Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 10:36   #1

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Getting Rid of a Perkins 4-108?

A buddy has a Perkin 4-108 and gear box that he replaced with a new Westerbeke. Is there a good place to sell what he has? It had been poorly rebuilt, so he decided to get a new engine, but it still has lots of good stuff on it and might be of value to a current 4-108 owner e.g starter, head exchanger etc

Any thoughts?
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:48   #2

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Re: Getting Rid of a Perkins 4-108?

I had a Perkins 4 107 same deal. Replaced it with a Yanmar and tried to sell the engine online eBay. No takers. So I stripped it down so the injector pump separately so the pumps water pump separately. And even sold the head. I took the remaining carcass to the Metal Recycling yard and threw it out. I still have a few parts left over if anybody's interested. Both raw water and fresh water pumps available.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 16:38   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

IIRC There is a guy/company that buys them and rebuilds them. I think I saw an ad in the classifieds section here in cf. Do a search.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 17:17   #4

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

We have a 4.108 and could be interested in all of those parts. Where in the USA are you guys as I'm there next month?

Cheers

AG
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 17:27   #5

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
A buddy has a Perkin 4-108 and gear box that he replaced with a new Westerbeke. Is there a good place to sell what he has? It had been poorly rebuilt, so he decided to get a new engine, but it still has lots of good stuff on it and might be of value to a current 4-108 owner e.g starter, head exchanger etc

Any thoughts?
Out of curiosity who did the rebuild?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:41   #6

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I sold my old 4-108 to a farmer for an irragation pump application
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:05   #7

Boat: 1977 GulfStar 40 (Ted Hood)

What type of gearbox and its location is Miami?
Lodbrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:28   #8

I have found that a warm iron, not hot! on an absorbant cotton with bentonite or cornstarch underneath over the stain , you do not want the glue to release the veneer from the ply substrate if it is a veneer. It is also helpful to take a single edge razor blade and slowly scrape most of the covering finish off so that a solvent can be applied by Qtip to enable the heat and absorbers to work. Key is slowly go about the process. There are no instant fixes. When you get close to achieving removing the blackness, which is carbon, you can again use a mild wood bleach applied by Qtip and let it do its work and reapply if necessary. When dry, clean with a damp sponge, let dry and wipe with denatured alcohol or thinner and you will see what it will look like when you reapply the finish. Have fun.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:34   #9

The above belongs in the oil stain inquiry. Sorry
Old 04-03-2018, 10:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Out of curiosity who did the rebuild?

Foley Marine Engines in Worcester, MA
Old 04-03-2018, 10:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodbrog1 View Post
What type of gearbox and its location is Miami?

I'll find out about the gear box. The engine is in eastern Massachusetts.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:02   #12

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

Perkins Engines, Peterborough UK. What a very fine company. And this engine was made, under license, all over the world. The problem with many of these great old companies is the detail of variations for the applications, model changes, and "improvements" over the years. Another problem was the knowledge and manner of marketing and representation around the world. I have seen this engine, with an expected interval between overhauls of 8,000 to 10,000 hours destroyed like many other brands, by operator negligence and lack of experience. I have also participated in the rebuild of one unit that had 28,000 hours operating as a generator on a fishing vessel. Obviously well maintained and serviced. It was running on 3 cylinders all the way back to the west coast from Midway where it was providing lighting for tuna boat. It was found to be in spec. at dismantle so it went out with some experimental repair materials applied to cracked head, some crankshaft repairs, and a new injection pump and other parts. It should have been chromed and placed on display.
I presented a concept to the President of Yanmar, (Yamamoto, the Admirals Relative) and the Corporate Board of Directors about the time that engine came in for repair. Maybe 1980 or 1982. The concept was to build a parts distribution system based on something totally new and very quietly understood in scientific circles. Global distribution through the precursor of the Internet which was based on use of the telephone and which was in process of its movement into satellite and wireless technology. I remember that I used an Apple IIe at the time. And we borrowed software rather freely for data systems.
Perkins is a company that did not keep up with the marketing and protected relationships rather than investing in the evolution of those people by modern application of counseling and self help. Still wonderful engineers and great people.

Hats off to the many people who lived and breathed Perkins. There was a time when nearly every baggage tug was powered by a Perkins 4.236. Perkins was operated at every extreme imaginable and some you can't imagine!

I also turned to Yanmar in frustration over distribution and lack of knowledge and parts availability world wide. Not really a better engine, but also a good one!

Pray with your mechanic and pay him for his experience and time, at least with respect.
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:47   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Most engine re-builders will give you something for an old engine. Needs to be local or shipping will be more than the value but it does enable them to be recycled.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 21:42   #14

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post

Any thoughts?
Given that you had a couple of responses concerning possible purchase, you might try Cruisers Forum.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:28   #15

Boat: Whitby 42

In 2006, Practical Sailor book had a review of diesel engines (50 hp and lower), and reliability as ranked by marine diesel mechanics. The Perkins 4-108 was listed as what was one of the best ever made.... Until it was purchased by Caterpillar and the marine division Perkins-Sabre serviced in US by Penske. Parts became more difficult to obtain.... and "everything went to hell for Perkins."

I have a Perkins 4.236--runs great. Parts sometime need to be sourced through tractor supply houses. that's OK as they seem to less$$$.

Too bad that there was a shoddy rebuild. They are made to be rebuilt much easier than most others on the market. Hope to keep mine going as long as I own my boat.

I would think there would be some takers for parts or all. Shipping the weight is the biggest issue.
Phantastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins