Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 06:12   #1

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig
General electrical problem

Hi all, just bought a new (used) trimaran. Question for you please:

My house battery ( only one, 12V AGM) gets completely drained overnight even if all breakers on panel are off. Only exception is when main power switch is also off, i.e. if it is left in «*on*» position, but all panel breakers are off, the battery goes dead!

I checked basic connections:
Outboard 10HP electric start with alternator, solar panel charge controller to battery, and that seems all good.

I suppose the problem is in the breaker panel?

Any ideas how or where I should look for the power drain culprit?

Thx, Pierre J
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:26   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: General electrical problem

I would look for something that doesn't get powered from the DC panel with a breaker, like a bilge pump with a stuck float running all night.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:30   #3
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Maybe start by looking for wires that are attached directly to the battery + terminal? iv'e also seen wires stacked on the back of the 1 and 2 studs of a 1-2-B selector switch. I think any of these would/could be a direct drain on the battery and that bypass the panel breakers.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:12   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Something that is wired ex panel.

Or the panel.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:14   #5

One battery? Could it be dead?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjazz View Post
Only exception is when main power switch is also off, i.e. if it is left in «*on*» position, but all panel breakers are off, the battery goes dead!
To clarify this is the Battery Switch? Not the Main Breaker (Frequently a 30 amp double-breaker) on the panel?

Anything connected directly to the battery terminals wouldn't be isolated by the battery switch. I would look at whatever is wired directly to the positive side of the battery switch.

It might help to start at the positive battery terminal and follow the flow from there to the battery switch to the panel.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 13:57   #7

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

If the “main” switch stops the drain, the leak must be downstream from the switch. Check what cables/wires are connected to the downstream terminal on the main switch.

If necessary, undo the terminal and a spark will result from the wire that has the leak. Follow the wire to its logical conclusion.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 17:12   #8

could be short that is not enough to trip a breaker does not sound safe. use an amp meter to see how big a load it is.
dmdelorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 05:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
If the “main” switch stops the drain, the leak must be downstream from the switch. Check what cables/wires are connected to the downstream terminal on the main switch.

If necessary, undo the terminal and a spark will result from the wire that has the leak. Follow the wire to its logical conclusion.
Agree. I would go one step farther. Buy a multimeter, they don't cost much and are useful. I use a multimeter to check what is draining.

I am NOT an electrician so will likely get corrected on this but what I do is is first charge the battery all they way. Then disconnect the negative lead on the battery. Connect the red from the multimeter to the negative battery wire and the black from the mm to the negative battery post (this way it is connected in series, and less risky than connecting on the positive side). Set the mm on like 20 amps and it should show 0. If it doesn’t you have a parasitic drain. Then start disconnecting stuff, and turning stuff on, and check what’s drawing the most amps. Logically it is probably the bilge pump or something else attached directly to the battery post like a charge meter but it could be a something else or a previous owner wiring experiment. Multi meter can help you narrow it down.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 13:43   #10

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneshark64 View Post
Agree. I would go one step farther. Buy a multimeter, they don't cost much and are useful. I use a multimeter to check what is draining.

I am NOT an electrician so will likely get corrected on this but what I do is is first charge the battery all they way. Then disconnect the negative lead on the battery. Connect the red from the multimeter to the negative battery wire and the black from the mm to the negative battery post (this way it is connected in series, and less risky than connecting on the positive side). Set the mm on like 20 amps and it should show 0. If it doesn’t you have a parasitic drain. Then start disconnecting stuff, and turning stuff on, and check what’s drawing the most amps. Logically it is probably the bilge pump or something else attached directly to the battery post like a charge meter but it could be a something else or a previous owner wiring experiment. Multi meter can help you narrow it down.
Be aware that most multimeters used by non-professionals have a limit if 10A when testing as described above. More than that and you may see some smoke
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 15:18   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

The 10 amp limit is very common for in-line current measurement. But I’ve never seen a meter "smoke" from too many amps. There’s (almost) always an internal fast-blow fuse in the meter. Of course, you might have to take the meter apart and unsolder the fuse to replace it, if you can find a replacement that fits.

When you get to the point that you know enough electronics to know when, where and how to measure current, you’d be better off buying a clamp-type ammeter. You don’t need great accuracy, so they’re relatively cheap($50-75).
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 06:00   #12

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Good morning.. first thing I would check is the battery itself. It might not be able to hold a charge. Pull the battery, bring it to pep boys and have it load tested.
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical