Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 05:30   #1

From cruising to club racing - weight loss

Two weeks ago my boat arrived home in Melbourne after 6 years of mostly solo cruising in Greece and a couple of long live aboard seasons. For now her cruising days are mostly over and she is being lightened to become a club racer and weekend family getaway.

So many of the lockers have been emptied, dingy, outboard, life raft (unnecessary for Port Phillip Bay), dive gear and so much more.

The total weight loss is now at 500kg and I still have the solar arch and 100m of chain to remove (replace with 20m + rope rode) and I need to trim my tool kit and spares.

It's amazing how much crap you accumulate onboard and yet she will be no less comfortable than before. The waterline has changed greatly in this process
Old 14-03-2017, 06:50   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: From cruising to club racing - weight loss

I would hope your waterline would adjust to losing 500kg. Your anchor chain will be another 500kg. Fortress anchor too? Sounds good. New sails would be lighter. We have a cruising/delivery main that weighs about 3x what our racing main does - without counting the battens. The question remains, however: how do you race in a Sun Odyssey?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:57   #3

Re: From cruising to club racing - weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
I would hope your waterline would adjust to losing 500kg. Your anchor chain will be another 500kg. Fortress anchor too? Sounds good. New sails would be lighter. We have a cruising/delivery main that weighs about 3x what our racing main does - without counting the battens. The question remains, however: how do you race in a Sun Odyssey?
The chain is 8mm and weighs 1.4kg/m so it's "only" 140kg plus 20kg for the rocna. For now I'll be happy to loose 100kg from the bow and maybe I'll leave the Rocna on the dock and use the Danforth as my race anchor.

Race sails are on the "to get" list.

As to "how do you race in a Sun Odyssey?", I'll be racing in comfort and after the race I'll be sipping on an Oban whiskey which I have left onboard

Tags
cruising, racing