Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 09:23   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Great Lakes Advice (risky venture for newbie?)

Your planned trip is not for a newbie, under any circumstances. You need to do as everyone else here has recommended, plus, you must learn how to recognize the weather patterns that develop quickly and change things from a gentle 7mph wind to 40 mph in a space of 15 minutes... and the waves go from 1 footers to 8 footers at the same time. If you haven't experienced it, don't try it, especially alone!! You really need an experienced great lakes sailor to go with you on this first trip. Skipper53's suggestion is the best: have it trailered to your calling port and then practice for a season, or two, or three.... I know, I've been there and done it.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:28   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by david63 View Post
Yes, I have driven through Chicago, and would take that route through the early hours to save time. Tolls would be a pain along the route and surely not as scenic but probably half the distance. The boat does have an auto helm and diesel inboard. I suppose I could motor across and have my son meet me on the other side with the trailer. that could be another option.
Trailering is probably your best bet, even if you have to rent a truck to do it.
Crossing Milwaukee to Muskegon is about 90 miles of open water. I had probably 20 years sailing experience before I tried it, so not the best for a noob. Cruising the south end of the Lake harbor to harbor from Milwaukee to South Haven or so is a pleasant trip with short distances, a much better way to learn the boat and get some experience. From there it's 60mph down I94, probably four hours.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:38   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Two years ago, my wife and I, “newbies” except for sailing much smaller boats, left Muskegon in our (new to us), Catalina 30.
We’d never been on the Great Lakes. We cruised 30 to 50+ miles/ day.
I won’t list anchorages, but we went to the North Channel, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway, Lake Ontario, Erie Canal, L Erie, up to L Huron and back to Muskegon. Anchored out a lot.
2400 miles, 400 hours on the diesel. We left about June 21, got back the first week of October.
No sailing, as the mast came down to do the canals.
Watched the weather religiously. Get the “Windy” app. We had an auto pilot, a new 9” Axiom chart plotter, Waterway Guide, Richardson’s for L Michigan and Huron, vhf main and portable, new 27lb Rocna Vulcan, 8’ inflatable, and 20 gallons of diesel on deck.
We never traveled if waves over 3’ were predicted. Paid attention to direction of the waves.
Never saw waves change from 1’ to 8’ in 15 minutes.
You can do this, if you watch the weather, and your diesel is dependable.
Run up to Manitowoc, cross over to Ludington, and you’re good.
It could very well take 3 weeks. There are plenty of “harbors of refuge” in Lakes Michigan and Huron.

Good luck!
Tom
dante1696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:01   #19

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Trailering..... You'll have to be sure that the trailer is up to the trip and that you have the right towing vehicle to do so. Lets start up front and move back. The tow vehicle will need a brake controller if the brakes are electric, but won't if it is surge braked. You will need to make sure you have the right sized hitch and pig tail for lights.Lights.... they must all be working and for the length, you need side markers. Trailers are notorious for shoddy lights. Two axle is perfect. That makes for a better balanced load. As well make sure that you do not have too much tongue weight. You can adjust the weight inside the boat by moving gear fore and aft. Your vehicle should specify max tongue weight. When we get to the wheels, make sure you have good rubber. You may want to see when the bearing were last repacked with new grease and the bearing were checked for wear. Tire fires will take out the boat from overheated bearing. Secure your load with cargo straps. Trailer may need new registration and tags in your name..... You should be able to have a local shop check the trailer for a nominal fee and make necessary repairs.

If you have ever towed anything, you should be fine. Ain't boats fun!
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:32   #20

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Rebuild the trailer axles even if you think they don't need it, because they do. Buy 2, repeat 2 spare wheel mounted tires. Replace all the lights, because yeah, they need it too. Trailer up the boat and drive it around locally for at least a couple of hours to test everything including your ability to drive it. Then leave Saturday or Sunday from Milwaukee at 0400, and enjoy the trip with no traffic.

Get there, splash the boat, enjoy it, and slowly ramp up for longer trips where as already suggested you will want an auto pilot.

That is a fine boat if it is is decent shape and usually restorable if not...
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 14:30   #21

All great advice...thank you
david63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 21:16   #22

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

If you decide to trailer the boat check out the SS Badger (https://www.ssbadger.com) to see if you can load the trailer on for a trip across the lake from Manitowoc to Muskegon. It would be pricey but would save a lot of driving. The ferry trip is about 4 hours and is a lot of fun as well as saving time. They take large trucks across so I don’t see why they couldn’t take your truck/trailer/boat rig.

Sailing it over would take some time. Other comments on the route to take are sound. Look for weather windows and then go! The longest passage would be from Sturgeon Bay to South Manitou Island. All the rest are shorter hops.

Good luck!
Old 26-06-2019, 02:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:19   #24

Boat: Catalina 350

Also recommend trailering it home, then getting used to the boat and working out the bugs at home on Lake St Clair.

We frequently trailer a Seaward 25 (approx 6000 lbs) to destinations on the East Coast and Great Lakes. No big deal if you're used to towing things. We use a Ford Expedition to tow ours. Hardly know it's back there. If you don't do this stuff yourself, then have a shop go over the brakes and repack the bearings before you go. Also replace tires if over a few years old or if they show signs of weather checking. This will prevent you from having to do this stuff on the side of the road mid-trip.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes