Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2022, 21:24   #1

Boat: Ontario 32
Great Lakes Water Levels

Now that it is once again spring, all Great Lakes sailors are again keenly aware of the challenges posed by high water levels in the lakes. What is not generally acknowledged by the media, or government officials, is that these dangerously high levels are the result of excessive amounts of a substance called dihydrogen monoxide, which is present in our lakes. To be blunt, our lakes need wetter water. To this end, I am proposing that we create a new organization, the Sailors’ Order of Wetter Water, or SOWW for short, to lobby government organizations on both sides of the border for better control of the levels of dihydrogen monoxide in our lakes.

Studious sailors will undoubtedly acknowledge that certain levels of dihydrogen monoxide are essential in the pursuit of our sport, but all sailors will recognize that excessive amounts are exceedingly dangerous, especially when storms cause large volumes of that substance to be thrown into the air. Indeed, I have it on good authority that all living creatures who have ingested dihydrogen monoxide have ultimately died, the sole exception being certain single-celled organisms which simply continue to divide and conquer, especially when they are eating the brains of poor sailors. (Denialists may claim that there is no proven causal link between the ingestion of dihydrogen monoxide and ultimate demise, but we say where there’s smoke . . .)

If we find sufficient support from this and other sailing forums, we shall proceed to formally organize. Our anticipated logo design is that of a deliriously happy pink pig splashing in a puddle. (Serious submissions for the logo design will be gratefully received and considered.) So, if you are concerned about the water levels in our Great Lakes, please indicate your willingness to become a part of the SOWW. With your help and support, we can undoubtedly influence our governing bodies to take some action about the excessive levels of dihydrogen monoxide (H20) which are causing great concern for both sailors and cottage owners.

Oh, and welcome to an April spring on the Great Lakes! Fair winds and calm seas!
Old 01-04-2022, 03:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Great Lakes Water Levels

In the spring of 1997, a 14-year-old’s school science fair project made a convincing argument to ban a dangerous chemical compound: dihydrogen monoxide, known as DHMO.
More ➥ https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...rogen-monoxide
And ➥ https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.6bcac1794ef0

Dihydrogen Monoxide FAQ ➥ Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:09   #3

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

We didn't get as much of a freeze the last 2 winters and the water levels are coming back down. I put in last Friday. And my depth to waterline was 7.6. The water level in my slip peaked at 10.4'. I draw 5.5' if this trend continues I won't be able to fit in my slip anymore. If anything, we need more DHMO in our lakes.

You can compare the attached pictures and see the change in relation to the level of the deck and the dock. I did move 1 slip over, but the depth was the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_191931.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	255510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220401_160533.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	255511  

Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:13   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

I note that there are problems not only with the quantity of said chemical, but with its localization: simply put, it's not always where you want it.

With that in mind I would suggest also advocating for a just-in-time (JIT) delivery system to transport it around the lakes, removing excess from one location and placing it where it's needed.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

LAKE LEVEL CONDITIONS [Apr 01, 2022]

The forecasted April 1st water level for Lake Superior is near its level from March 1st.
All remaining lakes experienced a rise in water levels over the past month;
Lake Michigan-Huron rose 2-inches,
Lake Erie rose 4-inches,
and Lakes St. Clair and Ontario each rose 6 inches.
Water levels are lower than a year ago on all lakes except Lake Erie which is near its 2021 level and Lake Ontario, which is 20 inches above its 2021 level.
Water levels on the Great Lakes are above their long-term April averages, except Lake Superior which is 5 inches below its long-term April average. Lake Superior is the only lake currently below chart datum.
Over the next month, forecasts indicate a 4-inch rise on Lakes Superior, Michigan-Huron and Erie, a 2-inch rise on Lake St. Clair, and 6-inch rise on Lake Ontario. See our Daily Levels web page for more water level information.
Water levels shown are still-water surface elevations over the entire lake surface. Water levels at specific locations may differ substantially due to meteorological influences.
More ➥ https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Water-Levels/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:24   #6

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
We didn't get as much of a freeze the last 2 winters and the water levels are coming back down. I put in last Friday. And my depth to waterline was 7.6. The water level in my slip peaked at 10.4'. I draw 5.5' if this trend continues I won't be able to fit in my slip anymore. If anything, we need more DHMO in our lakes.

You can compare the attached pictures and see the change in relation to the level of the deck and the dock. I did move 1 slip over, but the depth was the same.
molecule

It appears that you not only need more DHMO but of the kind where the molecular bond is 90 degrees to the usual DHMO, (trans isomer?)
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 13:02   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I have amazing photos of the 2017 and 2019 floods and as a scuba diver have a unique view of pollution in the Great Lakes. The forever chemicals leaching down scads of plastic floating and unknown micro plastics. There is an international Great Lakes group which funds worthy developments
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 13:44   #8

The floating debris on the lake was pretty incredible for a while. Made my share of radio calls to the coast guard about hazards to navigation coming down the river and out the channel. I know a few boats had issues because of striking objects. Plastics are a menace. Masks are turning up as debris when fishing now as well. Overall however, the water seems to be cleaner than it was 25-30 years ago.
Old 05-04-2022, 19:33   #9

Boat: Ontario 32

Hello everyone,
I started this thread as a bit of April Fools fun, but I am very happy to see it going off into a useful direction. My thanks for contributions which are fun, or practical, or both (which is even better). I was examining our harbour here in Lake Ontario this afternoon and I was struck by how remarkably clear the water in our creek is at the moment. Even with the recent periods of rain, we are not seeing a lot of silt or other crap washing through. Of course, there was one massive deadhead floating in the middle of the harbour, looking a lot like Ogo Pogo. Our levels are currently quite respectable, but still look to be about 2 feet below the 2019 record levels. I didn't really pay attention in 2021 because my baby was up on the hard for the season, getting refitted.
Old 05-04-2022, 20:00   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Now that it is once again spring, all Great Lakes sailors are again keenly aware of the challenges posed by high water levels in the lakes.
Pollution issues aside, if you have too much water, I’ve got a lake (Navajo Lake, CO/NM) that would be happy to take your excess. I suspect Lake Mead and Lake Powell would also be potential customers!
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 20:15   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I suppose it’s only matter of time until Great Lakes get siphoned off like western waters. Until then spring levels will rise and drop. High water got us into typically unavailable places and kept the powerboats at bay. Low waters give us a view of wrecks and shorelines not seen in decades. We adapt either way.

I can’t imagine what spring at Niagara Falls and st Lawrence River looked like before all the water control.
Old 05-04-2022, 21:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I suppose it’s only matter of time until Great Lakes get siphoned off like western waters. Until then spring levels will rise and drop. High water got us into typically unavailable places and kept the powerboats at bay. Low waters give us a view of wrecks and shorelines not seen in decades. We adapt either way.

I can’t imagine what spring at Niagara Falls and st Lawrence River looked like before all the water control.

Slight tangent, but the recently opened exhibition at the old Niagara power station on the Canadian side showcases the incredible engineering involved in harnessing the energy of the Falls. Definitely worth a look for those passing by.
torpnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:25   #13

There is a great lakes states agreement not to allow the water to be siphoned off to other states. If they were to try, it very likely would be the most vandalized construction in history. Western states are more likely to get blood and bullets than they are water from the great lakes. A lot of us take conservation of these lakes very seriously. Around me, we do bank clean up and divers clean the bottom of the river around the towns. Magnet fishing is becoming more popular too. Plastic debris is down overall, but what we find has changed a bit. Haven't gone out to look yet this year, but I'm betting we see less masks than last year.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:32   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

https://glos.org/priorities/smart-great-lakes/

Anyway if you scuba dove a couple wrecks just on the edge of Toronto’s harbour for 30 years you get a new view. The city had to tear down some spent building so they built two beautiful spits east and west. The Leslie spit was a hand back to nature Underwater beside the shipwreck Sligo clouds of concrete dust fell on the plants which run on a plateau 60’ deep past 3 more cities west. The smothered plants and active salmon always near the wreck took 12 years to recover
Toronto is Cree - where great rivers merge.
The rivers have some 6 million people toss bits of plastic away end up in the harbour and the islands shores. It litters the two beautiful spits. Toronto has deployed two autonomous boats to track plastic.
You can help in your area by buying a Sea Bin from those crazy surfers in Australia
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:33   #15

The Invisible Killer:
Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless chemical that kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide are many. Even prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and blood electrolyte imbalance. DMHO withdrawal means certain death within days.

Dihydrogen Monoxide:
- Is also called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
- Contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
- May cause severe burns.
- Is fatal if inhaled.
- Contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
- Accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
- May cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions:
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake and reservoir. And the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic Ice.

The US Navy and NATO country counterparts are spending massive amounts of funds regarding this substance as it has the ability to inadvertently both float their boats and cause them to sink. Very problematic to all mariners.

DMHO is an existential threat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DHMO.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	255569  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, water