concerned about getting to Nassau without sufficient proof of leaving. I have emailed the Embassy but probably won't get a response before I leave next week.

David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:14   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Fly one way to Nassau

Copy of the boat's Cruising Permit would probably suffice...
Old 02-06-2015, 11:00   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

I took a picture of the cruising permit and emailed it to my son who was joining us in Bimini. He showed it on his phone to the boarding agent in ft lauderdale. She did want him to email her a copy for her records which he did right at the gate and all was well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:05   #4

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I just never thought of it.

David
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06   #5

... what CSY Man suggests will work, have a copy of the cruising permit with you plus a 'letter of intent' from the boat captain explaining that you will be crew on a boat from the Bahamas to Florida leaving on date xyz.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45   #6

Boat: Nonsuch U30

The Bahamas do not seem to care how you get out, just that you pay the fees.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 13:56   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdwcheney View Post
The Bahamas do not seem to care how you get out, just that you pay the fees.
It's not the Bahamas that are the problem, it's getting the airline to sell you a one-way ticket.
Old 03-06-2015, 14:06   #8

Quote:
It's not the Bahamas that are the problem, it's getting the airline to sell you a one-way ticket.
This is easy nowadays if you buy online. You might get problems at the check-in because the airlines are asked to check that you have a return ticket.

In case of the Bahamas a copy of the cruising permit and letter of intend will work.

Done this 4 times the last months. In Florida (Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando) I ALWAYS had to present the cruising permit at the check-in because I had no flight out of the Bahamas ...

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 16:40   #9

Thumbs up Re: Fly one way to Nassau

OK. Thanks to all of your replies and a little leg work, I have it all worked out. However, I have to give a shout out to Amanda at

Watermakers Air
2331 NW 55th Ct. Hangar 19
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

I needed to get the CP and the boat is only reachable by text. So, the captain told me he had a part delivered by Watermakers Air in May and had to send them a copy of the CP. I called Amanda at Watermakers and she was very cordial and helpful. After confirming the owner's name and the yacht name she forwarded the email containing the CP to me.

That is going the extra mile for someone who isn't even a customer
Old 03-06-2015, 16:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
OK. Thanks to all of your replies and a little leg work, I have it all worked out.
You can also buy, from some airlines, a round trip ticket with a refundable return leg.
Dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 21:11   #11

I've done this a number of times also, and the others' suggestions are good. But just to be safe I try to have copies of the boat's registration or documentation certificate and insurance, in addition to cruising permit and letter from captain and/or owner. Usually it's overkill, but in some islands (not Bahamas...I think it was Barbados or St. Lucia) I've had to wait for a supervisor to "interview" (read: interrogate) me, copy all the documents and have me sign a statement! I usually have both paper, and pdf copies on my phone and laptop.

Airlines are usually pretty easy but you never know when some customs or immigration officer may get an acute case of "epauletsy" (thanks - Chris Doyle - for that most excellent descriptive term of what can happen once certain individuals put on a uniform of authority)....
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:08   #12

Last time I flew two crew members into Nassau (and then to Georgetown) we ordered the tickets on line and were asked for nothing. I prepared documents certifying as captain and the boat owner that they were coming in as crew and leaving the country on the boat. I attached copies of my cruising permit.

No one even asked to see them, on either end, after we just told the immigration official they were coming in to help crew the boat back. I don't think the airline even asked.

Tags
nassau