Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2021, 22:56   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Getting a mast on a boat WITHOUT a real crane

Chotu,

Was just thinking....
If your mast is 60' long, plus the the mast location is another 8' above the water....that puts you at 68'...not including any lights, antenna's, etc...

The bridges on the ICW have a 65' clearance, with the exception of the Julia Tuttle Bridge in Miami which has 56'...

Not sure where you are located, but trust you have considered this.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 00:35   #77

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Chotu,

Was just thinking....
If your mast is 60' long, plus the the mast location is another 8' above the water....that puts you at 68'...not including any lights, antenna's, etc...

The bridges on the ICW have a 65' clearance, with the exception of the Julia Tuttle Bridge in Miami which has 56'...

Not sure where you are located, but trust you have considered this.
I guess the mast is actually 64 and I’m putting a 6ft extension on it. I’ve been away from the boat a while.

This is an outside boat, unfortunately. I’d still love to do a tabernacle type thing but I need to get this boat done at this point.

My plan for any bridges I need to get under is to get the mast pulled. So if I want to motor the ICW, I’ll pop off the mast for the whole trip and do it fast. Sane if I want to go far inland.

Sucks, but I don’t want to be underpowered.

PS: I think these numbers are correct, but I’m a little foggy on it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 04:40   #78
Marine Service Provider

that is a bit beyond my pay scale.....the mast height on the Bennie is only about 55' above the water...
Old 29-10-2021, 05:14   #79

Quote:
that is a bit beyond my pay scale.....the mast height on the Bennie is only about 55' above the water...
Payscale, nothing. Ha ha. The mast was $6000 including boom, stays (which I’m replacing), some winches, mainsail, jib furler, jib and a traveler I’m replacing because everyone here convinced me it was too short to be useful.

I do also have to do the 6ft extension. I’m hoping I can just roll up some sheet aluminum to the correct profile to do the extension. It’s at the base of the mast, so it’s not in a bendy area. Just needs to support the in column pressure for the most part.
Old 29-10-2021, 05:18   #80

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I guess the mast is actually 64 and I’m putting a 6ft extension on it. I’ve been away from the boat a while.

This is an outside boat, unfortunately. I’d still love to do a tabernacle type thing but I need to get this boat done at this point.

My plan for any bridges I need to get under is to get the mast pulled. So if I want to motor the ICW, I’ll pop off the mast for the whole trip and do it fast. Sane if I want to go far inland.

Sucks, but I don’t want to be underpowered.

PS: I think these numbers are correct, but I’m a little foggy on it.

A full tabernacle is probably tough with a mast that big, but I'd talk to some riggers about hinging, say, the top 10 feet (post-extension). If it's a fractional rig, maybe hinge just above the forestay. That would give you a section that's easier to drop and gives you ICW clearance easily enough. Save the big mast drops for going further inland.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:20   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A full tabernacle is probably tough with a mast that big, but I'd talk to some riggers about hinging, say, the top 10 feet (post-extension). If it's a fractional rig, maybe hinge just above the forestay. That would give you a section that's easier to drop and gives you ICW clearance easily enough. Save the big mast drops for going further inland.
You are a genius! That’s a great idea to look into. I’ll check it out.
Old 29-10-2021, 07:42   #82
Marine Service Provider

Chotu,
I've told you on a number of occasions, that I am a retired structural marine engineer.
The compression loads on the mast, and tension loads on the rigging can be significant, especially so on a 50' cat, even when at rest. You will also have wiring inside the mast, and perhaps halyards as well..
Having a hinged connection, 10' from the top of your mast, with only, presumably, a backstay running to the top of the mast, or perhaps some runners, in addition to shrouds, while it sounds like a grand idea, will likely be unworkable for a number of reasons.
How will the main get hoisted beyond the hinge point ?
I will be interested to hear the results of your conversation with any rigger, but I'm pretty confident, I know what their answer will be..
Old 29-10-2021, 07:56   #83

