Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 23:06   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Freedom Yachts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post
I bought a 1984 Freedom 32 in 2001 and sold her in 2016. The build by TPI was it’s strength. NEVER any issues. Sailed her on northern Lake Michigan. Had her out in all conditions and felt safe. Carbon fiber mast was never an issue. Sailed much better than my current Catalina 36.
And did the F30 feel arger than the Catalina 36? Everyone who's ever sailed with me walks away impressed with the boat. I've become convinced that the most negative opinions that one hears about them are from people who've never actually sailed on one. I do get it....they're not for everyone and they have some limitations, but overall, they're a fun and easy boat. I'd be super curious to hear from those who have sailed a Freedom and the reasons they didn't like it.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 04:34   #17

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

I'm considering a mid 90s Freedom 40/40. "On paper" she looks great. But since I have no experience with carbon masts, how does one survey one? I guess that same problem would occur if I were looking at a conventionally rigged sloop with a carbon mast e.g. J-42.

Thoughts/input? Thank you.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 08:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I'm considering a mid 90s Freedom 40/40. "On paper" she looks great. But since I have no experience with carbon masts, how does one survey one? I guess that same problem would occur if I were looking at a conventionally rigged sloop with a carbon mast e.g. J-42.

I suggest you ask this question on the Freedom Yachts forum. Maybe Dale will chime in and tell us why he sold his Freedom and the ways he prefers his new boat. I'm not aware of a good method to survey that wouldn't cost too much or would even be practicable. Perhaps the best thing is to get someone who has good CF knowledge and ask them about any cracks in the gelcoat you might see. I have some superficial cracks around the gooseneck, where a lot of the forces occur. Mine's also a fractional rig sloop and I've heard the top part breaking when people have added back stays or something else that restricts all mast movement. You don't want too much whip-lashing going on up there, but the mast is very bendy and it should be allowed to do its thing. I love watching how other boats will take hard knocks in a big gust and mine just settles back down after dumping a little wind off the top. So you might also need to fight the impulse to turn it into a typical rig. Good luck on the search!
Old 25-10-2018, 09:25   #19

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

The SA/D of the Catalina 36 is 14.97. End of story.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:05   #20
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Here's a pretty thorough article on the issues of cracking in Freedom masts. It's actually pretty reassuring.
FREEDOM YACHTS MAST CRACKING
CAUSES AND THE CURE
By
Eric W. Sponberg
Naval Architect
http://www.junkrigassociation.org/Re...Spondberg).pdf
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 12:00   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi, I'm a Freedom fan, cruised full time for 7 years on a Hoyt freedom 32.

I never found any wet spots in the hull except for aft cabin port hole, poor insulation. I cut into my hull a number of times for various reasons and it was always dry.

As Gamayun said the masts seemed over built, I trust that mast more than my current stayed mast. I'm a fan of the big main and self tacking jib, I also added a jib top reacher in a sock which filled abit of a gap.

I unfortunately can say I hit a rock hard at approx 4-5knots, it stopped the boat dead in the water, I was sure there must was going to be significant damage. The only damage was a dint in the lead keel, I lifted the boat and thoroughly checked it out. They are strong.

I sold due to wanting a larger boat, I could of easily purchased the right Freedom 45, I choose my current boat over a Freedom only due to it being newer, great condition and the right price at the right time, not better, just different. I'm pleasantly sailing her down the Mozambique coast as I type.

Freedoms aren't perfect, no boat is, but if you can find one in great condition I'm sure you'll be happy. They are getting old therefore many are most likely showing their age, but condition is important.

If I was smart I could have spent alot less money and purchased a neat Freedom 38 like Gamayun's, I just think they are a great all round cruising boat, I purchased bigger etc but really it's not nessacary.

I really like my current boat, but I definitely miss Freeform.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 23:17   #22

I heard the link I posted to the Freedom Rendezvous on Nov 10-11 in Oakland didn't work. Trying again but if it's still no good, just PM and I'll send details.

http://freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.p...12843&start=30
Old 25-10-2018, 23:24   #23

Awesome testimony, Dale, and good comments about keeping expectations in check with these 30+-year-old boats. You took Freeform all over, too, so a proven blue water vessel I can't wait to cruise full-time on Kynntana. It was perhaps a bit of good fortune that I lucked into my F38 knowing almost nothing about sailing and even less about what makes one boat different from another. Not having any preconceptions made picking an unstayed rig an easy choice!
Old 25-10-2018, 23:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
Here's a pretty thorough article on the issues of cracking in Freedom masts. It's actually pretty reassuring.
FREEDOM YACHTS MAST CRACKING
CAUSES AND THE CURE
By
Eric W. Sponberg
Naval Architect
http://www.junkrigassociation.org/Re...Spondberg).pdf
Great addition! I had forgotten about this. Eric Sponberg is a real font of knowledge about the CF spars. He was also very gracious with his time when I hunted him down with a bunch of questions before he and his wife left to cruise full-time following his retirement.

Tags
yacht