Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 08:07   #1

Boat: Grampian 26
Full Service Marinas on the Trent Severn Waterway

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place.

I sail a Grampian 26 sailboat. I've decided to do the Trent-Severn this year. The mast is replaced with a short weather station VHF radio tower (8 ft).

I don't plan on rushing so I will not be returning to home port this year. Instead, I'm looking for a marina along the way that can haul me out and store the boat for the winter so we can continue exploring next year.

If the marina was somewhere at the halfway mark or closer that would be great but it would have to be below Lake Simcoe and have access to public transport.

Any ideas?
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 08:32   #2

Re: Full Service Marinas on the Trent Severn Waterway

The PORTS Guide?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 08:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Lots have lifts. Bottom of the lake is a long way so unless you’re going down the Trent don’t bother. Hot Knots can lift you no worries. Maybe put you in an open Narrows Slip.
severn Boat Haven. They are charming folks rescued lots of boats.

Blue Beacon Marine avoid.
There are several places in Lagoon City to winter. It’s the awkward side of the lake for transportation.
Barrie City Marina is a gravel pit but access to Barrie vs Orillia or Little Lake.
So highway 11 access or Highway 69 access all lead to 400 and toronto. On the highways they are 25 minutes apart on the water 8 hours moving
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 08:46   #4

Boat: Grampian 26

Thanks, Rumrace, These are the things I don't read in Ports (a book I have and follow). Anyone else?
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 08:54   #5

The Halfway point or high point is Balsam Lake the Rosedale Lock. It’s bear country and no easy access to anything.
Peterborough is about it. Lakefield or Buckhorn are great little rural towns no travel lifts.
Depends on your intentions. If you are American and wish to work you can get a work visa in an hour no worries. Lake Simcoe or Lake Couchaching or Little Lake at lock 45 are your best bet. Most of the Trent is in wilderness and Severn solid cottage country.
Orillia is the friendliest port by far but you won’t find a bad one.
Old 14-06-2022, 09:24   #6

I know the system inside out grew up on it. I moved to Lake Ontario but always excited to babble about the Trent Severn. The folks you meet are so easy to be around. The Rideau Canal is no slouch either.
Never ever leave food in your cockpit at night.
I sat on a flybridge having a night cap with two pals at the Rosedale Lock wall on Rosedale island. Two black bear tore off the canvas off a new boaters pocket cruiser. The swim platform was well under. The occupants were in the cabin screaming until we talked them into being quiet. The bears left.
North of Simcoe is Massassaga Rattler country. Lots around Little Lake, gloucester POol and the marine railway. The roses around the railway are a wild species. Have lunch on the upside.
A washroom key in Orillia town docks is $5.00. You keep it. Great clean showers.
Laundry and groceries turn right , liquor straight ahead.
If you are heading to the bay eventually Beausoleil Island Cedar Springs on the chart. Keen eye for the bumblebee marker then out to the red at south end of island.

Tags
marinas, service, water