Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 16:27   #271
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: FREE, or close to free!

8.53, third of an inch over 8-)

Yes one guesses a Nordic boat that's lasted 40 years' likely to have good bones.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 16:34   #272

Boat: Catalina Capri 25
FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
There is a regular eBay seller called Boat Angel that sells donated boats, often in very good shape, perhaps needing a motor or other work. I've seen many go for a virtual song.

Unfortunately for me most of them are in the Northeast or west coast.

Boat Angel has bench signs and billboards up near me in sunny Chicago. I have looked at many of those boats and think that there are some good ones to be had. I could certainly understand why people would end up donating a boat instead of selling given the apparently bottomless market that has given rise to this thread. I have sold a few cars on Craigslist, and when I can tell you that when you list that $800 starts-runs-drives car, you’ll get plenty of calls. I can’t imagine how many calls you’d get on a free car.

Meanwhile, here’s a potential club racing bully (according to the consensus of the fine folks at S.A.) waiting to be taken home:

https://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/ta...539549197.html

Now I understand that this is CF, and that “Little Lady” is very much a coastal and lakes vessel. That being said at $1200 with a nice transom hung tiller and a solid looking motor mount, looks like she might be someone’s ticket to summertime fun.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:56   #273

Boat: in the works

Looks decent, but it's on Lake Winnipesaukee.
https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/colu...561954621.html
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 19:19   #274

Can't remember if this was posted or not and can't find it in the thread. '73 Contessa 26

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/d...555556970.html
Old 15-04-2018, 20:28   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Looks decent, but it's on Lake Winnipesaukee.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/colu...561954621.html

I am really into the outboard motor well in the lazarette. To me it’s the best way to have an outboard, and now that I’ve turned myself into a fair outboard mechanic and I’m deep in running motors, that’s been my jam. Nice find.
Old 15-04-2018, 20:40   #276

Quote:
Can't remember if this was posted or not and can't find it in the thread. '73 Contessa 26

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/d...555556970.html

Another beautiful vessel. Jefjo you and i have a very similar taste in boats! Iprefer the lengthier keel and keel hung rudder on that Contessa, but I’d like to submit this 1976 Shipman Accent for your consideration:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa...550269403.html

The 8hp diesel, skeg for rudder, and small cockpit seem like they’d get you through some wet and windy weather. Also built as the Albin Accent, those Swedes have a good reputation for boat building. I’m less pumped for the cast iron wing keel but at $3,000 it’s looking acceptable.
Old 16-04-2018, 04:11   #277

Liquidice In New England a full length keel helps out when going through the lobster pots. They seem to be everywhere when your'e not paying attention! My father kept a mask and snorkel aboard because of all the times he'd get caught up. But yes for sure I do love an old look... swept deck, full keel. The old Pearsons and Rhodes are favorites.
Old 16-04-2018, 06:48   #278

Boat: Valiant 40

So this boat has been sitting at the yard I'm at (Sailcraft Service in Oriental, NC) for six years, up on the hard. It is abandoned. Evidently someone bought it for $16k back then, had it moved to Sailcraft, then subsequently refused all communication from the yard and has not paid any storage fees.

It is a Hans Christian 36' (or Union 36, although the Hull ID number comes back Hans Christian). A heavy displacement (22k lbs.) "stretched" version of the Hans Christian 34. The good news is that all the deck hardware and standing rigging appears to be in very good shape, and a cursory examination of the motor by the yard mechanic came back "not too bad". In fact, the mechanic was contemplating acquiring the boat but decided he had too many other projects.

The bad: the interior will need to be gutted. While the decks feel sound, the coach roof, which has teak overlay (the decks do not) has been leaking. The yard drilled a mercy hole, but the interior wood (and probably the wiring) is shot.

The yard owner says he can get title if so motivated, and he's looking to sell the boat to get it out of the yard. That said, he's not making any money off of it now and it's taking up space; a proposal to take the boat for free and spend money at the yard to get her in the water would be money in his pocket. It's a DIY yard but also full service. For someone with the time and skills to fix up a boat like this, it could be a world cruiser at a good price.

If interested talk to Alan at (252) 249-0522.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:37   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
So this boat has been sitting at the yard I'm at (Sailcraft Service in Oriental, NC) for six years, up on the hard. It is abandoned. Evidently someone bought it for $16k back then, had it moved to Sailcraft, then subsequently refused all communication from the yard and has not paid any storage fees.

It is a Hans Christian 36' (or Union 36, although the Hull ID number comes back Hans Christian). A heavy displacement (22k lbs.) "stretched" version of the Hans Christian 34. The good news is that all the deck hardware and standing rigging appears to be in very good shape, and a cursory examination of the motor by the yard mechanic came back "not too bad". In fact, the mechanic was contemplating acquiring the boat but decided he had too many other projects.

The bad: the interior will need to be gutted. While the decks feel sound, the coach roof, which has teak overlay (the decks do not) has been leaking. The yard drilled a mercy hole, but the interior wood (and probably the wiring) is shot.

The yard owner says he can get title if so motivated, and he's looking to sell the boat to get it out of the yard. That said, he's not making any money off of it now and it's taking up space; a proposal to take the boat for free and spend money at the yard to get her in the water would be money in his pocket. It's a DIY yard but also full service. For someone with the time and skills to fix up a boat like this, it could be a world cruiser at a good price.

If interested talk to Alan at (252) 249-0522.
Wow!! Thank you for sharing!
Old 16-04-2018, 08:51   #280

Yeah she’ll need some updating, but what a classic!
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/1977-golden-hind-31/6561633094.html
Old 16-04-2018, 10:45   #281
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Yeah she’ll need some updating, but what a classic!
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/...561633094.html
Great reading up on that design, three bilge keels, beach anywhere and super-safe for off shore.

Many variables in build quality, but it seems those built by Terry Erskine in solid GRP are still going strong, and some were made in steel!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 05:39   #282

This is a nice looking Pearson Renegade from 1967 at the low low price of $950.

I have never seen one of these boats with a bracket instead of a well before, so it makes me a little suspicious, as well as the boom tent but, it might be worth a trip up to Muskegon.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/b...522261438.html
Old 17-04-2018, 12:28   #283

Boat: Valiant 40

Looks like the Hans Christian has been snapped up by an employee of the yard. If my posting generated a few calls then that may have pushed them to make a decision.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 16:46   #284

Boat: Bristol 27

Columbia 8.7 $4,000.00

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...562233185.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 19:03   #285

!!

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...544690704.html