Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 17:27   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
good anchorages in Back River Hampton?

I'm leaving Deltaville and thought the Back River would make a good first stop. Are there good anchorages near the mouth?
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:30   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've never tried Back River, but the Hampton River is a fine place to stop. You can anchor near the Hampton Marina. Good restaurants, etc. in town.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:08   #3

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
Yes, in Hampton you can stay at Joy's Marina - Joy's Marina | Downtown Hampton, Virginia - and walk to shopping, restaurants and so on. Friendly place, protected dock.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:19   #4

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
A little before Back River is Mobjack Bay, there are a few rivers right off of there that have very nice anchorages. Also across from Hampton is Willoughby Bay, plenty of room and not too bad.....sometimes get to watch the Navy Helo's train and have a nice view of the carriers.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26   #5

Well, I plan to get a slip the next day at Coinjock so I'm looking for an anchorage in/near Hampton. I am also travelling with a slower boat the first day or I might try to make it to Willoughby bay the first day. Thanks for the tip, Hud, I'll check into it.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:34   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Directly across from Willoughby is a more protected anchorage if Willoughby is too exposed. Turn in between the brick buildings which is a military hospital and the bridge that comes out of the tunnel. Go all the way back and anchor out of the marked channel.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:34   #7

Where are heading ?? I brought my boat down from deltaville, motor sailed wanted to do it in one day and reach the marine before dark, took 7-8 hours to get to Scotts Creek (across from Norfolk Waterside).
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribnsol View Post
Where are heading ?? I brought my boat down from deltaville, motor sailed wanted to do it in one day and reach the marine before dark, took 7-8 hours to get to Scotts Creek (across from Norfolk Waterside).
So, its only about 6hours from Dville to Wilioughby?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:50   #9

depending, but that sounds about right. I was averaging 6-7 knots. Getting in and out of there is real easy too. Turn just after the bridge/tunnel, parallel the bridge, then dogleg left into the bay.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:14   #10

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
I agree with HUD and Pathfinder.
Back River is shallow and difficult to navigate. I ran aground ther twice and vowed to never go back. Hampton and Willoughby are both good spots. Willoughby gets you closer to your next destination but Hampton has better protection.
Good Luck.
Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22   #11

Boat: Catalina 22 Tide Us Over
Aquah0lic,
Jim is right, I only draw 4 feet with the board down and I wouldn't go in Back Creek. If you look on the chart theres a bar right in the middle, the depth goes from 14 to 1 foot very quickly. No thanks.
The anchorage Chuck mentioned off Ft. Monroe is a good one. It's only about 9 miles further than the Back River. It isn't the most picturesque though with the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to the south, and if the winds out of the E/SE it can
Hampton Creek as HUD3 mentioned is a little more protected than off Ft. Monroe. It's only about 1-2 miles further south. There are definitely more shops/restaurants here.
My chart program has 31 nm to Back River, 40 to Mill Creek/Ft. Monroe, 41.5 to Hampton Creek and 49 to Hospital Pt. from Deltaville.

Plus from Back River to Coinjock is about 60 miles, which would be hard to do in 1 day with all the bridges in Chesapeake.
Mark
MarcusYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Back Rver isn't so great you have to go in a long way and the water gets shallow. Chismon Creek would be the place to go there. There is Back Creek that would be better and not as far off the bay. It's north of Back River and north of the Poquoson River. It's the south side of Goodwin Neck behind Tue Marsh. You enter from the Poquoson tiver side along the Thoroughfare channel that goes through the gap to the York river. The gap (aka the sand box) is very shallow. But before you get there is the turn into Back Creek. You'll see the Scallop boats. Before you get to the boats to the south is a cove that can be decent to anchor in. Also inside the creek past the boats and past the last green to the south is a small area off the channel where you could hole up in. That would be less out of the way than Mobjack since you have to go a ways up the East River.

If you could make it to Hospital Point on the Elizabeth River that is a great anchgorage.

Chuck's idea is also a good one if you get that far as it's better protected than Willoughby Bay. Hampton River get crowded in season but off season and not before the 1500 it should also be good. There is Salt Ponds Marina as the last stop on the Bay too. Depth in there is about 5 ft. that is the shallowest spot just at the inside end of the rock jetty.

I would say that recaps the best spots once you leave Deltaville.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:43   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
From the Norfolk area we always go to Great Bridge and tie to the FREE city bulkhead just outside the locks. Everything is nearby and a short walk. Very nice peaceful tie up and so protected he sat out Hurricane Dennis there as it passed over 3 times with no issues. The next day if you only stay one day is a short hop to Coinjock.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51   #14

I am formerly out of Deltaville and have made this trip countless times. I strongly suggest an early start and a long day to put you right at mile marker 0 either anchored at Hospital Point or into one of the marina's. You have 50 miles to make to Coinjock the next day and a slew of bridges locks with restricted opening times at AM and PM rush hours and you need to get an early start to avoid the ruch hour closings.
Bridge schedules are here:
Intracoastal Waterway Bridge Schedules

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 14:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusYell View Post
Aquah0lic,
Jim is right, I only draw 4 feet with the board down and I wouldn't go in Back Creek. If you look on the chart theres a bar right in the middle, the depth goes from 14 to 1 foot very quickly. No thanks.
The anchorage Chuck mentioned off Ft. Monroe is a good one. It's only about 9 miles further than the Back River. It isn't the most picturesque though with the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to the south, and if the winds out of the E/SE it can
Hampton Creek as HUD3 mentioned is a little more protected than off Ft. Monroe. It's only about 1-2 miles further south. There are definitely more shops/restaurants here.
My chart program has 31 nm to Back River, 40 to Mill Creek/Ft. Monroe, 41.5 to Hampton Creek and 49 to Hospital Pt. from Deltaville.

Plus from Back River to Coinjock is about 60 miles, which would be hard to do in 1 day with all the bridges in Chesapeake.
Mark
Thanks for all this great info and to paul and the others as well. However, I can't leave early as I'd like because I have to hit the marina first and they are on holiday until monday. I'm looking for an easy first day. If I can make it to GB on day 2 and coinjock in three, I'll be plenty happy.

For that free slip in GB do you have to call them phone/radio or just show up?

Tags
anchor, anchorages