Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 16:41   #16

Re: Getting boat stuff from NA to boat in Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Just how much stuff do you have?
Have you done a bit of a triage on it?
How much can wait until the following year?
What can be replaced cheaply in Sweden?

I would get the best flight deal with the best baggage allowance and max it out - even buying extra.
Doubt there would be issues with customs with what is 'used personal effects'.
If you use a freight forwarder you could well get into trouble in that regard.

Buy cheap 'suitcases' that you don't mind abandoning.

I'm thrice blessed at the moment - current baggage allowance across the Pacific is 3 pieces x 32kg each ( that's per passo) but I am scratching to muster 20kg in total.

Sorry - didn't mean to cause baggage envy - my bad.

Re disposable suitcases I once took 25kg x 14mm cordage - I forget the length involved - in an old suitcase that had gone at the seams and was more duct tape than case and even then I ran it throught the clingfilm machine at the airport to make sure it survived.
These suggestions are exactly what we are weighing up along with what Steve C has suggested. I’m sure a trip to the local IKEA will solve a lot but simply hate buying more stuff even if it makes economic sense.

We have 1 trip planed during the build and guessing we will load up as many bags that seem practical. Will do the same when we pick it up. Likely one of the best options.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 16:47   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
I think your comment is directed to Steve C. But specific to us, the state we live in has no sales/VAT. This makes purchases of stuff favorable to purchasing here and shipping. But for the most part we are simply trying to understand the best way to ship a bunch of boat and personal related items we have acquired and owed for years.

Yes but you will pay both customs duties clearance fees and VAT on those imports.
Old 12-12-2021, 16:53   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Pretty exited other than the thought of being in La Rochelle in January Brrrrr....

We will hopefully spend next year in the Med probably heading out late fall for a crossing.

The motor is marked "Yacht in Transit" for personal use. It is also being shipped to my dealer with any Taxes or duties due from the recipient and so the VAT responsibility is falling to them. Hopefully they can show it as part of the boat deal and VAT will not be due like most of my other boat equipment. They are not yet sure what will happen next week when it is due to arrive. If they do have to pay it its not horrible on that amount and If I keep the receipt my understanding is that I can file to have it returned when I leave the EU. Time will tell.

As far my other personal belongings, my understanding is that since they are personal items and not for re-sale or professional use then no VAT will be due. I will be sending a fair amount of stuff over in about a month so I'll try to remember to post an update.

Within the EU for non commercial vessels there is no such concession as “yacht in transit “

There is also no concession to bring in “ personal items” free of VAT

If you ship the engine to the dealer he will most certainly get charged duty clearance fees and vat.

However of hes supplying the boat VaT free , he can include the engine in that calculation and any other items that shipped to him.

Again if you are not exporting the items with 30 days the dealer will have to charge you vat.
Old 12-12-2021, 17:40   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
These suggestions are exactly what we are weighing up along with what Steve C has suggested. I’m sure a trip to the local IKEA will solve a lot but simply hate buying more stuff even if it makes economic sense.

We have 1 trip planed during the build and guessing we will load up as many bags that seem practical. Will do the same when we pick it up. Likely one of the best options.
And then there is the 'Russian Doll' bit.

Have not quite so big bags that will fit into your bigger bags for the trip back to North America.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Sweden