Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2014, 16:34   #1

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Going to larger boom, any downside?

I switched from end of boom sheeting to mid boom on my Bristol 35.5, keeping the old boom which has a 5" round profile. The boom has developed a distinct curve at the sheeting bails, likely due to exuberant sheeting by my race crew. I have the opportunity to buy a bigger boom off a Catalina 40, about a 4-1/2" x 7" squarish oval section. The gooseneck bolt fits. I will have to shorten it; the ends are cast, riveted in place and minimally corroded. The foot is designed for a bolt rope, but it looks like my slides should fit. I am uncertain about the dimensions/position of the tack shackle, but that should be able to be worked around. It seems that the reeling system is much better. There is a vang attachment fitting and two mainsheet attachment points; they slide in a groove and should be readily adjustable. I do not have a dodger or other obstructions that it needs to clear.

Any downside to going with a bigger boom? The weight and windage increase seems minimal relative to the improvement in stiffness.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 16:47   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Going to larger boom, any downside?

We did something like that. Couldn't find just the right size so went pretty big. There is some extra weight and it looks out of proportion and it would totally squash your noggin. Works good .
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:19   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Noggin notwithstanding it should pose no problem.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:15   #4

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Noggin notwithstanding it should pose no problem.
A lot of older boats have boom issues because they were designed for a bolt rope foot but then sailmakers talk you into a loose footed main without taking in to account that the boom is too light. On anything less than a serious racer the extra weight is not going to be a problem other than maybe having to use the topping lift more in the very light. Ive actually installed a larger boom when I got the opportunity to buy a very cheap much newer, nicer boom.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47   #5

Interesting notion. If the foot carries part of the load as you suggest, then how is it possible to have a loose-footed main in the first place?

Can't recall exactly what thread, but I am pretty sure your notion has been debunked elsewhere. I mean think about it. The fact that the clew is lifting causing the boom to bend at the mid-boom bail, isn't that telling you the clew is where all the load is at? Like a canitlever?

But hey, what do I know? I converted from mid-boom to end-of-boom sheeting.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote