Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2024, 16:40   #1606

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagazio View Post
I've given up on trying to use FB Groups because my posts all end up in a "pending" void. So I came back to the gold standard for information, forums. I found this thread and would like to talk about my find in October. I got a Pearson 30 for $19.99 plus a $300 fee from a donor boat place. It floats, had a cradle and the place it's kept is pretty cheap for metro Detroit. I should say it's in the water and doing well. I definitely needs tidying up. I came here because after starting the engine, I found the seal weeping on water pump the Atomic 4. I'm going to post about that elsewhere. But for now, I thought I'd share my steal.
Man, just a water pump seal weeping.... easy fix.... probably 10 or more youtube how to videos on replacing it.
ekelly36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 16:46   #1607
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I've given up on trying to use FB Groups because my posts all end up in a "pending" void. So I came back to the gold standard for information, forums. I found this thread and would like to talk about my find in October. I got a Pearson 30 for $19.99 plus a $300 fee from a donor boat place. It floats, had a cradle and the place it's kept is pretty cheap for metro Detroit. I should say it's in the water and doing well. I definitely needs tidying up. I came here because after starting the engine, I found the seal weeping on water pump the Atomic 4. I'm going to post about that elsewhere. But for now, I thought I'd share my steal.
Get the rebuild kit and should take about a half hour to do the job .
https://moyermarine.com/product-category/pumpsparts/
Old 24-05-2024, 21:35   #1608

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Welcome aboard! The guy next to me has a Pearson 30 too. I haven't sailed one but it seems like a nice boat! Congratulations! If you hunt around for a consignment shop for parts you can keep her affordable. And I have had good luck with a used sail from Bacon too: https://baconsails.com/ and there are others. There are ways to keep costs down and get her sailing soon! Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 05:47   #1609

Boat: 1976 Pearson 30 #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelly36 View Post
Man, just a water pump seal weeping.... easy fix.... probably 10 or more youtube how to videos on replacing it.
I have the parts, I just don't know how to get to the pump on this boat. I hear small people can do it. I'm on a tight budget and am not paying for someone to do it. I have to redo my battery boxes to get in there. I was just looking for more P30 owners with atomic 4's for their input. So far, no comments on my post in "engines".
dagazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 05:49   #1610

Boat: 1976 Pearson 30 #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Bacon too: https://baconsails.com/ and there are others. There are ways to keep costs down and get her sailing soon! Good luck!
Thanks
dagazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 08:25   #1611

Quote:
I have the parts, I just don't know how to get to the pump on this boat. I hear small people can do it. I'm on a tight budget and am not paying for someone to do it. I have to redo my battery boxes to get in there. I was just looking for more P30 owners with atomic 4's for their input. So far, no comments on my post in "engines".
You might also try posting in "Monohulls" with a title like "Calling all Pearson 30 owners!" I bet many still have the Atomic 4s, or would remember how to do it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-05-2024, 12:05   #1612
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Post a couple pictures of it and it's specific location in your engine room I can figure it out and talk you through it .
Can't remember doing a p30 atomic but I'm sure I have somewhere in my 40 years doing boat work
Old 08-08-2024, 13:05   #1613

Boat: Challenger 32

Hello friends,

It feels strange to say, but I’m very seriously considering giving up my Challenger 32 for free, or something close to it. I thought I’d ask for opinions here before I go down that road - I’m open to any feedback from forum members about whether this seems like a sensible idea or not, in light of the following—

In recent years I had some health issues including knee surgeries and some other things that kept me from doing any serious boat projects on what is definitely a project boat. So cosmetically she’s in absolutely miserable shape - it's something I’m really ashamed of. (Visually speaking, my own cosmetic neglect has been compounded by the previous owner's inferior paint job without good surface prep, so current attempts to clean up the hull and deck just result in sloughed off old chalky paint and further visual degradation, rather than improvement.)

I was planning to sell her, but she probably wouldn’t sell without some big improvements, and the time and money I’d need to put into prepping and painting and scraping and varnishing, rebedding some hardware, and fixing a growing list of old-boat issues could not likely be offset by a sensible sale price. So my current feeling is that if there’s someone who has access to dry dock or a boat yard to spend some time bringing her back to her former glory, they might just want to take the boat for next-to-nothing and have at it.

For the record, I’ve regularly run the engine, changed oil, impeller (annually), etc., and have had great days sailing her recently, even in her dilapidated condition. Standing and running rigging are fine, sails are decent, bilge is dry, etc. The engine is a crusty old Perkins Perama M20 (an aged but functional 18hp / 3cyl diesel). I’d consider a re-power if starting from scratch, but it runs. She does have some issues beyond just the cosmetic - various things I could list.

The boat is in San Pedro, California. Anyway, I haven’t completely committed to giving her away, but am closing in on that as a good option for quickness and simplicity. Please feel free to share your opinion about my situation. I’m happy to provide more info about the boat. Thank you in advance for your insights.

Mike
mfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 13:58   #1614

Consider a donation to a qualified non-profit. Of which there are basically two types. One will just sell the boat at an auction and use the proceeds, if any are left after the auction/broker/hauler/storage fees, to fund their activities. The other (and IMO more deserving) is the type which will not sell the boat but will use her for their marine based non-profit endeavors. Usually teaching underprivileged kids or disabled folk the ins and outs of sailing, repairs, maintenance, etc.

Talk to your accountant to see if such donation would help you with your tax bill.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2024, 17:00   #1615

Boat: Pearson P-35

Here is a boat that is close to free if you are near Sweden.
An Albin Viggen for 5 Euros.
It came across my Instagram feed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_H4nVoP...Ju&img_index=7
Old 01-09-2024, 16:21   #1616

Hello everyone,For as long as I can remember, the sea has always called to me. I grew up far from the coast, where life at sea seemed almost unattainable, but the idea of sailing and exploring the world has always been a constant in my thoughts. The pursuit of freedom, self-sufficiency, and a connection with nature has become my life’s dream.My journey has been marked by challenges, especially financial ones. I didn’t have the privilege of inheritances or substantial resources, and everything I’ve built has been through hard work and determination. Coming from a humble background, I’ve learned to value the essentials and to be resilient, always seeking ways to turn my dreams into reality, no matter how difficult the path.My goal is to sail around the world, exploring new cultures, places, and people along the way. I don’t see the sea as just a destination, but as a means to discover the world in a unique way, connecting with what each port and each culture has to offer. For me, sailing is a way to transcend borders and find beauty in diversity.Currently, I’m searching for a sailboat that I can call home and that will allow me to achieve this dream. I’m not looking for something luxurious or fully equipped to set sail immediately. On the contrary, I want a boat that, even if it needs restoration and care, still has the potential for ocean crossings and life onboard. I am willing to put in all the effort and dedication to restore it and make it my traveling companion.If you were ever open to considering, I would be honored to receive the boat as a donation. With that, I would take care of it with the same care that was once dedicated to it. I would ensure that the boat continues to sail, always keeping its history and legacy alive.I understand that this request might seem uncommon, but to me, a sailboat is so much more than just a vessel. It represents an opportunity to continue a tradition of adventures at sea, while keeping the memory alive.Given my circumstances, prices—especially in foreign currencies—are quite difficult for me to manage. So, I’m seeking more accessible alternatives, whether through donation or lower-cost options, to help make this life project on the sea a reality.I know this forum is full of people with incredible life stories and inspiring experiences at sea. That’s why I’m here asking for help and advice from this community. If anyone knows of a boat that needs a new caretaker or an opportunity for someone like me who’s willing to invest time and love in its restoration, I would be deeply grateful for any guidance.This is more than just a dream – it’s a life project. I want to make the sea my home, learn from the world, and fully live each experience that this journey can offer.I deeply appreciate anyone who can offer words of encouragement, tips, or opportunities. I’m excited to begin this new chapter of my life, and hopefully, one day, share my own adventures with all of you.With gratitude.

V. Kerhart
Kerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:00   #1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerhart View Post
Hello everyone,For as long as I can remember, the sea has always called to me. I grew up far from the coast, where life at sea seemed almost unattainable, but the idea of sailing and exploring the world has always been a constant in my thoughts. The pursuit of freedom, self-sufficiency, and a connection with nature has become my life’s dream.My journey has been marked by challenges, especially financial ones. I didn’t have the privilege of inheritances or substantial resources, and everything I’ve built has been through hard work and determination. Coming from a humble background, I’ve learned to value the essentials and to be resilient, always seeking ways to turn my dreams into reality, no matter how difficult the path.My goal is to sail around the world, exploring new cultures, places, and people along the way. I don’t see the sea as just a destination, but as a means to discover the world in a unique way, connecting with what each port and each culture has to offer. For me, sailing is a way to transcend borders and find beauty in diversity.Currently, I’m searching for a sailboat that I can call home and that will allow me to achieve this dream. I’m not looking for something luxurious or fully equipped to set sail immediately. On the contrary, I want a boat that, even if it needs restoration and care, still has the potential for ocean crossings and life onboard. I am willing to put in all the effort and dedication to restore it and make it my traveling companion.If you were ever open to considering, I would be honored to receive the boat as a donation. With that, I would take care of it with the same care that was once dedicated to it. I would ensure that the boat continues to sail, always keeping its history and legacy alive.I understand that this request might seem uncommon, but to me, a sailboat is so much more than just a vessel. It represents an opportunity to continue a tradition of adventures at sea, while keeping the memory alive.Given my circumstances, prices—especially in foreign currencies—are quite difficult for me to manage. So, I’m seeking more accessible alternatives, whether through donation or lower-cost options, to help make this life project on the sea a reality.I know this forum is full of people with incredible life stories and inspiring experiences at sea. That’s why I’m here asking for help and advice from this community. If anyone knows of a boat that needs a new caretaker or an opportunity for someone like me who’s willing to invest time and love in its restoration, I would be deeply grateful for any guidance.This is more than just a dream – it’s a life project. I want to make the sea my home, learn from the world, and fully live each experience that this journey can offer.I deeply appreciate anyone who can offer words of encouragement, tips, or opportunities. I’m excited to begin this new chapter of my life, and hopefully, one day, share my own adventures with all of you.With gratitude.

V. Kerhart
Welcome aboard! I wish you luck in your search for a suitable boat and in all your adventures! There is an adage you'll hear here, something to the effect of, "the most expensive boat is one that is free." That said I would NOT be surprised if you find yourself with a donation of a boat that is structurally sound but may have been neglected for some years and needs primarily cosmetic work. If you have some good DIY skills (or are willing to acquire them, which you are) AND tools, and time, and energy, and a place where you can work on the boat for little or no money, I can see it happening for you. There will still be a need for a cash flow; you will need it for yourself and the boat will need it too. How much that is depends on where you live and what kind of boat you get. If you are new to the boating world it is wise to get advice on a particular boat among the folks here or elsewhere to get an idea if it is suitable for you and what its particular strengths or weaknesses might be.
I think you should not be discouraged. There are many boats where I am that owners will eventually part with and have to do so for little return. Slip fees are going up, sailboats are less appealing now and there are many that are structurally fine but most buyers don't want an old boat. And an owner of an older boat, like me, would prefer not to see their boat become a derelict; they'd prefer to see her continue to sail. And for that they may be willing to let her go for pennies, AND they may even throw in a pile of equipment and tools and advice and help. When I was a kid I got a boat from a local boatbuilder that way and he was excited to help me get started. There are consignment shops that sell equipment from salvaged boats and peoples' garages very cheap. Many times folks will change something on a boat that is fine but just not new or pretty any more.
I suggest you start a thread recording your progress along the way. There are many folks with similar dreams! Good luck! When you follow a dream like this you may not end up where you first imagine, but you'll end up somewhere great.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old Yesterday, 14:54   #1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard! I wish you luck in your search for a suitable boat and in all your adventures! There is an adage you'll hear here, something to the effect of, "the most expensive boat is one that is free." That said I would NOT be surprised if you find yourself with a donation of a boat that is structurally sound but may have been neglected for some years and needs primarily cosmetic work. If you have some good DIY skills (or are willing to acquire them, which you are) AND tools, and time, and energy, and a place where you can work on the boat for little or no money, I can see it happening for you. There will still be a need for a cash flow; you will need it for yourself and the boat will need it too. How much that is depends on where you live and what kind of boat you get. If you are new to the boating world it is wise to get advice on a particular boat among the folks here or elsewhere to get an idea if it is suitable for you and what its particular strengths or weaknesses might be.
I think you should not be discouraged. There are many boats where I am that owners will eventually part with and have to do so for little return. Slip fees are going up, sailboats are less appealing now and there are many that are structurally fine but most buyers don't want an old boat. And an owner of an older boat, like me, would prefer not to see their boat become a derelict; they'd prefer to see her continue to sail. And for that they may be willing to let her go for pennies, AND they may even throw in a pile of equipment and tools and advice and help. When I was a kid I got a boat from a local boatbuilder that way and he was excited to help me get started. There are consignment shops that sell equipment from salvaged boats and peoples' garages very cheap. Many times folks will change something on a boat that is fine but just not new or pretty any more.
I suggest you start a thread recording your progress along the way. There are many folks with similar dreams! Good luck! When you follow a dream like this you may not end up where you first imagine, but you'll end up somewhere great.
-------------------------------------&&&&----------------------------------------

And now, news from another world.

Hello there.

First of all, thank you for your kind words. They really mean a lot to me as I’m just starting out. There’s a saying in Brazil: “When somebody gives you a horse, you don’t look at its teeth,” meaning that something valuable is worth accepting even if it’s not perfect.

If it floats and can be fixed with good old-fashioned craftsmanship (besides epoxy resin and glass fiber), I’ll be very happy to accept. In fact, there’s a Catalina 30 in Waukegan, IL, which the owner has tentatively agreed to give me.

But I need to be there before September 30th, in a few weeks, and I need a visa to travel to the USA in time, and can take till 45 days to get one. It’s quite a challenge, but I’m working hard to make it happen. I’m dreaming of taking the boat from Illinois to Alabama and then to the Gulf. It seems like a lot of work, but just a few weeks ago, it felt like a distant dream.The idea of documenting this journey really excites me.

If anyone has an unused GoPro or similar camera, I’d be thrilled to take it! Seriously, though, do you think it’s a good idea to document everything?

I could use some support to fund my travel to take the boat, and I’m exploring options like PayPal - but frankly, I have no idea.

I’m still on the lookout for a boat to call my home, and I’ll keep everyone updated with any progress or news.

Until then, your weekly broadcast!

-------------------------------------&&&&----------------------------------------

PS: if anybody found anything, please send here to me

PS2: I'm serious about the GoPro ��
Kerhart is offline   Reply With Quote

« Wave height | - »