Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 05:17   #166

Boat: in the works
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Nobody's saying don't do it if you enjoy spending your time that way.

But there are many who think they'll save a lot of money overall compared to paying more up-front for a well maintained example.

Some even think they'll end up with a boat worth so much they'll recoup, get paid for their labor time at a decent rate.

Such is maybe possible for an experienced semi pro, but IMO very very rare and impossible for a beginner.

That's all, mostly just cautioning those who would rather be sailing.
Hey I hear you. I've said multiple times "Don't get in over your head"! Anyone looking to flip a boat who doesn't own a shop loaded with the tools needed, and the ability to buy wholesale is making a mistake. No doubt. Don't refurb to flip... refurb for the love of it!!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 05:44   #167

This is interesting. Newer boat, and at a salvage yard I think.... Can't see why it would be but this could be a "florida" boat. https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/h...541375642.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00U0U_8Yw0FJpAqdX_1200x900.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	166938  
Old 24-03-2018, 12:55   #168

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Hey I hear you. I've said multiple times "Don't get in over your head"! Anyone looking to flip a boat who doesn't own a shop loaded with the tools needed, and the ability to buy wholesale is making a mistake. No doubt. Don't refurb to flip... refurb for the love of it!!

Well said. Flipping a boat for profit seems to be limited to boat storage yards, and that’s more of a loss recovery than a profit operation. Still, I bought a $1,200 sailboat with trailer, and I’m sailing. I understand that any money I put in it will not lead to a return on the investment. When you’re dealing with boats that cost less than a year’s storage/harboring, there’s really not any money to be made. But I love this thread and others like it because there is wisdom here. There’s a cool resurgence of interest in sailing that is fueled in part by the DIY/maker/tiny house community discovering sailing, rather than the Thurston Howell III types, and threads like this support and encourage it. I admit that I feel a smug self satisfaction cruising out on my fixer-upper past grander, more ostentatious vessels that never seem to leave the harbor, whose owners are dependent on others for everything from outfitting to maintenance and repairs. This is an amazing time in sailing where a patient, crafty sailor can get into sailing for a very modest cash outlay. I sailed dinghies in a park district program as a kid, and I never thought I would have the money to get a proper sailboat of my own. I was actually looking for a Laser when I found my Catalina Capri 25! It’s true that you have to be willing to work and you might pay more in the long run, but you’re sailing (hopefully) the whole time. And you learn so much. When you fix a system yourself, you really learn how it works, and it makes you a better sailor along the way. For example, my tiller delaminated and I had to repair and then eventually replace it myself. But I learned so much doing it, and along the way I optimized it for the auto-tiller that the PO had included.

There are plenty of amazing, forgotten boats out there on the hard, waiting to be discovered and brought back. I fully encourage anyone who feels like it might be a good idea to do it. Learn the market, see what’s out there, figure out your storage, and go for it! Buying a boat has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and has lead to a lot of personal growth and awesome times with my sons.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 15:38   #169

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
...I love this thread and others like it because there is wisdom here. There’s a cool resurgence of interest in sailing that is fueled in part by the DIY/maker/tiny house community discovering sailing, rather than the Thurston Howell III types, and threads like this support and encourage it. I admit that I feel a smug self satisfaction cruising out on my fixer-upper past grander, more ostentatious vessels that never seem to leave the harbor, whose owners are dependent on others for everything from outfitting to maintenance and repairs. This is an amazing time in sailing where a patient, crafty sailor can get into sailing for a very modest cash outlay.
There are plenty of amazing, forgotten boats out there on the hard, waiting to be discovered and brought back. I fully encourage anyone who feels like it might be a good idea to do it. Learn the market, see what’s out there, figure out your storage, and go for it! Buying a boat has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and has lead to a lot of personal growth and awesome times with my sons.
Each time I bought a boat, it was because I wanted to go sailing on that boat. Never had the intent of flipping. I never chose the boat...the boat chose me. First time was an estate sale. Next time was sight unseen in the early days of the internet (before digital pics). The next time, cause I was really broke, but still wanted to go sailing.

Each time I fixed up the boat...not for profit...but because I liked the boat, and I could. Most boat work is just manual labour...sanding, scraping, painting, cleaning. I loved the feeling when I could take something apart, clean it all up, and put it back together. I was always amazed at how much better a boat could look just by getting all the unnecessary junk off it and getting it super clean.

Owning a sailboat isn't a destination...its a path that never ends. There is always more to do on the boat. And in the meantime, you get to sail...big winds, calm days, nights at anchor making lists, making memories with your kids. Owning and sailing a boat is a wonderful thing to do. I'm glad for threads like this that help people get into their next boat, regardless of the $$$. Its not about the $$$, its about the sailing, the adventure, and living your dream.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 17:46   #170

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

Owning a sailboat isn't a destination...its a path that never ends. There is always more to do on the boat. And in the meantime, you get to sail...big winds, calm days, nights at anchor making lists, making memories with your kids. Owning and sailing a boat is a wonderful thing to do. I'm glad for threads like this that help people get into their next boat, regardless of the $$$. Its not about the $$$, its about the sailing, the adventure, and living your dream.
BINGO!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 05:18   #171

Thank you all for the supportive posts!
Old 25-03-2018, 07:51   #172

Another cool thread. I'm going to binge on it today.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eas-73045.html
Old 25-03-2018, 08:13   #173

So... went to go see a Pearson Renegade, hull #127. Handymans dream for sure. Solid hull and decks but does need a cockpit floor. The gelcoat is shot. Would have to be sanded down and painted or new gelcoat applied. There is crazing everywhere on deck. Coach roof is solid. The one hatch looks good but should probably be updated. The gangway needs work; it closes and everything fits, but its not weather tight. (is this a Renegade trait?) The cabin needs cleaning for sure, but there is no apparent leaks and all but one piece of the mahogany is in good shape. The one piece in question runs side to side under the gangway and is an easy fix, but it does look like it's gotten wet in the past so that would need to be addressed first. Engine was winterized before storage, and the owner even emptied the fuel tank and lines. He does say it runs well. Personally, I would replace all of the plywood from the engine aft. To me it's a small but worth it investment to make sure all is good, resined in, clean and dry. All standing rigging looked useable, but I would replace all running rigging. I saw no blistering, delamination, or trouble spots anywhere that would make me say no to this boat. The owner is elderly, and sailed it up untill four years ago when he had a heart attack and was ordered to stop sailing. She has sat in his yard, under cover, since. I could tell be talking to him that he loved the boat. He has been offered money by a scrap yard who would cut her up for the keel (Where SO many old boats go) but he would rather she be brought back to life. Asking price; $500
I apologize for not taking more pictures! I was so excited to crwl around under the cover and check it out that it slipped my mind. Next time.
Old 25-03-2018, 08:44   #174

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
The owner is elderly, and sailed it up untill four years ago when he had a heart attack and was ordered to stop sailing. She has sat in his yard, under cover, since. I could tell be talking to him that he loved the boat. He has been offered money by a scrap yard who would cut her up for the keel (Where SO many old boats go) but he would rather she be brought back to life. Asking price; $500

This certainly sounds like a promising starting point, and is a microcosm of a larger trend in sailing and sailboats in the US- boats that are so well built and so lightly used that they outlast their owners. Combine with a generally waning interest in sailing/boat ownership in broader society, and you end up with opportunities like this one. Like the 50’s American cars in Cuba, those Pearsons can last for generations if cared for. Keep posting! I have high hopes for you.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 09:03   #175

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
So... went to go see a Pearson Renegade, hull #127. Handymans dream for sure. Solid hull and decks but does need a cockpit floor. The gelcoat is shot. Would have to be sanded down and painted or new gelcoat applied. There is crazing everywhere on deck. Coach roof is solid. The one hatch looks good but should probably be updated. The gangway needs work; it closes and everything fits, but its not weather tight. (is this a Renegade trait?) The cabin needs cleaning for sure, but there is no apparent leaks and all but one piece of the mahogany is in good shape. The one piece in question runs side to side under the gangway and is an easy fix, but it does look like it's gotten wet in the past so that would need to be addressed first. Engine was winterized before storage, and the owner even emptied the fuel tank and lines. He does say it runs well. Personally, I would replace all of the plywood from the engine aft. To me it's a small but worth it investment to make sure all is good, resined in, clean and dry. All standing rigging looked useable, but I would replace all running rigging. I saw no blistering, delamination, or trouble spots anywhere that would make me say no to this boat. The owner is elderly, and sailed it up untill four years ago when he had a heart attack and was ordered to stop sailing. She has sat in his yard, under cover, since. I could tell be talking to him that he loved the boat. He has been offered money by a scrap yard who would cut her up for the keel (Where SO many old boats go) but he would rather she be brought back to life. Asking price; $500
I apologize for not taking more pictures! I was so excited to crwl around under the cover and check it out that it slipped my mind. Next time.
sounds like a good boat
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 09:50   #176

There is a thread here about the Renegade. I can’t link it now but it is called “how would a Renegade fare as a world cruiser” or something like that
Old 26-03-2018, 13:30   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There is a thread here about the Renegade. I can’t link it now but it is called “how would a Renegade fare as a world cruiser” or something like that
Looked around for it. I am also looking at two Tritons soon.... I like the Triton style more, but I'm ok with a Renegade.
Old 26-03-2018, 17:06   #178

Here it is:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-163896.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-03-2018, 17:27   #179

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Looked around for it. I am also looking at two Tritons soon.... I like the Triton style more, but I'm ok with a Renegade.
Pearson Triton...like this one: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/owe...ationFlag=true

Asking price is $1600 cdn...that's like $900 usd right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	167165  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 17:54   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Pearson Triton...like this one: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/owe...ationFlag=true

Asking price is $1600 cdn...that's like $900 usd right?
Not sure what the exchange rate is but still a good deal!