Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 18:26   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Freezer lid insulation pad

My freezer is built into my galley countertop. The lid is not super thick, and when it's humid there is an annoying amount of condensation buildup. I've seen boats where the owners have found or made some sort of insulating pad that lives on top of their fridge/freezer lids. Is there anything ready-made that would be good for this? or any material that would be ideal that I could cut down and maybe make a nice looking cover for? My current idea was to take an old yoga mat and cut 3 or 4 layers to the right size and then stuff in a fabric cover of some sort.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 19:08   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2017
Re: Freezer lid insulation pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
My freezer is built into my galley countertop. The lid is not super thick, and when it's humid there is an annoying amount of condensation buildup. I've seen boats where the owners have found or made some sort of insulating pad that lives on top of their fridge/freezer lids. Is there anything ready-made that would be good for this? or any material that would be ideal that I could cut down and maybe make a nice looking cover for? My current idea was to take an old yoga mat and cut 3 or 4 layers to the right size and then stuff in a fabric cover of some sort.
Hi M. If you could take a picture of the lid say half open and post here, it would be easier to make some suggestions. Also what is the lid lining material? And are the seals 100% effective?
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 19:20   #3

Boat: Columbia 50

I’ve been thinking along the same lines....

I think the simplest would be to get a panel of rigid foam insulation from Lowe’s or HD and cut to size - you can glue a cover to it - even mere Formica, if desired.

I think a flexible pad would be more convenient, however. Trouble is, you want something that will lay flat, like a rubber mat, but also some insulating qualities- perhaps closed- cell foam?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 19:28   #4

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I lined the inside, incl. the lid, with 1/4" foam insulation with vapor barriers on both sides, and also replaced the lid seals. Not a substitute for replacing the original insulation, but helped quite a bit with the "sweating" the OP mentions, as well as frost buildup on the plates and keeping the boxes (eutectic/holding plates) cold longer.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 19:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I’ve been thinking along the same lines....

I think the simplest would be to get a panel of rigid foam insulation from Lowe’s or HD and cut to size - you can glue a cover to it - even mere Formica, if desired.

I think a flexible pad would be more convenient, however. Trouble is, you want something that will lay flat, like a rubber mat, but also some insulating qualities- perhaps closed- cell foam?

Matt

Yeah, I think you'd want the insulation to sit pretty flush against the lid, probably a little larger, overlapping outwards a couple inches on each side. Something that is flat (as in not wavy), relatively heavy, but is flexible so you can get it out of the way to open the lid easily. That's why I was thinking of using an old yoga mat, but maybe I can find a thick exercise mat that is heavier/denser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I lined the inside, incl. the lid, with 1/4" foam insulation with vapor barriers on both sides, and also replaced the lid seals. Not a substitute for replacing the original insulation, but helped quite a bit with the "sweating" the OP mentions, as well as frost buildup on the plates and keeping the boxes (eutectic/holding plates) cold longer.
I don't really want to add material to the inside of the lid because it would reduce internal volume, and the seals seem pretty decent. I don't open the freezer that often, so I wouldn't mind a relatively permanent insulating mat on top.
Old 09-09-2021, 19:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeLouie View Post
Hi M. If you could take a picture of the lid say half open and post here, it would be easier to make some suggestions. Also what is the lid lining material? And are the seals 100% effective?
Thanks, but I'm not looking to modify or rebuild the existing lid. It seems to fit pretty well and the seals look like they work pretty well.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:52   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Our solution to this need was to repurpose a automobile windshield insulation pad. These are often near appropriate size, flexible, padded and foil covered. Some are pleated and easily fold out of the way.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:54   #8

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I bought thick neoprene sheets (like diving suit material)
I just lay it down over the food etc. then put on the lid
I Gotta admit I did not much rebuild as relined it with 1" of added foam on the walls when I replumbed the fridge unit.
My Frigabot unit keeps it all cold even in the Caribbean.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:56   #9

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Is the lid a complete top, or only partially (ours is perhaps 2/3 the total surface of the bottom in a fully rectangular box)?

If it's not a full-space lid is the condensation on the lid only? Asking due to insulation differences possible in lid vs top. If the top covers the entire space, but the lid only partially, it suggests that the insulation in the lid is less than the top...

That said, both reefer and freezer handles/catches have condensation in our setup, so I feel your pain...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:00   #10

Boat: Land Locked

The number one culprit I've seen personally is leaky seals. Check that yours are plump and or still flexible. Check the surface the seal against is it smooth and even without any cracks.

IMHO, it seems like layered yoga mats might work pretty well since they would be flexible and still have lots of of trapped air pockets for insulation. As they aren't particularly expensive I'd try it out!
ShawnMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:10   #11

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

I use a dish drying pad. Bought mine at walmart, but they are easy to find in many sizes. Granted it's not the very best insulation, but it helps. And was only a few dollars.
Jim
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:11   #12

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

Cut up a yoga mat. Quick, cheap and works. Layer it if necessary, acceptable to the eye.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:15   #13

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnMack View Post
The number one culprit I've seen personally is leaky seals. Check that yours are plump and or still flexible. Check the surface the seal against is it smooth and even without any cracks.!

(clippage)
I use a Home-Depot sold (other places, too, maybe?) soft 3/8" "e" shaped weatherstripping:

Pictures: Flying Pig 2013-2014 Shakedown/Refrigerator Gaskets/First

This entire subgallery contains these and the entire process of doing the gaskets:

Pictures: Flying Pig 2013-2014 Shakedown/Refrigerator Gaskets
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:15   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

I use a couple of frozen food bags - the kind you can buy in supermarkets to bring your frozen food home.
I wrap them around and over the contents of the freezer to keep the cold confined to the area where it is needed. Reduces heat infiltration and keeps the frozen food frozen.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:52   #15

Boat: Hunter 30

I use plastic bags filled with packing peanuts. We use the bags to fill all the empty spaces.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, insulation