Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2023, 13:23   #16

Boat: Alerion Express 28
Re: Gratuity on a Bareboat Charter

You say they are "a well rated company". I saw this caveat on their website: "At the same time, there are many brokers out there who know absolutely nothing about our fleet OR even the Virgin Islands themselves. Please be aware. " I thought that was an odd statement and makes me think they may be sketchy. If the "rating" was on Yelp it might be OK; anything else I would be suspicious.

I have chartered more than a dozen times from different companies and have learned that the level of service can vary enormously. Caveat emptor!
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 13:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
You say they are "a well rated company". I saw this caveat on their website: "At the same time, there are many brokers out there who know absolutely nothing about our fleet OR even the Virgin Islands themselves. Please be aware. " I thought that was an odd statement and makes me think they may be sketchy. If the "rating" was on Yelp it might be OK; anything else I would be suspicious.

I have chartered more than a dozen times from different companies and have learned that the level of service can vary enormously. Caveat emptor!
Yes, I was going off of independent reviews on Google. It certainly could be faked, but there are no bad stories on there. They are also exceptionally responsive. Things could certainly go wrong with them if we requested support, but compared to some of the other companies which I can't get to answer their phone or email, these seem more trustworthy. Usually if someone has a bad time, they are going to dump on them on many different sites, so I try to look for anything negative about them, which eliminated one of our cheapest options.
DavidJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 14:26   #18

Boat: Alerion Express 28

You have done your homework. Good luck.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 16:01   #19

Boat: C-26

I have gotten bareboats all over the world since the 80s. I have never been charged a gratuity nor have I ever had a check-out captain. They look at my credentials and say, "Have fun". However, when I worked for ABC Charters in Hopetown, Bahamas, I had to do checkouts as well as weeklong charters. I got a per diem and was always tipped 10% of the total of my gross pay. Which wasn't a lot in 1985.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 16:45   #20

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
This tipping mentality is just wrong.

Charge people what it costs you to provide the service and pay your employees a living wage based on what you charge.

you do not have to tip...

chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 17:04   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
This tipping mentality is just wrong.

Charge people what it costs you to provide the service and pay your employees a living wage based on what you charge.
Well said. Tipping culture is out of hand, and largely only benefits business owners who can underpay their staff. Resist it wherever you can.
Old 28-04-2023, 06:53   #22

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Is this the company that used to be called CYOA?
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 08:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJH View Post
Yes, I do appreciate they put it in the end of the quote and not in the final bill, but the fact that they claim its "Industry Standard" when I have found no one else that does this, seems to be deceptive. Additionally, they are charging gratuity and likely not passing it on to the boat owner or the staff. Gratuity is for people who directly help you and is usually voluntary. It just doesn't feel correct which is why I came here to ask of everyones collective wisdom on the matter.
Many years ago while on a bare boat chart we met a young couple cruising on a very small boat. They were out of money and were running low on food. So hooked up with them the night before the charter ended and all had dinner on our boat. We then gave them all the food we had left right down to the salt and pepper. When we brought the boat back the charter company got really mad at us because the cleaning crews get whatever food was left on board as part of their pay.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 09:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Is this the company that used to be called CYOA?
No, CYOA is now owned by Waypoints.
randygwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 09:33   #25

Glad you got it clarified, I chartered with them in Dec '21 and just looked at my paperwork...no tip mentioned. We had a good trip with them, good boat and service.
randygwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 09:54   #26

I have done about 25 bareboat charters in the Caribbean...never once paid a gratuity to the charter company or any employee...never used a check-out captain either.
CaptJimFrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 11:44   #27

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJimFrei View Post
I have done about 25 bareboat charters in the Caribbean...never once paid a gratuity to the charter company or any employee...never used a check-out captain either.
Back when CYOA was independent, they always required a short sail with one of their captains out in the main St. Thomas harbor (west of their Frenchtown base) just enough so they could see if you were a complete knucklehead and to make sure there were no tears in the sails. It only took about 30-45 minutes and we would always tip the guy $20 or $40.

Not sure with the new owners. Horizon, Moorings, and Dream in the BVI never required that.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 12:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Back when CYOA was independent, they always required a short sail with one of their captains out in the main St. Thomas harbor (west of their Frenchtown base) just enough so they could see if you were a complete knucklehead and to make sure there were no tears in the sails. It only took about 30-45 minutes and we would always tip the guy $20 or $40.

Not sure with the new owners. Horizon, Moorings, and Dream in the BVI never required that.
In all fairness, I live in Ohio and have been off the water for some time due to COVID, and only have one bareboat under my belt before that. I think it's perfectly fair they are requesting a refresher. Now if I had chartered 10 times in the last 20 years, then yes, it would be a bit annoying.
DavidJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 12:18   #29

Boat: Leopard 40

Firstly, tipping 20% is crazy. Unless you get exceptional, above and beyond the call of duty service. I have done this when warranted.
The tip should go directly to the person providing the service.

Tipping a charter company for the pleasure of picking them from a dozen other companies…

Imagine if you bought a new iphone and Apple charged you a 20% gratuity fee over and above the cost of the phone!

I understand tipping a crewed charter, done this in the past, but it was never a % of the charter fee and it depends on their performance and service. Also, paid cash directly to the staff.

When you go to a hotel, do you leave a 20% tip (of your entire bill) to the cleaning staff?

To the OP, I would say look at another company, unless their price including gratuity works for you.

Never had a checkout captain, but seems to me he should be paid by the charter company as he is there to protect their interests.

I do not see any reason to tip anyone for a bareboat charter, unless the checkout captain is hired by you to assist and teach you, then tip him by all means.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2023, 12:25   #30

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post

I do not see any reason to tip anyone for a bareboat charter, unless the checkout captain is hired by you to assist and teach you, then tip him by all means.
Having said that, I just returned from a 12 day charter in the Seychelles and witnessed first hand where a checkout captain would have helped a lot. Had it not been for our hooter a brand new Leopard 50 would have surely been parked high and dry!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter