Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 13:27   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Glasses needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
Well I'm in the same boat so to say 🤣. Just found out I need glasses for distance. I already wear reading glasses and would be lost without them.

My question is would you recommend bifocals or regular distance glasses and just change between the two? How are distance glasses for reading chart plotters and compass headings? I use trifocals, not the progressive lens ones. I can read anything, see stuff on the engine when I'm handing Jim tools, etc. Sometimes I take them off when I hand-sew' You could try for bifocal contact lenses: imo, they would be the best option.

I know I will need to get perscription lenses for my sunglasses as well. 🤔

Any personal recomendations welcome.

If your eyes will tolerate the contact lenses, I think they're best. You should plan on a spare set, just as you would with glasses.
But don't worry about it if you need distance glasses. I used to get my prescription in polarized sunglasses as well; however, now I prefer the polarized glasses that fit over the regular prescription, that also help keep the breeze out of my eyes. I use my next to last prescription as my spare.

Robyn
You're likely to find that your eyes continue to change throughout your life, and that different solutions will please you at different times.

I keep my sunglasses on a string, so they are easy to snatch off when i go inside, and then it is easy to see in the darker interior. I like having all the corrections on my face with one pair of glasses, so I can do whatever I need/want to do--close, medium or as-far-away-as-possible. Ymmv.

Be prepared for some experimentation, but if you can do what you need with contact lenses, do that, because it is so nice to just blink away the salt spray or rain and your vision is back to 20/20.

Ann
Old 25-11-2020, 15:11   #32

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. There are front of the eye doctors and back of the eye doctors. If the “floaters” get bothersome, get thee to an eye doctor. If you see stars or flashes, go forth with good speed to the office. Ask the doctor why.
My wife and I did high alpine climbing when we were young. The polarized lenses were pitch black and the glasses had leather side panels.
Bounce, off snow or water, not a good thing. Lots of information on climbing webs about the correct lenses.
The USCG requires spare glasses if you wear them. Good advice.
Lots on the forum about binoculars.
Manatee eyes close like a camera not a window shade.
Somehow, they smell pizza or beer miles away.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his “looking cool in shades” manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 00:27   #33

Boat: Fortune 30

Thank you for all the responses. Just to be clear. I am a long time liveaboard/ cruiser sailor ... not just starting out. And this summer I did days of night watches on a passage without any glasses... just reading glasses for close up. Went to an eye doctor on return to home base because indeed I discovered a floater. Thankfully everything is fine but he did test my vision and told me I desperately need glasses for distance.

So, no contact lenses for me.

Ann, your comment helped. Everything in one pair of glasses certainly is ideal... just not sure how I'd adjust to bifocals. I guess it is a personal choice.

But still am wondering if distance glasses are enough when reading the plotter or compass from the wheel? 🤔 or if I'd need to switch glasses?
Robyn
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 12:43   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
But still am wondering if distance glasses are enough when reading the plotter or compass from the wheel? �� or if I'd need to switch glasses?
My trifocals work for me, although we don't use a chart plotter; we use our computers. Talk with your optometrist about it, I would think you need at least the reading and the distance; I don't know if you need mid-range correction as well.

Ann
Old 26-11-2020, 12:51   #35

I'm surprised your near vision isn't bad. Glasses are fine, but watch out with stepping off the boat etc, the depth correction can be weird.... especially with multifocals. How do I know? broke my wrist doing a face plant stepping off the boat once...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 02:01   #36

Boat: Fortune 30

Okay Ann that seems reasonable.

Cheechako wow. That's exactly what worries me about bifocals.
Robyn
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 10:59   #37

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

As you age your ability to focus near and far becomes less. This is called accommodation.
LASIK or other refractive surgery cannot change this. So no matter how good your eyesight you will likely end up with a change as you age. Late forties early fifties is typical.

As I’ve gotten older I have gone from needing distance glasses to needing both readers and distance. At the same time my overall nearsightedness has gone from -2D to -1D.
I have to take my distance glasses off to read the charts or screens. But I’m ok at distance.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote