Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 02:48   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Grasping at straws - Overdue Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The fact that this guy had a DUI in 2010 is relevant how?
The impression I get is that many in the US see Alcohol as the devil's kool aid . Puritan and Taliban ideas get everywhere .

Not saying that a DUI is a good thing to do - just that I don't see it as usually meaning someone is drunk 24/7 or it makes them a "bad" person.

The drug smuggling thing on the overhand .......whilst I have no reason to suspect that they decided to revisit past activity, perhaps worth bearing in mind that it is a sector that does not suit folks re-entering after time away - both the people and the "rules" change, and not usually a forgiving industry to bumble into or for amateurs to dip into, especially if going up the food chain.......where the predators have ever bigger teeth . As a broad rule of thumb, if ya can't work out who it makes sense to be rid off in a deal - it's probably you .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 03:13   #17

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The fact that this guy had a DUI in 2010 is relevant how?
Perhaps the fact that it is a "mugshot" is a giveaway as to what they look like?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 07:31   #18
CWV

I am not sure how to post pictures but I have 2 of the boat he is on. I made one my Avater (managed to figure that out)
CWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 07:34   #19
CWV

I just realized thats too small to see now. when I try to add attatchment it doesnt give me an option to. maybe its just my computer?
Old 26-03-2013, 07:44   #20

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Click "Go Advanced" under the quick reply window, then click the paper clip to attach a picture...LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 07:53   #21

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

There is a cruisers net at 9:00AM every day in Boot Key Harbor. The topic of what happened to Blondie was mentioned for quite some time. It was mentioned the USCG found a life ring from Blondie, but nothing else. The USCG also said it could not comment more about an ongoing case. I would point out the life ring was found in the Gulf, not ocean side which is the opposite direction of the Gulf Stream current and the supposed destination. I was only interested in passing about this topic but several folks on the net seemed to know more about Blondie and I always got the feeling that there was more to the story than what the USCG released.

Sorry I can't add more details for the family. There seems to be a fairly close knit group at Boot Key and if I learn more I will pass it on to the family.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:03   #22
CWV

trying again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abaco 2 - 5.25.10 009.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	57940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Abacos 5.12.10 053.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	57941  

Old 26-03-2013, 08:04   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Well, talking about total irrelevancies and poor information first up has lead this thread astray.

If they were going on an extended fishing trip into the Caribbean, including or via Jaimaca leaving mid January then they may still be quite fine.

Two and a half months cruising these areas is not long, and if the boat was in difficulties should be able to sustain a couple of fishermen till it drifts to some shore in the west.

Without giving friends some real idea of their cruise then they are the proverbial needle in the haystack.

There is very little that one could effectively do but wait. And that's a very difficult situation for a family to be in.

Hopefully they will be in some Caribbean port telling fish stories in a bar surrounded by girls.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:10   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well, talking about total irrelevancies and poor information first up has lead this thread astray.

If they were going on an extended fishing trip into the Caribbean, including or via Jaimaca leaving mid January then they may still be quite fine.

Two and a half months cruising these areas is not long, and if the boat was in difficulties should be able to sustain a couple of fishermen till it drifts to some shore in the west.

Without giving friends some real idea of their cruise then they are the proverbial needle in the haystack.

There is very little that one could effectively do but wait. And that's a very difficult situation for a family to be in.

Hopefully they will be in some Caribbean port telling fish stories in a bar surrounded by girls.
I belive MarkJ has got it right,I was thinking the same thing..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:37   #25

Either that or they decided to go make another run and the OP is a DEA Agent......

Honestly, I hope MarkJ is right. It'd make a much better story than two old farts and a sail boat full of Ganja.

Assuming OP is not in fact the DEA, I hereby apologize for ripping on you in your time of pain and offer my sincerest hope that all aboard Blondie are found alive and well, and preferably surrounded by cute girls in bikinis.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:41   #26

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Angie, I wish you the best on finding your grandfather safely. I'm not in the area so I'm not much help.

Does anyone recognize the make of the boat CWW posted? Maybe we can help Angie with a few additional facts she didn't have before this thread.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Romberg View Post
Either that or they decided to go make another run and the OP is a DEA Agent......

Honestly, I hope MarkJ is right. It'd make a much better story than two old farts and a sail boat full of Ganja.

Assuming OP is not in fact the DEA, I hereby apologize for ripping on you in your time of pain and offer my sincerest hope that all aboard Blondie are found alive and well, and preferably surrounded by cute girls in bikinis.

The DEA has a lot better ways to track boats than going onto cruising forums and fishing. In fact, if the OP used enough tact and charm, he might get a DEA or ICE agent to do some internal database searching and see where the vessel was last reported, obtained one way or the other.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:09   #28
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The OP has already posted a notice who the lead detective is for this case for Monroe County, so I doubt there is nefarious intent. If you have information...

Quote:
"Anyone with information as to the location of these two men should contact the Sheriff's Office immediately. Detective Deb Ryan has been assigned to the case. 305-289-2410."
Monroe County Sheriff's Office - Florida Keys: Men missing from Marathon area
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There is a cruisers net at 9:00AM every day in Boot Key Harbor. The topic of what happened to Blondie was mentioned for quite some time. It was mentioned the USCG found a life ring from Blondie, but nothing else. The USCG also said it could not comment more about an ongoing case. I would point out the life ring was found in the Gulf, not ocean side which is the opposite direction of the Gulf Stream current and the supposed destination. I was only interested in passing about this topic but several folks on the net seemed to know more about Blondie and I always got the feeling that there was more to the story than what the USCG released.

Sorry I can't add more details for the family. There seems to be a fairly close knit group at Boot Key and if I learn more I will pass it on to the family.

Thank you. And if you hear anything else, please let us know.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions. Obviously, I do not know anything about sailing. I am not from Florida where he departed from so we are hard pressed to get much information other than what we can google or what the detective will tell us.

Angie
holtfishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:33   #30

Boat: Finnsailer 38

What does everyone think? Pearson 35? According to the information here, the beam is correct at 10 feet, but a P35 should be 35' 2" LOA.