Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2009, 20:22   #1

Ft. Lauderdale to Palatka, FL

Decided on a boat, a Tartan 27, with a diesel. Now I must move her from Ft.Lauderdale to Palatka on the St.John's river for some work. Any idea of what the trip would cost if I have to pay for delivery? And is there any decent sailing in that part of the river when its done?

Thanks for any advice.
diogenes726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 20:34   #2

What work is needed? That's a long trip for a 27 footer.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:07   #3

Interior, mostly. Engine runs well.
Old 25-07-2009, 04:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
With seven to ten easy ICW days of travel, all in protected water with good anchorage locations, you can make it a casual trip since the engine runs well. With a boat this size, the increased cruising options of having a trailer can be a plus. Would this be the time to purchase the trailer so you have it for the future? Many 27' sailboats are trailerable,- is this one? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 05:49   #5

The sailing on that part of the river isn't too bad. Not as good as it is further up around Green Cove Springs, but I like it. I keep my boat (30 foot) in Palatka.
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 08:35   #6

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I live in Green Cove Springs on my boat and love sailing this part of the river, my mast is 48' so i am unable to go anymore south.

How tall is your rig? the Shans i believe is 43'

I can tell you that it took me 14 hours to sail the outside from St. Aug to green cove sailing a 27'er so i would say over 7 day trip.

Are you able to sail the boat?

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 08:46   #7

Looks like I need to haul and ship. Strong enough engine, but mainsail needs repair. I'd rather get everything sorted out near my home port than have an adventure on my first trip.
Thanks!
Old 25-07-2009, 10:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn’t count on much sailing on the St Johns River, although Lake George should offer some* opportunity (* it’s only about 10 miles long). I wouldn't worry about needing sail repairs - they'll stay furled/flaked, and your mast will only be a very good VHF antenna extension.

The River flows North, so you'd be be getting a little lift from the (very "lazy") current.

You might be interested to see “Boating on Florida Waterways”
Miami to Jacksonville:
boating on florida waterways-destinations north from miami to jacksonville

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 14:26   #9

I sail on the St. Johns about twice a month...wind can be a bit spotty at Palatka, but it is not as bad as some previous posts suggest. Seems like the only sure time the wind is dead is on the day of the Mug Race from Palatka to Jacksonville. The river is significantly wider at Green Cove Springs, such that the wind is more constant and stronger. Of course, docking fees are also higher at Green Cove than at Palatka. Summers are not the best time for sailing, but I 've had a lot of fun all year.
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 08:18   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Considering the cost of shipping, it might be wiser to take the main in, have it repaired (which, unless its totally worthless, will likely be less than the haul and launch alone) and then make the trip on the yacht's own bottom. Going outside, with the stream in one's favor, one could easily make daily runs between the favorable inlets--Ft. Lauderdale, Lake Worth, St. Lucie, Cape Cannaveral, etc. without difficulty. Frankly, I have made the trip on the inside and the traffic and bridges make the ICW a non-starter for me but outside should be pretty doable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 10:59   #11

I agree with Gord, You are a motorboat for this trip. Could be a fun trip, just relax. By the end of the trip you will be more intimately familiar with your boat and have a much better idea what you want done to the interior rather than trying to think it through from the desk!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 11:47   #12

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Have you desided on how to get the boat home?
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 13:23   #13

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
My boat is in Orange Park, on the St. Johns River next to Jax and I've been sailing this river for about 13 years now, many times from Jacksonville to Palatka.This time of year, not so much wind, except in the thunderstorms. Shands bridge has 45' clearance. Top of my antenna is 44' and it has never touched. I'm glad Gord thinks we have no wind, we like keeping this great, protected sailing area a secret. If you have the time, I think it would be a great trip, though a little steamy right now. Have you looked for a used sail? Pick up a free Florida Mariner and a free Southwinds at West Marine, several Florida used sails dealers in there.

Steve W.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 18:28   #14

agreed i alway enoyed the evening mug races on wed or a nice sail to down town for dinner..
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34   #15

Well, I did sail (motor) the boat up the ICW from Pompano Beach to Titusville in 4 days. Very glad to have done it- got to know the boat a little and the sights were great. This weekend I'll continue up to St. Augustine. Thinking of staying at the Anchorage near the Bridge of Lions.