Quote:
Chotu,
I've told you on a number of occasions, that I am a retired structural marine engineer.
The compression loads on the mast, and tension loads on the rigging can be significant, especially so on a 50' cat, even when at rest. You will also have wiring inside the mast, and perhaps halyards as well..
Having a hinged connection, 10' from the top of your mast, with only, presumably, a backstay running to the top of the mast, or perhaps some runners, in addition to shrouds, while it sounds like a grand idea, will likely be unworkable for a number of reasons.
How will the main get hoisted beyond the hinge point ?
I will be interested to hear the results of your conversation with any rigger, but I'm pretty confident, I know what their answer will be..
I’m sure you’re right. I was trying to picture how you’d raise and lower a top pivot like that too. Rslifkin is still a great thinker and has come up with a lot of winners, even if this one doesn’t pan out. You are too. I remember my thread on the roof support columns and davits. You both added a lot to that project. They are installed and doing well.

I look forward to your participation in the rest of the threads on the rigging. It’s going to be all DIY I think. I need to get some chainplates, install them, change the length of the spreaders a little bit (because I’m raising the mast 6ft at the bottom), get a bow tube/beam installed and ready for the forestay load, work out the angles and lengths for the new shrouds and forestay (there is no backstay). Then run all the controls to my “sail control table.”
Old 29-10-2021, 07:57   #84

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Getting a mast on a boat WITHOUT a real crane

Perhaps something like a sliding Gunter rig could be devised? I have never seen anything like it on a cat but perhaps…
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 08:05   #85
Marine Service Provider

Sure, Chotu, bring it on, lets get that Cat rigged....I wanna go a for ride !!!!
Be glad to throw my 2c in wherever I see you going left instead of right.

I had a coastal ride on a 50' tri once, that was a very interesting experience. No question, your boat will likely have a good turn of speed.
Old 29-10-2021, 08:22   #86
Marine Service Provider

Just for grins....I dug up my old mast transport pic...I didn't use this mast on my boat, but hauled it for someone else.

I gotta tell you, building my boat was probably the best three years of life. I accomplished much, with very little.

Seeing you go thru' similar experiences is a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	247539  
Old 29-10-2021, 10:29   #87

Quote:
Just for grins....I dug up my old mast transport pic...I didn't use this mast on my boat, but hauled it for someone else.

I gotta tell you, building my boat was probably the best three years of life. I accomplished much, with very little.

Seeing you go thru' similar experiences is a blast.
Nice!!! Looks just like my mast right now. It’s sitting on a similar trailer I drove it back with.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the build!
Old 29-10-2021, 11:02   #88

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Naval architect and marine engineer here. I agree with MicHughV. Just not a good idea. Hinging at the base of the mast (assuming deck stepped) is much more achievable. I know of a 60+' ketch that has hinged the main mast to fit under bridges on the ICW. It's a painful process that takes many hours but does not require any outside support.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 11:51   #89
Marine Service Provider

Auspicious, yes, I can see that as a more workable idea. The mast shoe can be fabricated as a hinge, but the two hinge plates should lay flush with each other, so that all mast compression is uniform, and the lower hinge plate is flush with the deck/mast support.. ...The logical placement of the actual hinge should be on the aft side of the two plates, so that the mast can be rotated backwards. A fab shop can probably come up with something made from s/s.
Were it me, I'd also contrive to have a spinnaker pole or some other long pole made to fit on the front side of the base, to be used as a " lever arm" as the mast rotates backwards. This way a halyard can be led to the end of the pole and fixed there, and an anchor line or other lines also led to this location and then to a winch. The shrouds should be able to keep the mast centered.
I'd have to do some math to figure out how much the masts needs to rotate to clear a bridge, but all in all, some possibilities here.
Old 29-10-2021, 13:00   #90

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Auspicious, yes, I can see that as a more workable idea.
We are on the edge of a lovefest here. *grin* Fully agree. So two professional opinions from people who don't know each other who are on the same page.

The only thing more useful is two professionals who don't agree who engage in a civil discussion to figure out how their underlying assumptions differ.

TL;DR: Don't hinge the top of the mast.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mast