Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 03:15   #31

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Gender parity in sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I motored down the ICW and maybe 1 boat in 100 had the female at the wheel.

Stupid.
What? Stupid to have the woman at the wheel?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Cherp, I think Mark J is referring to that only 1 boat in 100 had a female at the helm being stupid, not the one woman. At least that is what I hope is meant.

From what I have observed, it seems that more men in a sailing relationship were raised on sailing, and the female hadn't been around sailing nearly as much. My own personal experience as a female has been that since my fiance and I didn't grow up near sailing, we have the exact same amount of experience, which has us sharing nearly all the duties. I personally haven't gotten to pull an anchor up, but I definitely want to. For us, we both want to be equally capable of doing all the necessary duties, for reasons that have been mentioned on here earlier, safety mostly.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:27   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Of course there are women who sail. And in almost every case are just as proficient as men.
It's just that there a far fewer women participating. That is the case with numerous other sports. Mountain climbing, hang gliding, sky diving, race car driving are some other examples that come to mind.
And it isn't because women are not capable of performing these activities as well as any man could. Could it be that women, being much smarter than men, have a genetic disposition to avoid dangerous and life threatening activities.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:33   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gender parity in sailing

Love to know how many men have climbed the mast of their 70ftr in the Southern Ocean while solo...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:38   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Of course there are women who sail. And in almost every case are just as proficient as men.
It's just that there a far fewer women participating. That is the case with numerous other sports. Mountain climbing, hang gliding, sky diving, race car driving are some other examples that come to mind.
And it isn't because women are not capable of performing these activities as well as any man could. Could it be that women, being much smarter than men, have a genetic disposition to avoid dangerous and life threatening activities.
That is funny, lol. But as much as I want to believe woman are smarter, unfortunately I don't think it so. I personally believe media and society play a role in this. I think over the last century women have made huge accomplishments, but are still slightly held down even today (at least in Western societies). I believe many women are discouraged from partaking in these things. I have thought to myself several times "why bother, they'll turn me down anyways because I am female." I wouldn't be sailing if I had never met my fiance, but he wouldn't be sailing either. We pushed each other. But I certainly would love to partake in almost all of those dangerous activities you mentioned!
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:40   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

women are sooo smart they can get a chikkinshit man to climb the 70 footers mast in middle of southern ocean. get real, boys.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
women are sooo smart they can get a chikkinshit man to climb the 70 footers mast in middle of southern ocean. get real, boys.
Sorry Zee... but going into the middle of the Southern Ocean with a Chickenshit man doesn't sound very smart to me at all.
It would have been much smarter to go there with a Sailorman rather than a Chickenshit!
Part of being smart is making good choices with whom you become friends and companions. Choosing a Chickenshit is..., well, I think you get the idea.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:47   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

haaay--- boatie started it......

"Love to know how many men have climbed the mast of their 70ftr in the Southern Ocean while solo..."
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:51   #39

PS; Anyone who will go up a 70' mast in the Southern Ocean couldn't possibly be called Chickenshit and that person has my respect.
Crazy, Fearless, Foolhardy, perhaps. But Chickenshit? I think not.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:00   #40

Boat: Ohlson 29

I have a pretty good idea why a lot of women who are part of a couple don't usually do the boat handling
But since most forum members are the male half of a couple, or single men, I think it's probably best for me if I don't elaborate, hahaha!

What I don't know is why so few women buy their own boats. That remains a mystery to me, to be honest, and I really, really wish there were more. Many more. Even if just because it would make my life so much easier
Old 07-03-2016, 10:07   #41

Boat: Outremer 50S

I couldn't resist posting the ad I got during the posts about climbing a 70' mast in the southern ocean:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	161
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	120183

On our boat, which has no windlass, it generally falls to the men to handle the foredeck chores during anchoring, while the ladies handle the helm. Not always, but that is the general trend. During docking it depends on the scenario, none of the ladies are (yet) as comfortable in tight quarters with a cross wind/current. Practice is the only way, so where we can find a more open dock with those conditions we do a little practice. I suspect it will be a while before they are comfortable Med-mooring with a gold-plater on either side, but no reason we can't get there.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:11   #42

Women are smart. Who wants to stay at the helm on the ICW? "Honey, I'd better go down and explore what's for lunch/dinner"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
What I don't know is why so few women buy their own boats. That remains a mystery to me, to be honest, and I really, really wish there were more. Many more. Even if just because it would make my life so much easier
Actually, my wife owns the boat. She owns everything. Just ask her. She's the Admiral. I'm just the Boatboy. Being the Boatboy does have certain advantages so I'm not complaining.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:35   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gender parity in sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
haaay--- boatie started it......

"Love to know how many men have climbed the mast of their 70ftr in the Southern Ocean while solo..."
There were no men there Zee.. she was on her own breaking records. and she's no Hulk.. 5ft 6" is all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Ellen-McArthur_(1).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	120185  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:01   #45

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Daughter is 7 years old. Born in the "girls can do anything" era and she has virtually no concept of gender limitation. I apply this to parenting (actually I rarely mention gender, I just tell her that YOU can do anything).

Before her 2nd birthday, I was having her take the controls of airplanes, steering the motorboat, the car (off-road), and more recently I offer her the rowing position of the dinghy and the helm of Panope anytime.

She is very smart, requires (prefers) almost no instruction, and can immediately figure out what needs to be done. But.............

She does not WANT do do any of it. There has never been any bad experiences. I do not force her to do anything. I give her the opportunities and she just shrugs and says "no thank you".

When I was her age, true bliss occurred only when I was driving something. I used to beg my father to let me "drive the car" (sitting on is lap). He is not a flyer but I would have given ANYTHING to get my hands on the controls of a plane.

I believe there is basic part of our "wiring" that tends to have the boys enjoy driving/operating mechanical stuff more than girls do.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing