Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2021, 14:35   #1

Getting boat stuff from NA to boat in Sweden.

We are trying to understand our options for getting all our existing Sailing cruising paraphernalia to our new boat. We live in the US PNW - new boat will be in Sweden.

We have half a lifetime of accumulated sailing items we need to get to the new boat. Tools, galley items, line, small electronics, clothings, safety gear, toys, etc. I have seen similar threads but they seem relevant to getting one or two items to a remote island kinda places.

Not even sure where to start - load in boxes and take with us on the plane, international shipping companies?

Thoughts?
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:46   #2

Boat: L42
Re: Getting boat stuff from NA to boat in Sweden.

I am going thru this right now. I am literally just a few weeks away from shipping all of my stuff to France from Texas. Just 4 days ago I purchased an outboard for the dinghy in Florida and shipped it to France because I was unable to find what I wanted in France before mid-year 2022. Even with shipping it still ends up being slightly cheaper as well.

By far, the best rates I have found are:
https://www.shipnex.com/express-shipping-rates.aspx

I don't know what your time frame is but I can report back soon how it works out.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
I am going thru this right now. I am literally just a few weeks away from shipping all of my stuff to France from Texas. Just 4 days ago I purchased an outboard for the dinghy in Florida and shipped it to France because I was unable to find what I wanted in France before mid-year 2022. Even with shipping it still ends up being slightly cheaper as well.

By far, the best rates I have found are:
https://www.shipnex.com/express-shipping-rates.aspx

I don't know what your time frame is but I can report back soon how it works out.
Just went to your web site you must be excited to get to your boat😁. Are you bringing her back on her bottom?.

I am curious how or if you have to deal with tariffs/VAT ?particularly on new items like the new motor.

Great first world problems. Thanks for your insights and yes if you learn any during the would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards. V2
Old 12-12-2021, 08:43   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

You can use a Carnet for stuff going into a country and leaving.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You can use a Carnet for stuff going into a country and leaving.
Thxs - I just learned something -it is interesting and may be useful. Not sure time limits will work for us as boat may remain in Baltic for a couple years.

https://www.trade.gov/ata-carnet
Old 12-12-2021, 11:08   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
Thxs - I just learned something -it is interesting and may be useful. Not sure time limits will work for us as boat may remain in Baltic for a couple years.

That would rule out a carnet. They’re usually a year, though some countries like Thailand don’t like to exceed six months.

Moving to a different country there are tax exemptions for personal goods. Your case I’m stumped. Might talk to (and contract with) an exim broker like Mohawk Global (I name them because they know what they’re doing, not all do. Don’t listen to UPS or DHL).
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:32   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Not really doesn’t apply to vat in relation to that times scales

You will run the risk of being accessed for vat. Be prepared for that.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:36   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
That would rule out a carnet. They’re usually a year, though some countries like Thailand don’t like to exceed six months.

Moving to a different country there are tax exemptions for personal goods. Your case I’m stumped. Might talk to (and contract with) an exim broker like Mohawk Global (I name them because they know what they’re doing, not all do. Don’t listen to UPS or DHL).

TOR rules ( Transfer of residence ) in the EU require proof that you are actually transferring residence. A boat will not be acceptable unless you can show it’s your domicile and you are cutting ties with your original country.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:38   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Just went to your web site you must be excited to get to your boat[emoji16]. Are you bringing her back on her bottom?.

I am curious how or if you have to deal with tariffs/VAT ?particularly on new items like the new motor.

Great first world problems. Thanks for your insights and yes if you learn any during the would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Kind regards. V2

Given you can buy every outboard under the sun in France. What couldn’t you find.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
TOR rules ( Transfer of residence ) in the EU require proof that you are actually transferring residence. A boat will not be acceptable unless you can show it’s your domicile and you are cutting ties with your original country.
Yeah it’s a bit complicated. Plan is to spend 90 to 180 days in Sweden Norway. Leave boat for winter, go back to work in states and return following summer. All very doable. Not transferring residence although there are times I would love to be a Swedish citizen 😁.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:58   #11

Quote:
Given you can buy every outboard under the sun in France. What couldn’t you find.
I think your comment is directed to Steve C. But specific to us, the state we live in has no sales/VAT. This makes purchases of stuff favorable to purchasing here and shipping. But for the most part we are simply trying to understand the best way to ship a bunch of boat and personal related items we have acquired and owed for years.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:21   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Seven Marine 627
and 2-stroke new motor,is little hard to buy
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:23   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Just how much stuff do you have?
Have you done a bit of a triage on it?
How much can wait until the following year?
What can be replaced cheaply in Sweden?

I would get the best flight deal with the best baggage allowance and max it out - even buying extra.
Doubt there would be issues with customs with what is 'used personal effects'.
If you use a freight forwarder you could well get into trouble in that regard.

Buy cheap 'suitcases' that you don't mind abandoning.

I'm thrice blessed at the moment - current baggage allowance across the Pacific is 3 pieces x 32kg each ( that's per passo) but I am scratching to muster 20kg in total.

Sorry - didn't mean to cause baggage envy - my bad.

Re disposable suitcases I once took 25kg x 14mm cordage - I forget the length involved - in an old suitcase that had gone at the seams and was more duct tape than case and even then I ran it throught the clingfilm machine at the airport to make sure it survived.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:59   #14

Quote:
Just went to your web site you must be excited to get to your boat😁. Are you bringing her back on her bottom?.

Kind regards. V2
Pretty exited other than the thought of being in La Rochelle in January Brrrrr....

We will hopefully spend next year in the Med probably heading out late fall for a crossing.

The motor is marked "Yacht in Transit" for personal use. It is also being shipped to my dealer with any Taxes or duties due from the recipient and so the VAT responsibility is falling to them. Hopefully they can show it as part of the boat deal and VAT will not be due like most of my other boat equipment. They are not yet sure what will happen next week when it is due to arrive. If they do have to pay it its not horrible on that amount and If I keep the receipt my understanding is that I can file to have it returned when I leave the EU. Time will tell.

As far my other personal belongings, my understanding is that since they are personal items and not for re-sale or professional use then no VAT will be due. I will be sending a fair amount of stuff over in about a month so I'll try to remember to post an update.
Old 12-12-2021, 13:10   #15

Quote:
Yeah I am the one who couldn't get what I wanted in France. Originally I ordered a Yamaha 25 four stroke as part of my deal and the dealer included it. It was slightly higher than I would pay here but I agreed to keep things easy.

Last week I was notified that the Yamaha was backordered and they were told that the earliest it might arrive would be late April. I needed it no later than late February. Absolutely no guarantees that it could even make it then. They said they thought they could get a Suzuki 20 and it would be even more expensive than the Yamaha. I started looking elsewhere including with a buddy in the UK. Its backordered everywhere. Supply chain issues.

Then I found one in Florida for about $1000 cheaper than the prices in France and they had 1 in stock. I bought it ASAP and it is being shipped to my dealer in France. My dealer even suggested if I could find one to get it and ship to them and they would deal with it.

I have so far been pretty lucky with most everything I have needed and wanted. I am pretty picky about exactly what I want and I have been checking availability for months now. My dealer in France wanted to make sure everything was ordered at least 2 months before we needed it due to all the troubles they are experiencing due to the supply chain problems.

Tags
boat, Sweden