Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 17:38   #1

Great Loop with a $100k Budget

We are putting together our long term plan to do the great loop in a few years. Would like thoughts on how some of you would plan for this with these factors.

Budget $100k for one year trip (more or less on the one year). Not in a hurry.
That would be to buy boat, provisions, mooring, etc.

Prefer not to "rough" it too much but wanting to enjoy the trip and eventually do it again or branch out to other cruising grounds.

Have 15 years sailing experience including racing and chartering. Wife enjoys the water but not a big fan of "camping". But she is a good sport as long as we are seeing lots of great country along the way.

Have read tons of blogs on others trips like this as well as the Great Loop Association but would like your suggestions on boat, planning, etc.

For example buy a really old boat for less money and stay in marina every nite, or newer turnkey smaller boat and anchor more often etc.

Thanks
Tfoster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 17:41   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Great Loop with a $100k Budget

I would think the Great Loop would be a lot easier on a power boat. No??
Old 26-08-2014, 18:02   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfoster100 View Post
........... Budget $100k for one year trip (more or less on the one year). Not in a hurry.
That would be to buy boat, provisions, mooring, etc.............
I think you need that $100K just to buy and equip the boat. As for the actual trip, you need to know the boat first to figure fuel and marina costs.

There's a great loop association made up of people who have done this trip or are planning on doing it and I suggest joining it for the best information.

I'll make this suggestion: Buy the boat at least a year before starting the trip and take shorter trips on it first. See what improvements you need to make to the boat and see how you enjoy cruising and being together for weeks at a time.
Old 26-08-2014, 18:14   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I'm half way around the Loup (in WI) with a trawler type. Second or third year depending on how one counts. 100 boat bucks should be plenty if you consider the boat value at the end of the trip. Whether you stay at marinas a lot will depend on your desires. Lots of folks do and much of the socializing happens there. As personal choice as well as pinching the penny causes our anchor to get a lot of use.

I've thought that if staying in marinas every night was the preference that a smaller cruiser with a comfortable berth but basic other amenities would make more sense than a large boat. If one could get by with a 20 something boat the dockage would be less and going slow the fuel use could be kept very low.

Our preference is to be independent and not worry about where we will next need civilization. Our boat is an older 42 foot and is about right for us. A newer design in the 36-40 foot range would be more efficient but more $ up front.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 19:21   #5

Thanks for the good suggestions. The more I read and hear the more I understand it's a lot about trade offs for one thing or another. I like the idea of getting one a year in advance and seeing how it goes close to home. Been thinking of this for about 5 years. Eager to just get started.
Tfoster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 19:55   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

If you want a robust, easily sailed, genuine water sailing">blue water sailing boat that has a proven record of round the world sailing, suitable for 2 people, with a decent price tag, have a look and the S&S 34...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 20:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
If you want a robust, easily sailed, genuine blue water sailing boat that has a proven record of round the world sailing, suitable for 2 people, with a decent price tag, have a look and the S&S 34...
The "Great Loop" doesn't involve much ocean sailing.

Great Loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 04:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TFoster.

Tim?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 05:41   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

a guy i knew did it in a power boat (around 24') with twin outboards. it had a pilot house with enclosed steering and small V birth.
Old 27-08-2014, 06:34   #10

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Great Loop with a $100k Budget

I know of a 34' Marine Trader in NC for 25K. Nice boat. Lehman diesel. Ideal for a couple, with minimal "roughing it". Do the trip, swap boat for sailboat for the next trip. Life goes on.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 06:50   #11

If the $100K is just for the Great Loop...and not part of your normal boating lifestyle...why not use it to do the REAL Great Loop and cruise or fly around the world in luxury visiting the natural and man-made wonders of the world? Spain/Italy/Greece/Turkey/AUS-NZ/Japan/Easter Island/Peru/Chile...?
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 07:57   #12
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfoster100 View Post

Have read tons of blogs
Have you followed these girls? Route | KATIE & JESSIE on a boat

We met Katie and Jessie (and their dog Reggie) in No Name Harbor the evening before we crossed to the Bahamas. They rowed their dink over to our boat and gave us their boat card. I think they said hi to everyone in the anchorage. Great girls!

Make that two girls, a dog, and a cat, on a Cal 27. I think they are about to wrap up their voyage of the Great Loop. Not sure what their budget was, but guessing way less than $100K.

Ralph
Adult pool | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:18   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Some people do the Great Loop just to say they have done it. Others do it for the chance to see places and meet people and enjoy the trip.

You can do it in a 20' center console or even a pontoon boat but if you want to enjoy yourself and be comfortable, you should consider a bigger boat. One where you can spend a year or more together in comfort and one seaworthy enough to transit the rough water portions safely and comfortably.

I'm a trawler owner, not a sailboater, but I can say this; you won't be able to do a lot of sailing on this trip and you'll have to have the mast removed for some portions.
Old 27-08-2014, 08:37   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Keep in mind that there is a 150 mile offshore passage between Apalachicola and Tarpon Springs, unless you have a very shallow draft.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 09:19   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I would love to do the Great Loop someday but wouldn't even dream of it in sailboat. So I think I will save that for when I get to the point that I don't feel like sailing anymore and am ready for the transition to a trawler.

Tags
budget