Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 17:38   #271
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure, but if he makes the Galapagos alone, what then? I expect it's expensive to keep a boat there long term, if it's even possible, and airfare in and out costs a fortune from SD. Same for the Marquesas. Just seems like Hawaii might provide options the other destinations don't, or at least be more affordable.
probably better to discuss this once they have met up with the support vessel later today,at the moment it is purely speculative,though it is all ways good to have a plan in place.
Old 05-04-2014, 17:44   #272

Boat: too many

Made the CBS Evening news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/us-nav...e-a-sick-baby/
Old 05-04-2014, 18:07   #273
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Sure, but if he makes the Galapagos alone, what then? I expect it's expensive to keep a boat there long term, if it's even possible, and airfare in and out costs a fortune from SD. Same for the Marquesas. Just seems like Hawaii might provide options the other destinations don't, or at least be more affordable.
Galapagos i doubt would let you have a boat there.

Marquesas or Tahiti. Hawaii is in the wrong direction to continue this voyage.
The Marquesas arn't that backward! Flights into and out of Nuku Hiva would be more expensive that some, but, hey, thats contingency cost for this disruption.

Anyway the baby might be right as rain in a week and Eric can stay on board and the family join him.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 05-04-2014, 18:16   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Galapagos i doubt would let you have a boat there.

Marquesas or Tahiti. Hawaii is in the wrong direction to continue this voyage.
The Marquesas arn't that backward! Flights into and out of Nuku Hiva would be more expensive that some, but, hey, thats contingency cost for this disruption.

Anyway the baby might be right as rain in a week and Eric can stay on board and the family join him.
possibly unattended in the galapagos,but it would be no biggie to put a local skipper on it till eric could sail it to the mainland or polynesia
Old 05-04-2014, 18:23   #275

Charlotte's sister just posted this on their Facebook page:

"just finished talking to Charlotte! They have had no idea how big this story has gotten. She wants me to first of all tell you Lyra is doing well. She is being taken care of so wonderfully by the PJ’s on board. Also, she wants me to tell you all thank you so much for the love and caring! They are all doing very well and are very tired. They are looking forward to being on the USS Vandergrift tomorrow. She was not able to talk long and said she would call me tomorrow after they transfer boats. They also told me that they are not going to sink the Rebel Heart, but are going to tag it and leave it behind. I have asked for the GPS of the location and I was told that they would email me it.
Charlotte has asked that she and her family stay on a base hotel for some privacy and some family time before the head out to New Mexico. As of right now they want to fly to New Mexico. She will let me know what they will need tomorrow. The Navy told them that they get one trip to get stuff off the boat. And it is what they can carry.
I wish I had more to tell you all, but again, I will tell you more as I learn it.
Thank a million times over for all that you guys are and have done. "
Old 05-04-2014, 18:25   #276

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I don't suppose there are many blue-water sailors who have high-level sport parachutist and swimming qualifications.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:29   #277
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Charlotte's sister just posted this on their Facebook page:

"just finished talking to Charlotte! They have had no idea how big this story has gotten. She wants me to first of all tell you Lyra is doing well. She is being taken care of so wonderfully by the PJ’s on board. Also, she wants me to tell you all thank you so much for the love and caring! They are all doing very well and are very tired. They are looking forward to being on the USS Vandergrift tomorrow. She was not able to talk long and said she would call me tomorrow after they transfer boats. They also told me that they are not going to sink the Rebel Heart, but are going to tag it and leave it behind. I have asked for the GPS of the location and I was told that they would email me it.
Charlotte has asked that she and her family stay on a base hotel for some privacy and some family time before the head out to New Mexico. As of right now they want to fly to New Mexico. She will let me know what they will need tomorrow. The Navy told them that they get one trip to get stuff off the boat. And it is what they can carry.
I wish I had more to tell you all, but again, I will tell you more as I learn it.
Thank a million times over for all that you guys are and have done. "
can you pass on a message,we might have a catamaran in panama that might be able to drop off a salvage crew on "rebel heart" and sail it to a safe port still waiting to hear froom the guys in panama,but will follow through if they are up for it
Old 05-04-2014, 18:32   #278
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you must have misunderstood what we were discussing.

from the vessels current position the galapagos is the closest land mass that eric could single hand to with favourable conditions should he chose to stay on board by himself without having to motor 900 miles to windward.

currently the winds are mostly northwesterly to the south of him for the next week,a fairly easy passage,then good connections to flights home,and a safe anchorage to leave the boat in till at least july
My misunderstanding then, but I don't see anywhere where they describe the actual condition of the child.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:37   #279

Quote:
can you pass on a message,we might have a catamaran in panama that might be able to drop off a salvage crew on "rebel heart" and sail it to a safe port still waiting to hear froom the guys in panama,but will follow through if they are up for it
Just sent your message to Sariah, Charlotte's sister through Facebook. I'll let you know if she responds.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:38   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
My misunderstanding then, but I don't see anywhere where they describe the actual condition of the child.
all speculative now they are abandoning the boat.

minarete/wotaname are you interested in setting up a rescue fund like last time.
if i can locate a yacht to get me onboard, my mate oflo on his 40 ft catamaran is currently in panama.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:45   #281

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
all speculative now they are abandoning the boat.

minarete/wotaname are you interested in setting up a rescue fund like last time.
if i can locate a yacht to get me onboard, my mate oflo on his 40 ft catamaran is currently in panama.
That seems doable. If I were Eric I'd want it taken to Hi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-04-2014, 18:50   #282
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You know less than you think, I believe. I do have a kid, and you make bets every day with them, whether you're on land, or at sea. Life is not inherently safe, and there are dangers for children all around. A totally risk-free life is impossible to achieve, and would be a worthless life even if you could achieve it. You take them in cars, you let them ride bicycles, you let them cross the street by themselves -- it is endless. Offshore sailing is not very dangerous, and hour for hour is probably less dangerous than being in a car. Obviously parents should try really hard and should be constantly vigilant to keep their children as safe as possible. But you can't cut them off from life in the process.
Did you read my other post.? I was raised on a sailboat and had a sister prematurely born at sea where we had to get military assistance to actually save my mother. I suffered from Fifth Disease when I was 7 or 8 in a Atlantic crossing and we made it into Spain.

My parents took many many risk with us kids. I'm giving Rebel Heart some credit in deciding what bet he wanted to take that was best for his family. We don't know the condition the child was in. As a sailor to another if I had a child on board even my snotty 9 year old little niece I'll take risk based on past results and not on forecast. If I'm sailing along with my g/f and my good friend I'll play the theory game. From what I read the toddler had food posining and plenty of toddlers from the 19th and 18th century completed their passages in kegs of rum. They are buried behind my church.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:53   #283

Boat: Supersonic 27

I thought I had also read in a previous message from Charlottes sister on Facebook, that the issue was that they were taking on water when they motored?

This makes more sense than the media's 'they lost power'.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:55   #284
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
That seems doable. If I were Eric I'd want it taken to Hi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
see what happens in the next 24 hrs,will get onto fb and contact his sister in the mean time and get some comms sorted.

any body have an idea if the boat has a tracker that would keep transmitting for the next 3-4 weeks ?
Old 05-04-2014, 19:21   #285

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko

Atoll,
Let me know, I may be able to be part of salvage crew.

Dan
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico