Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2023, 03:24   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000
Great Australian Bight

Hi all, after some info on sailing west to east across the Bight, Perth to Adelaide.
Particularly the best time to do it. I was thinking late winter after the worst of the fronts have passed but with still a SW wind flow??

Thanks in advance for any help
Paul
Takitezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:54   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Great Australian Bight

In theory, any time of the year. However in summer months there is often a high in the Bight, that will give you easterlies (headwinds). You have to go along way south then to catch the westerlies.
In winter, you could leave Albany or Esperance after a big front has passed, but count on it to get at least on other front to Adelaide or 2 or 3 going to the east coast.
Therefore spring or late summer remain. But still there will be some fronts, but winds not as severe as in winter (june to mid september)
Old 02-02-2023, 07:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Great Australian Bight

I did the trip from Perth to Tassie in Nov/Dec.
Left Perth as an E'ly was tailing off and hove to of the Cape till wind filled in from the W then pulled into Albany due to TP problems.
From there I sailed E then hopped into Pt Fairy for 3 days as a 50kt breeze went past.. continued on down the coast to the Strait and crossed in flat calm waters with seals and porpoise/dolphins all around. very reasonable conditions really considering the horrer stories I had heard.
Boat was a 30ft ply Van de Stadt.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 15:59   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000

Thanks guys. With my schedule it looks like October for me. Easterlies don’t sound so good for me in a cat.
Cheers
Takitezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 22:24   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takitezy View Post
Hi all, after some info on sailing west to east across the Bight, Perth to Adelaide.

Particularly the best time to do it. I was thinking late winter after the worst of the fronts have passed but with still a SW wind flow??

Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

You’re planning the opposite of our plan, which will see us crossing the bight late March E to W. Maybe we’ll see you in Perth before we head north in April.

Have you checked out the Jack and Jude books and guides? They’ve done that trip several times.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 23:19   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i've been across the bight numerous times...had 50kts all the way, and also in flat calm

really doesn't especially matter what time of year you do it...just be patient and time your run

if you want to do it in a couple of hops, esperance to thevenard shortens the distance quite a it. then port lincoln, then you are in the gulfs and it's easy

actually getting fm perth to esperance (ie around cape leuwin) is the worst part of the trip

like i said, be patient and wait for the window

enjoy

cheers,

Tags
Australia