Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 08:16   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Getting off Coinjock Marina dock in a strong NW?

We are coming into Norfolk today. We have a reservation at Coinjock Marina for Saturday afternoon. Sunday is supposed to blow 20-30 NW. Saturday will be up there too.

We are a 42’ Beneteau without bow thruster. I can spring pretty well but I don’t know how exposed the dock is.

The way I understand boats are packed in, making landing with a strong crosswind interesting as well.

Anyone seen similar conditions there? Feedback on degree of difficulty?

Thank you!
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 08:50   #2
SFS

Re: Getting off Coinjock Marina dock in a strong NW?

The dock is one long straight face dock. It's not overly exposed - there are some trees 50 yards or so off the east side, and the middle of the face dock has the restaurant/showers building and a smaller marina office building. The canal does not run exactly NW/SE (more NNE/SSW), so in a true NW wind you won't be dead upwind or downwind.

Call the marina 30 minutes out on the phone, and get the scoop on any current that is running. They will suggest which side to rig lines. The dockhands are very good, and work quickly while communicating to each other. I have never encountered an unwillingness to go with Captain's docking plan.

Depending on what time of day you arrive/leave, you may have a LOT of extra room to work with. We were once the only boat on the dock when arriving at 1300. We have also been far from the first to leave at 0700. It's convenient when the boat ahead of you and the one behind leave before you do, but that is just luck of the draw. That being said, they do pack them in each night, and they know exactly how much room they have.

Let them know if you are taking on fuel. The easiest spot to get into is the very south end, but the fuel hose does not reach that far.

As an aside, we found the restaurant to be very disappointing.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:02   #3
SFS

My apologies, I just remembered that you are more concerned about getting off the dock on Sunday than getting on tomorrow. My only other advice is to decide how you would best spring off (stern coming off vs. bow coming off), and factor that into your decision on which side to tie to upon arrival. If it is blowing 30, I suspect windage will be a bigger factor than current.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:22   #4

There is current at Coinjock but very little. Nothing like you'll experience in say, Charleston. And I've never seen a crosswind - or much wind at all since the ICW is so narrow here.

While they pack boats in, the dock crew is very good at handling lines to get you in. Unless you insist on leaving very early the next morning, the boats ahead and behind you will likely leave first. In most conditions, you can get off with a push of the bow and no springing.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:24   #5

A lot of current runs through there as well, depending which way you're facing and which direction the current is flowing you could just rudder port or starboard and walk out parallel with a bit of throttle.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:57   #6

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

If leaving in those conditions....where are you headed?

If southbound, you gonna cross the Albemarle in those winds?

Either way, I bet the wind will funnel down the waterway for the most part and a thruster and spring will get you off.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 12:14   #7

Yep,, let the wind work you onto the dock,
aided by the engine.. Spring to get off, using
a fender...
AND as the man said,, if its blowing 30 plus,,
DONT cross the Albemarle sound.. even heading
nth up the ditch is not fun in that breeze.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock