Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2022, 05:26   #1

Boat: TBC
Getting a new boat chartered / sailed back?

Are there any good services or freelance for what of a better word, sailors, people, companies who can get a new boat back from outside of the UK?
I have found a boat in Spain, but want to get it back to the UK, get it moored up and then go away for winter and focus on sailing courses and getting out with other people on marinas.

I would imagine it is fairly simple?

Also any ideas on pricing if this does exist?
mrk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 13:46   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Getting a new boat chartered / sailed back?

They're called Yacht Delivery Services. Try a Google search.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 14:54   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Another approach - given you’re in the UK - is to contact your local RYA training centre.
They usually have a number of commercial Yachtmasters hanging around that can do this (for a fee of course).
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 15:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are a few CF members who are also delivery skippers. Boatman61 is one of them. Use the CF Custom Google Search, (under, the 5th or 6th in the search menu at the top of the page).

Someone at the nearest sailing club may also know of one.

Fwiw, people almost always underestimate the assorted problems a person will encounter when he/she comes to the boat to move it, ranging from contaminated water tanks, to impellers failing, and sometimes even rigging failures or engine failures. So not be surprised if you find that something you think they should do for the sheer pleasure of it is expensive. Part of what you pay for is their confidence and experience with solving problems at sea with whatever is on hand. You will be expected to pay for whatever they say the boat needs before leaving. Then they're on their own. They may insist that you insure the voyage, even when you carry insurance on the boat already.

Ann
Old 27-08-2022, 15:26   #5

Boat: EDELCAT33

If this is your first boat, I would ask in Spain at the marina to put you in contact with an experienced sailor/cruiser to help you determine how ready the boat is for a cross to UK. The list of minimal repairs or services will determine how to transport this vessel
Be ready for many of these captains to provide you a list to do before they sign a contract.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 00:26   #6

Boat: TBC

All good answers yes.

@JPACATE - Yes I am a photographer, similar to sailing in that we love the challenge of working with nature - namely light and unpredictable people/weather most of the times. And You'd be surprised how many kitchen companies who sell kitchens for £50,000 think I and just desperate to shoot for 'exposure'.

Anyway some good advice here, I will follow up on!

Definitely keen to know if there are any experienced yachtmasters on here who may be up for the journey, paid trips and voyage of course.

I myself would be allowed to go wouldn't I?
mrk123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter, new boat, sail