Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2021, 08:08   #1

Good Practice Waters Near Annapolis

I just bought my first sailboat, which I am keeping in Annapolis. I previously sailed around Boston, where I knew of quiet spots where I could go to practice maneuvers on my club’s boats. I would like to take my boat somewhere quiet near Annapolis to practice handling it. Does anyone know of any good spots where I can do this without getting in the way of a lot of other boats? Thanks.
goodiefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 04:52   #2

Re: Good Practice Waters Near Annapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiefun View Post
I just bought my first sailboat, which I am keeping in Annapolis. I previously sailed around Boston, where I knew of quiet spots where I could go to practice maneuvers on my club’s boats. I would like to take my boat somewhere quiet near Annapolis to practice handling it. Does anyone know of any good spots where I can do this without getting in the way of a lot of other boats? Thanks.
As long as you're not in one of the main channels, you can go anywhere you want on the Chesapeake. No need to make it any harder, just go sail and enjoy yourself!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 05:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiefun View Post
I think all the noobs go down ego alley at the city dock to practice. At least that is what it seems like.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 06:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Congratulations on the new boat! You can add your boat info to your profile, so others can put your questions in context. Annapolis can get pretty busy on weekends especially when there is a special event, but if you head out to the bay, it is wide open. Just watch for large ships and barges running north/south, and do your practicing away from the marked channels.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 07:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The area just north of the Bay Bridge, east of the main shipping channel, and south of Love Point tends to be pretty lightly traveled.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 07:31   #6

Boat: Southerly 480

As others have said, the bay is a great place to learn. South of the bay bridge can be a bit crowded on the weekends and holidays.

Watch out for the crab pots and racers (Wed night), but heading further out gets you away from those. You'll have plenty of room to enjoy and learn.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 08:30   #7

I didn't find the bay near Annapolis itself that busy... just get out there and give it a go. PS: BYOW (Bring your own wind...)

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 09:31   #8

Boat: O’Day 40

You could consider the area just outside the outlet of Whitehall Bay its close in, you don't have to pass the bridge & has some nice anchorages. Like everywhere on the Bay, mind your depths
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 12:59   #9

Boat: 1988 Taswell 43 & 1972 Laser

Congratulations! We would not advise going to Ego Alley to practice! Agree with others about the bay though. Fair winds.
ccwoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 14:05   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm sure Pandor's Ego Alley (the market slip) advice was good humor. There always seems to be lots of open space just a bit away from the main harbor area as others have said. There can be some fun space up the Severn to if the winds up enough. ...Enjoy!
Old 17-06-2021, 17:46   #11

Boat: Morgan 34

I agree wholeheartedly, the waters near Annapolis are great for practicing!
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 18:41   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Get out on the water during the week, though Friday is often busy. Monday through Thursday there is far less boats out than on the weekend. Its kind of like Costco.....
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, water