Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 11:54   #151

Boat: in the works
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The ol Chris Crafts had a good rep. If the keel and bolts check out, that could be a great boat. I knew a guy many years ago with an Apache who sang it’s praises often. Like all the 60s boats it too had a good rep for hull strength, and pretty fast in its day!
Now if you could find a Comanche I might be all over that one......
If I see one I'll post it! But not likely. I was shocked to see an Invicta in the wild two weeks ago!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 14:30   #152

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The ol Chris Crafts had a good rep. If the keel and bolts check out, that could be a great boat. I knew a guy many years ago with an Apache who sang it’s praises often. Like all the 60s boats it too had a good rep for hull strength, and pretty fast in its day!
Now if you could find a Comanche I might be all over that one......
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

According to the ad, the keelbolts have been replaced. Some of the early boats had through bolted keels, with the bolt heads recessed and faired on the bottom of the keel. If thats the case, and new bolts were installed as they claim, that would be a huge feature on this boat. Combined with thick glass, no core, and S&S design...this boat has a lot going for it.

FWIW, Lake Ontario to the ocean is easy via the oswego and erie canals. A week of canals, followed by a week down the hudson river, and hello Atlantic ocean.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 16:18   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

According to the ad, the keelbolts have been replaced. Some of the early boats had through bolted keels, with the bolt heads recessed and faired on the bottom of the keel. If thats the case, and new bolts were installed as they claim, that would be a huge feature on this boat. Combined with thick glass, no core, and S&S design...this boat has a lot going for it.

FWIW, Lake Ontario to the ocean is easy via the oswego and erie canals. A week of canals, followed by a week down the hudson river, and hello Atlantic ocean.
I think less time than that. Oswego to the hudson about three days if you hustle, Hudson to Atlantic I think shouldn't be more than two days.
Old 20-03-2018, 16:27   #154

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Bumping this. Man all these haters talking trash on this thread on. I bought a 35 foot boat for scraps and sailed it to the bahamas then sold it for $21,500. But I guess I'm an idiot too. Jokes on anyone that's talking trash.

If you know anything about boats and have two hands that can work, a free boat is the way to go.
Old 21-03-2018, 03:26   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Bumping this. Man all these haters talking trash on this thread on. I bought a 35 foot boat for scraps and sailed it to the bahamas then sold it for $21,500. But I guess I'm an idiot too. Jokes on anyone that's talking trash.

If you know anything about boats and have two hands that can work, a free boat is the way to go.
For sure! I just like to tell people to know what they’re getting into, and not to get in over their heads. There are plenty of books and videos out there to learn from! Fiberglass repair can be a little daunting, but if you practice first it does get easier. Understanding the process and using the correct tools and technique is vital. I also want to add that there are some real turds out there! Both free and with dollar amounts on them. I looked at a boat here that was listed for sale for $6k. The owner had partially removed the inboard and it was sitting on the cabin floor in about a foot of water. There was a scum line about a foot above that and the cabin stank of diesel. I wouldn’t take that boat for free, but he felt it was worth the asking price. Shop carefully!!
Old 23-03-2018, 03:52   #156

Pretty good example of a work on it while you fix it up. They're asking $8k for it, but I'm sure it could be had for less. From what I see in the pictures, it looks like there could be some sort of water leak that lets water make it to the cabin floor, leaving a water mark. I think it's worth checking out.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa...510530231.html
Old 23-03-2018, 04:02   #157

Since we all know that a "Free or next to free" boat WILL need work, I decided to search for some good information sites to help anyone who may be considering getting in the game. There are a TON of videos out there of people doing glass work! Many of them are doing it WRONG!! But I did find one guy who does it right, and explains the repair out well so that you can understand. I've become addicted to watching Andy from Boat Works Todays' videos, and watching how he does things has shown me where I've done things..... less than right lets just say. If your'e interested, heres a link of Andy showing how to do a repair on a hole. I recommend doing a bunch of practices before attempting this on your own boat!
Old 23-03-2018, 04:35   #158

I don't know how I missed this one!! She does need work, but SO worth it!! Beautiful!
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa...503333246.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00M0M_eSBD3lQnKNf_1200x900.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	166852  
Old 23-03-2018, 13:00   #159

Boat: Tartan 40

I think all need to remember that free really means:
“it will eventually cost you more than a well maintained version on the market, but you get to spread the costs over years while you spend endless hours working on it”
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 13:21   #160
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Conclusion being, only worth it if you actually enjoy the process (almost) as much as actually sailing.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 13:40   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I think all need to remember that free really means:
“it will eventually cost you more than a well maintained version on the market, but you get to spread the costs over years while you spend endless hours working on it”
More? Ok. I'll keep track of all my receipts and when I'm done we will know for sure! I guess I wouldn't expect someone in a Tartan 40 to get it, but there are people out there who enjoy the work it takes to bring something back to life. Nobody who likes this thread is here looking for a new or finished boat.
Old 23-03-2018, 13:57   #162

Went to look at this today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B568BEAC-3EFF-4801-B6FE-A5EF414BA59B.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	166898  
Old 23-03-2018, 19:11   #163

Boat: Tartan 40
FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
More? Ok. I'll keep track of all my receipts and when I'm done we will know for sure! I guess I wouldn't expect someone in a Tartan 40 to get it, but there are people out there who enjoy the work it takes to bring something back to life. Nobody who likes this thread is here looking for a new or finished boat.

Ouch. Nice attack. Of course you know nothing of my journey to my current dream boat but judge away.

My prior boat was a luders 33 project boat which actually wasn’t free and had some good gear. Even then I spent more than double the purchase price to restore over 7 years while using it, to sell eventually for 20% more than I bought it for. Knowing now what I know then, I would have tried to buy more
Updated boat up front. Sails rigging and systems add up quickly even if you do 100% of labor on boat as I did and still do on my T40 (which is 31 years old)
I had same thoughts as you did. One day added up my receipts and found out the truth [emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 19:13   #164
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
there are people out there who enjoy the work it takes to bring something back to life.
Nobody's saying don't do it if you enjoy spending your time that way.

But there are many who think they'll save a lot of money overall compared to paying more up-front for a well maintained example.

Some even think they'll end up with a boat worth so much they'll recoup, get paid for their labor time at a decent rate.

Such is maybe possible for an experienced semi pro, but IMO very very rare and impossible for a beginner.

That's all, mostly just cautioning those who would rather be sailing.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 05:15   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Ouch. Nice attack. Of course you know nothing of my journey to my current dream boat but judge away.

My prior boat was a luders 33 project boat which actually wasn’t free and had some good gear. Even then I spent more than double the purchase price to restore over 7 years while using it, to sell eventually for 20% more than I bought it for. Knowing now what I know then, I would have tried to buy more
Updated boat up front. Sails rigging and systems add up quickly even if you do 100% of labor on boat as I did and still do on my T40 (which is 31 years old)
I had same thoughts as you did. One day added up my receipts and found out the truth [emoji3]
Seriously didnt mean it as an attack, just saying (and assuming) someone with a newer boat isn't looking to do the same thing I am. The point of the thread wasn't just getting a boat on the cheap, but also finding something that needs to be restored. We've all seen them! The amazing classics, or beautiful designs that for one reason or another have been left to sit. I never post garbage on here.... and there is A LOT of it! I guess the way I feel about it is in the end, If I was to, let's say buy that well kept older boat for 10K, I would still make changes to the cabin and go through it with a fine tooth comb. I'd still end up spending more $$ on that boat.

« Wave height | - »