Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 06:56   #1
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Granada, West Indies to New York

I'm not sure where best to post this question, so if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.

I am wondering what folks think about how one might take a sailboat from Granada - Clarkes Court Bay to be exact - to New York City? I was looking at Jimmy Cornell's book on World Cruising Routes and it's not exactly a listed route. Although from the routes listed it does look like there may be two general weather windows, April, May and then in December. He also talks about running the Gulf Stream up or going into the ICW for an "easier" trip.

I then pulled out my old Admiralty book on Ocean Passages for the World and it seems there are two traditional (potentially) sailing routes. One would be rather quite off-shore, almost as if one were coming from Africa, and another that would shoot you more towards Florida where you might actually then go up the ICW. So the two pretty much agree on the two general routes.

Any thoughts on a trip like this and potentially how long would one expect to take? Anybody with sailing experience in this region that may have insight into a trip like this? Is it really only this fairly small time window that one should consider? any other insights would be most welcome.

This is looking to me like you'd really want a fully prepared blue water capable boat. I had never quite realized just how far south Granada actually is until I started looking at this. I've never been in the Caribbean, sadly...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york